: Sunroof Broken Part Help

Unique Distributing
06-06-09, 12:35 AM
Hey guys
I have a 05 STS and when i open the sunroof there is a black plastic piece that is like a track. it also pops up when you open the sunroof. This piece has snapped somehow and it wont alow the sunroof to close. Now my question is .. Does anyone know the name of this part? and anyone know where i can get a new one for cheap?

thanks for your help.

BlackedouT STS
06-06-09, 08:54 PM
I had the same thing happen with mine, but luckily it happened while my car was still under warranty. Unfortunately that piece is part of the sunroof track which means the whole sunroof track has to be replaced in order to fix it. If it snapped at the pivot point you might be able to fix it with a pop rivet or a small nut and bolt.

Unique Distributing
06-08-09, 01:41 AM
i think this is just the wind deflector... i am wondering if i were to take it off all togather if it would cause any problems with the sunroof?

BlackedouT STS
06-08-09, 10:21 AM
I think the sunroof sits on top of it when its closed. when mine was messed up my sunroof was sitting crooked when it was closed.

Unique Distributing
06-08-09, 04:15 PM
just found out that the piece cost 364$ lol i will be removing it

MescalVto
04-11-12, 12:56 PM
Hey,

Were you able to remove it without issues?

aliskerov
04-11-12, 06:20 PM
I had the same thing happen on a different car. I just took the piece out all together. At high speeds you would get a weird wind vibration due to the wind coming into the cabin, but no one could even tell something was missing - even the next owner :P

97EldETC
04-16-12, 11:13 PM
We had one just replaced on the other car (01 Buick Lesabre Limited). It broke one day when closing it last summer. It was stuck open for a long long time. Then we pulled it shut, and it was then stuck closed for a long long time. It cost $1800 to fix! I hope yours was cheaper!

06 STS Rob
04-18-12, 07:51 PM
Mine broke last month and I couldn't close the sun roof. I just split it and pulled the piece that was keeping it from closing off. I haven't had any issues with water, wind, or anything yet...

EChas3
04-18-12, 08:49 PM
Don't be surprised at the repair estimate. Almost all sunroofs use mylar strips with slots for a gear/motor and aren't easy to replace.

Constance83
04-18-12, 10:07 PM
http://www.heritems.info/avatar3.jpgI had the same thing happen with mine, but luckily it happened while my car was still under warranty