: cabin filters

djnash
06-05-09, 05:23 PM
i just purchased charcoal filters for my 05 STS on e-bay 2ea for 45.98 and $5.00 shipping from Seller User ID: freshcabinair. these were a lot less than dealer prices. just thought i'd share in case anyone was interested. the ad
didn't say that they were carbon filters but they are.

Dadollac1
06-05-09, 05:42 PM
Did you install one yet? If so how easy was the install. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate it?

ajmasala
06-05-09, 06:00 PM
RockAuto sells the Bosch Charcoal filters for $29.79 each - Part # C3859.
I just replaced the filter on my STS (after 16K miles). It is an exact fit - I think the OEM brand is Micron.

It is not technically challenging to replace the cabin air filter. However, you need some patience and dexterous hands (6 on a difficulty scale of 10 - No points to the Cadillac engineers for poor design). The replacement filter (from Bosch) comes with instructions. There are also some posts on this forum that explain other members' experience with replacing this filter.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/169810-sts-cabin-air-filter-change.html

djnash
06-06-09, 08:39 AM
it was easy to install just remove a couple of nuts and you gain access to the filter area. the owners manual and threads on this forum are a great source of info. i'd give:welcome::patriot: it a 4 on a scale of 1-10

EChas3
06-10-09, 10:38 PM
RockAuto sells the Bosch Charcoal filters for $29.79 each - Part # C3859.
I just replaced the filter on my STS (after 16K miles). It is an exact fit - I think the OEM brand is Micron.

It is not technically challenging to replace the cabin air filter. However, you need some patience and dexterous hands (6 on a difficulty scale of 10 - No points to the Cadillac engineers for poor design). The replacement filter (from Bosch) comes with instructions. There are also some posts on this forum that explain other members' experience with replacing this filter.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/169810-sts-cabin-air-filter-change.html

I'd say it's a 2 of 10 on difficulty. I just did it in 15 minutes on my 2006. The OEM filter is higher quality than the Bosch but at 3 years+ & 47,000 miles I don't think the original had ever been changed! It's like the linked thread shows. It takes a bit of flexing of the filter, but this is not hard at all.

The Bosch instructions incorrectly state that there are 4 screws. I had three 7mm hex bolts. A stubby nut driver would be perfect but I used a small ratchet & universal joint with a socket.

I bought 2, not seeing that 2007 is not listed under the same part. I may pull the cover off my wife's car to see how different it really is. The fit doesn't need to be perfect to still catch most of the dust. I may just plan on changing mine again in a year.

EChas3
06-13-09, 08:20 PM
2007 can use the same filter. Either it had been changed or GM began using a cheaper filter. The Bosch is as good or better than the one I found in the 2007.

KARL DAHLEN
06-21-09, 11:00 AM
Check out Ebay 170346279177. I just put one in and fits like a glove. Fram has charcoal and baking soda embedded. Can't beat the price.

Thunder Gray STS
06-21-09, 06:33 PM
Do all STS' have a cabin filter? I looked in the area specified and don't see anything remotely close to what is being described. I have a 2008 model.

KARL DAHLEN
06-21-09, 07:21 PM
Yes they do. Not easy to get to. Right side engine compartment behind the battery. You have to remove the cowling that is held by three screws and then pop off the cover to the filter compartment underneath.

Thunder Gray STS
06-21-09, 08:20 PM
Ok thanks Karl. What a silly way to access a maintenance item :annoyed:

EChas3
06-22-09, 12:11 AM
Ok thanks Karl. What a silly way to access a maintenance item :annoyed:

Try checking the transmission fluid...:rant2:

dkozloski
06-22-09, 12:18 AM
Try checking the transmission fluid...:rant2:
Why would you want to do that? The transmission is sealed to keep out the riff-raff and is not meant to be serviced.

R1chard
06-22-09, 12:37 AM
Why would you want to do that? The transmission is sealed to keep out the riff-raff and is not meant to be serviced.

I think he was being sarcastic. :hide:

porkfarm
06-22-09, 11:18 AM

So is the Gas tank. But GM service just replaced that on my car also...
Lots of "Filled for life fluids" are starting to turn to 50K service.