: Smoke

DaveT90
06-07-09, 12:51 PM
How long will a '98 seville smoke after a head gasket fix?

97EldoCoupe
06-07-09, 01:41 PM
This depends on the amount of coolant in the exhaust system. If it has really built up, it can take quite a while. Give it a good long run with plenty of WOT runs. The more WOT, the better. It needs the increased exhaust flow and pressure to heat the exhaust system up and push the coolant out.

If it's not cleared up within a couple of hundred miles, with plenty of WOT, something may be wrong.

One car I worked on had so much coolant in the exhaust system that I could shake the mufflers and hear the coolant sloshing around.

Remember vapors can look very similar to coolant smoke. Coolant smoke will stay low and not disappear very easily, vapor will rise quickly and disappear fast.

Akiragrey
06-07-09, 02:29 PM
vapors can look very similar to coolant smoke. Coolant smoke will stay low and not disappear very easily, vapor will rise quickly and disappear fast.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what are "vapors" ?

Standard exhaust or are you referring to a symptom of a different potential problem?

DaveT90
06-07-09, 03:06 PM
The car had a very bad head gasket problem. After we fixed the car, we put in 50 miles on highway.

When i was on the highway around 60 -70 mph no smoke occured. Then when i ran on WOT, it would puff out like a dark grey, whiteish smoke but the smoke would vanish quickly. The "check engine light" comes on with the code in the muffler sensor. Should i change this sensor or will this clear?

What do you guys think? Just keep running it, or the car is eating oil?

Thanks

creeker
06-07-09, 03:37 PM
[quote=97EldoCoupe;1901892]This depends on the amount of coolant in the exhaust system. If it has really built up, it can take quite a while. Give it a good long run with plenty of WOT runs. The more WOT, the better. It needs the increased exhaust flow and pressure to heat the exhaust system up and push the coolant out.

If it's not cleared up within a couple of hundred miles, with plenty of WOT, something may be wrong.

One car I worked on had so much coolant in the exhaust system that I could shake the mufflers and hear the coolant sloshing around.

Remember vapors can look very similar to coolant smoke. Coolant smoke will stay low and not disappear very easily, vapor will rise quickly and disappear fast.[/

Would it hurt to drill a small hole in the muffler?, this used to be a common practice with a new muffler.

Submariner409
06-07-09, 05:13 PM
Your mufflers should already have weep holes drilled - there may be quite a bit of coolant in the cat (cross your fingers on that one) and/or the resonator just after cat.

97EldoCoupe
06-07-09, 05:44 PM
Vapors, what I'm referring to, is normal condensation from moisture in the air, or build-up in the exhaust system.

Yes you can drill small holes, say no larger than 1/8" at the lowest point in the muffler if you need to.

WOT will clean out the system, so that should explain the puff of white smoke. Shouldn't last much longer if the heads are sealing properly.

Best of luck with your Caddy.

Ranger
06-07-09, 09:21 PM
Maybe the weep holes are clogged. Try opening them with a finishing nail.