: 08 STS Tire Change to a Taller Tire?

Vince59
06-06-09, 10:38 PM
Just traded my 03 CTS with the Sport FE3 suspension for an 08 STS 4 that came with Michelin Energy LX4 wheels 235/50-17. In the seven weeks that I have owned the STS I have dented the right front wheel three times, last Saturday I replaced the right front wheel with a new OEM wheel and last night I dented it on the way home from the Sox game:dammit:

In the six years I owned the CTS, I only dented one wheel, it's obvious to me that these soft Michelins offer very little wheel protection and they also look small on the car, I'm thinking of putting 235/55-17's with a stiff sidewall on the car, the diameter of this tire is about an inch larger than the 235/50-17.

I'm thinking the extra sidewall will offer more protection for the wheel, and
aesthetically it will fill the wheel well better, does anyone have any experience putting a taller tire on this car?

And was there any negatives as related to the electronics?

Any input or experience is greatly appreciated.

Vince

SwissSTS
06-10-09, 04:48 AM
My STS4 has with 18 inch wheels. For the winter season I bought extra 17 inches wheels and I have 235/55-17 tires. They actually are closer to the diameter of the 18 inch tires. So no issues with that size.

bbshriver
06-10-09, 08:54 AM
I put on 245/50/17, which achieves basically the same effect. Wider tire looks better too.

EChas3
06-10-09, 10:48 PM
Just traded my 03 CTS with the Sport FE3 suspension for an 08 STS 4 that came with Michelin Energy LX4 wheels 235/50-17. In the seven weeks that I have owned the STS I have dented the right front wheel three times, last Saturday I replaced the right front wheel with a new OEM wheel and last night I dented it on the way home from the Sox game:dammit:

In the six years I owned the CTS, I only dented one wheel, it's obvious to me that these soft Michelins offer very little wheel protection and they also look small on the car, I'm thinking of putting 235/55-17's with a stiff sidewall on the car, the diameter of this tire is about an inch larger than the 235/50-17.

I'm thinking the extra sidewall will offer more protection for the wheel, and
aesthetically it will fill the wheel well better, does anyone have any experience putting a taller tire on this car?

And was there any negatives as related to the electronics?

Any input or experience is greatly appreciated.

Vince

You might check with a dealer or tuner about recalibrating the speedometer. (in Chicago you have options!) There may be room to go a bit bigger yet.:yup:

Vince59
06-11-09, 10:34 AM
I put on 245/50/17, which achieves basically the same effect. Wider tire looks better too.
I was thinking of doing the same thing, that size gives you and extra .2 in of sidewall height and .4 in of width.
Now I was thinking of using the Kumho Ecsta ASX but it doesn't come in 245/50/17, but it does come in 255/50/17 which would increase the height by .39 in and the width by .78 in.

I talked to the service writer at my dealer the other day and he said he has seen cars with 22's and it doesn't effect the ABS or Stabilitrak.

On a quick side he said they recently had a customer bring his Escalade in with all air bags detonated, the guy put 28's on it and he hit a pothole that set off all the airbag sensors, $8,000.00 in airbags and he kept the 28's on the Slade LMAO.

What brand and model of tire did you go with?

Vince59
06-11-09, 10:37 AM
You might check with a dealer or tuner about recalibrating the speedometer. (in Chicago you have options!) There may be room to go a bit bigger yet.:yup:

That's what I was thinking, see my post above.

The speedo diff is 2.89% slower with the 255/50/17.

bbshriver
06-11-09, 11:04 AM
Bridgestone Turenza Serenity

255 might be good as well, but I had decided I wanted the bridgestone and 245 was the widest available for 17" wheel. I hear there is a good Michelin as well in 255.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, that size gives you and extra .2 in of sidewall height and .4 in of width.
Now I was thinking of using the Kumho Ecsta ASX but it doesn't come in 245/50/17, but it does come in 255/50/17 which would increase the height by .39 in and the width by .78 in.

I talked to the service writer at my dealer the other day and he said he has seen cars with 22's and it doesn't effect the ABS or Stabilitrak.

On a quick side he said they recently had a customer bring his Escalade in with all air bags detonated, the guy put 28's on it and he hit a pothole that set off all the airbag sensors, $8,000.00 in airbags and he kept the 28's on the Slade LMAO.

What brand and model of tire did you go with?