: Put new tires on the SRX today.

z32drifter
06-06-09, 10:32 PM
I thought I would start a new tire thread. No questions just a tire review to help future tire shoppers. I bought a set of Nitto NT420S in 255/55/18 to replace my previous miss-matched setup. I replaced the 235s on the front of our SRX about 10K miles ago. I put the stock Michelin 255 rears on the front and put a pair of 255 Bridgestones on the rear (I work for a dealer so the Bridgestones were a good pair of takeoffs from a BMW X5). As I expected, after 10K miles I never found any reason to go back with the 235 fronts. My wife never noticed any difference running the larger front tires.
I installed the new tires today. As I expected the 109V load and speed rating increased the sidewall stiffness over the stock Michelins. I have not put enough miles on them yet to provide a full review. So far the ride has improved, tire noise is decreased, and they feel very responsive.

Here is what they look like.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/nitrh5.ang.jpg

here's a link.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=40263&counter=1&ar=55&rd=18&sw=false&cs=255

Price was $528 shipped. I'll do a follow up post in a few weeks, I have a trip to the Carolinas in a few weeks. I expect I will have 2500+ miles on them by the end of the 4th of July weekend.

dctex99
06-07-09, 10:19 PM
I will add my two cents to the tire forum;;blew out a rear Goodyear Eagle in a rainstorm in Iowa...heading back to California..could not find a 255/60/17 for 50 miles either side of me; so drove 150 miles on the tiny spare to Des Moines; paid $228 installed for a Bridgetone ulenza...got ripped for sure; including mandatory road hazard; even tho I don't have a TiresPlus for a thousand miles from me. Turns out the tire is very highly rated; and will match the other side...don;'t know why I am onlly getting 25k from these wonderful Goodyears as it is gently driven by my wife with a v6. I got more miles from my cheapos on my Corvette powered GTO!!:mad2:

USAFRET
06-08-09, 11:23 AM
I've been obsessing over how much it'll cost to replace the OEM Michelin's ever since I bought our 2009 CPO V6 SRX since my SRX had 19,400 miles on the clock when I bought it.

These tires and reviews will let me sleep at night. Do these tires have a built-in RIM PROTECTOR like other high end tires?

Less than $600 for a better tire is almost making me wish I needed new tires right now :)

Cheers

Tom

USAFRET
06-08-09, 11:29 AM
I've been obsessing over how much it'll cost to replace the OEM Michelin's ever since I bought our 2009 CPO V6 SRX since my SRX had 19,400 miles on the clock when I bought it.

These tires and reviews will let me sleep at night. Do these tires have a built-in RIM PROTECTOR like other high end tires?

Less than $600 for a better tire is almost making me wish I needed new tires right now :)

Cheers

Tom

debbo
06-08-09, 09:25 PM
Have an 06 SRX with about 34,000 mi. The dealer wanted $700 for 2 new tires on the front. I got 2 Michelin 235/60R18 at BJ's for a mere $550. Now, when I pull away from a stop, it seems that the tires aren't gripping the road and the "traction engaged" message is displayed. The car seems to be a bit sluggish. BJ's checked everything out and said the tires are correct--the problem must be caused by the difference in tread depth between the front and rear. Of course, this points to the solution of purchasing new rear tires when none are actually needed. Anyone ever had this problem? I'm worried that I'm doing damage to the car.

z32drifter
06-08-09, 10:04 PM
Do these tires have a built-in RIM PROTECTOR like other high end tires?

Yes, they do have a rim protector built into the sidwall. One additional advantage of the 255 all around setup, wheel protection. The 255s make it harder to curb the wheel even without a rim protector.

Don73
06-08-09, 10:18 PM
Is there another reason for going with all the same size tires besides being able to rotate them?

Northern SRX
06-09-09, 06:25 AM
Have an 06 SRX with about 34,000 mi. The dealer wanted $700 for 2 new tires on the front. I got 2 Michelin 235/60R18 at BJ's for a mere $550. Now, when I pull away from a stop, it seems that the tires aren't gripping the road and the "traction engaged" message is displayed. The car seems to be a bit sluggish. BJ's checked everything out and said the tires are correct--the problem must be caused by the difference in tread depth between the front and rear. Of course, this points to the solution of purchasing new rear tires when none are actually needed. Anyone ever had this problem? I'm worried that I'm doing damage to the car.

You don't say if you have AWD. If you do, then you could run into problems have different treadwear from front to back - doing otherwise can lead to premature wear of AWD drivetrain components. Your best bet, unfortunately, is to swap all four at the same time.

If your SRX is RWD, I don't see the problem.

debbo
06-09-09, 08:27 AM
yes,it is AWD. I was led to replace the front 2 only since the dealer had proposed to do that.

USAFRET
06-09-09, 09:19 AM
Yes, they do have a rim protector built into the sidwall. One additional advantage of the 255 all around setup, wheel protection. The 255s make it harder to curb the wheel even without a rim protector.

I hate to say this but rim protector's have saved my marriage more than once :lol::lol:

conedoctor
06-09-09, 10:27 AM

It will not hurt the car.

The front and rear are not the same height from factory, they are real close but the tread depth will not be enough to matter.

This has been beat to death, these cars have open diffs.

For all the people worried about hurting the "AWD" go measure up your spare tire, if I remember correct it is inchs off the factory size and the book that no one reads that comes in the glove box says 5000KM you can drive on that spare.

You should do all 4 with the same for equal grip levels and stuff but if you are getting wheel spin after changing them then I would look further.

dctex99
06-09-09, 11:12 PM
I will add my two cents to the tire forum;;blew out a rear Goodyear Eagle in a rainstorm in Iowa...heading back to California..could not find a 255/60/17 for 50 miles either side of me; so drove 150 miles on the tiny spare to Des Moines; paid $228 installed for a Bridgetone ulenza...got ripped for sure; including mandatory road hazard; even tho I don't have a TiresPlus for a thousand miles from me. Turns out the tire is very highly rated; and will match the other side...don;'t know why I am onlly getting 25k from these wonderful Goodyears as it is gently driven by my wife with a v6. I got more miles from my cheapos on my Corvette powered GTO!!:mad2:

Further research finds MANY people have had blowouts on the goodyears; and many getting barely 20k miles on them;;will dump the other 3 on mine..

Northern SRX
06-10-09, 06:14 AM

The front and rear are not the same height from factory, they are real close but the tread depth will not be enough to matter.

For all the people worried about hurting the "AWD" go measure up your spare tire, if I remember correct it is inchs off the factory size and the book that no one reads that comes in the glove box says 5000KM you can drive on that spare.

You should do all 4 with the same for equal grip levels and stuff but if you are getting wheel spin after changing them then I would look further.

You're right, of course. Re-reading my post, I made it sound like a calamity waiting to happen and, of course, it's not the case with open differentials. I wrote in haste.

Still, I maintain that it's not a good idea to have different diameters fore and aft (or side to side) because of how the system reads rotation and how it will distribute traction in response to those readings. I suspect that it cannot be good for the mechanical components - or the tires - over the long run if the traction control keeps coming on to adjust for different tire diameters. Or have I gotten it wrong all these years?

conedoctor
06-10-09, 03:03 PM
You have had it wrong for this car, if you have an LSD center than it may hurt parts, the TC will not come on until it sees a wheel spin x amount more than the rest or maybe add in a little TPS value as well really not sure but it is not going to come on if tires are not spinning out of control.

The ABS sensor does not have that high a resolution, not sure how much out it can detect.

TTopJohn
06-10-09, 04:52 PM
While the slight difference in tire height that results from new tires on the front and old tires on the rear SHOULDN'T be enough to throw anything out of whack, Debbo does deem to be having a legitimate problem - he's reporting traction control engaged messages all the time.

Confusing the computer with different tire heights is something that could cause these messages.

On the other hand, other causes can be: nailing the gas on slick surfaces more than usuual, or brand new tires that are a little slick until they heat cycle a few times.

Paulie Walnuts
06-13-09, 04:02 PM
I've had the identical set of tires and size on my 2004 srx with n* and all wheel drive. About 40K miles - hwy so far. No problems or regrets. Tred pattern and same size all around makes rotation a breeze - good thing - Only advice - rotate often!!!! Mine tend to wear a little funny on the inner track - I can hear it when they need a rotation or it's time for a oil change. At hwy speeds they are silent - slow city and turning, a bit loud when they need moving around. Very quiet at first but now I must keep an eye on them as well as keep them inflated properly. Got to admit though - I actually get a lot of comments on the tread. These are WAY better than my old Mich's or Pirelli's.

jwoodie
06-13-09, 07:58 PM
OK, now you've got me totally confused: Are we talking about the stock staggered sizing having different diameters or same size (replacement) tires with different amounts of tread wear? Also, are the (OEM?) Goodyear tires ResponseEdge or something else? Or are we talking about 20" GY's?

I have 25k on OEM 18" Pilots with no discernible wear pattern inequality. I am leaning toward eventually replacing them with GY/RE tires, which have better rim protection and are cheaper. I understand the theory behind 4 wheel rotation, but am not sure it is needed with the SRX's 50/50 weight distribution.
:stirpot:

dctex99
06-15-09, 12:21 AM

Yes, OM says you can drive 3000 miles on that funky spare; going 150 miles was the longests 3 hours of my life

conedoctor
06-15-09, 03:38 PM
Yes but you can do it without damage.

Weight does may be 50/50 but loads are not, when is the last time your rear tires turned or did any braking?

johnb21
06-15-09, 09:40 PM
i have the stock size on 18", Response Edge.
Very happy with them.

I think the have very good performance. You may be able to find a better tire for the snow.

I perfer performance.

louisn
06-21-09, 10:47 AM
Bought the Kumho Venture-staggered sizes per OEM. So far so good-Wife and i can't believe how quiet they are...She also mentioned the handling was better and the ride was smoother. Right at $615 for all four mounted, balanced including an 8% sales tax. They do look a little more SUVish, aggressive-sidewall has a rather aggressive design-- than the Michs which had about 3/32 left after 30,000 miles and 4.5 years. The Michs would have been more like $1100 total. Kumho is rated A, A and 600 treadwear and did well on Tirerack survey. The OEM Michs were near the bottom of the same survey.

z32drifter
06-23-09, 08:40 PM
Well 900 miles later I'm still happy with the Nittos. The ride is as nice as the factory Michelins, mine did have 20k on they when I got them. No vibrations even at speeds beyond normal interstate use. They are quiet, no unusual noise detected so far... hard to compare to the old worn out tires, they were quiet when new as well. Dry grip is much better than the OE Michelins, no wet weather use so far. Going to put another 1000 miles on them over the 4th.

louisn
06-23-09, 10:17 PM
Taking into account Tire Rack low survey ratings, other reviews, and the cost, I can't see why anyone would buy the stock Michs as replacement tires>>>>