: old rockford fosgate enclosure drivers blew chunks

Heide264
06-05-09, 11:07 AM
So it sounded good for about 3 hits... apparently a 20yr old or so doesn't react well to being shaken up. Sooo, looking to replace the drivers in it.

Its an old ported dual enclosure. The woofers are oriented opposite the port if I remember right, and I have always thought they were 8". However, without the foam, I am going to have to pull them out and check because they feel pretty small now and might actually be 6".

I was looking to see what people suggested for replacement drivers. I was thinking a set of JLs of some sort. The enclosure is powered by a USAmps150. I need a new amp though anyhow one way or another for the doors so might get a bigger one for the sub if needed.

Don't need any huge amounts of power, just a decent amount so I can hear it well if I'm going 50mph with the windows down and it has a good response.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Angry Matt
06-07-09, 09:22 AM
If you use a sealed enclosure it will require less power to get better sound. The woofer will move less and you'll have less of a chance of blowing them. USamps are awesome. I'm using a very old one (before they rounded the edges and it's all hard wired). I think it's 25x2, bridged to one ohm, powering two 12" kicker freeairs in a sealed box and am very happy with it (although I'd like smaller subs). They don't make stuff like they used to. I just got an old sony amp for my doors and deck and it's great. Way before the xplode came out. My point is, you don't need one of those supposed "thousand watt or more" amps to get good sound, and you can find the old stuff used for cheap. I frequent pawn shops and ebay. What kind of music are you playing?

Heide264
06-08-09, 12:16 AM
I actually play pretty much everything but country haha.

The USAmps will stay.. I had a Kenwood625 that just decided to not output anything (all power and inputs were correct). It's apart on my workbench downstairs but nothing appears bad in it. Gonna put it back together and see if maybe it works now.

After opening up the enclosure yesterday, I realized the woofers are in almost mint condition as well as the box. They look brand new even being 20ish years old. Minus the foam. So I am gonna go grab replacement foam for them and give re-foaming them a go. The quality of the box is incredible - inside is sanded out and everything.

So I guess my question is now, the Kenwood repair doesn't seem too hopeful - looking for a decent replacement amp for old 5.25 JBL mid/low door speakers and a pair of tweeters (Pyles at the moment, will be swapped soon.)

...No clue who makes good amps anymore. I am gonna go browse pawn shops and the such though.. didn't even think of that. Maybe ebay has some good cheap used ones too while I am at it. Thanks for the suggestion matt - slipped my mind to look used.

ballstothewall
06-10-09, 11:19 AM
If you use a sealed enclosure it will require less power to get better sound. The woofer will move less and you'll have less of a chance of blowing them. USamps are awesome. I'm using a very old one (before they rounded the edges and it's all hard wired). I think it's 25x2, bridged to one ohm, powering two 12" kicker freeairs in a sealed box and am very happy with it (although I'd like smaller subs). They don't make stuff like they used to. I just got an old sony amp for my doors and deck and it's great. Way before the xplode came out. My point is, you don't need one of those supposed "thousand watt or more" amps to get good sound, and you can find the old stuff used for cheap. I frequent pawn shops and ebay. What kind of music are you playing?

Older US Amps amplifiers are good, the new ones not so much.

Provided you don't overpower the driver or clip the signal you don't have to worry about blowing the driver. For a sealed box vs. ported box, one is not going to risk blowing a driver more than the other. Stupidity ruins speakers, not specific alignments. As long as you don't play to far below tuning frequency of a ported box you won't have a problem with unloading the driver and reaching excursion limits.

mysedan
06-12-09, 06:33 PM
sealed requires more power to push than a ported...but they sound better through the entire range until they clip. Ported/bandpass sound good for the freq they are designed for...try to push past that and they sound like garbage.

sealed FTW but they do take more power

I am running a single kicker 10 with a hifonics saturn amp bridged and it sounds great. very happy with my setup...looking to replace the interior speakers very soon

Angry Matt
06-13-09, 09:48 PM
I always heard sealed took less power and the cone doesn't move as far therefore making them harder to blow. I believe you guys are right though, my sources aren't too reliable the more I think of it...

Before you catch it, my amp is running at two ohms, not one. I'm a little rusty on the car audio (still reading magazines from '98).

Heide264
06-15-09, 05:38 PM
Should have the new foam in soon. If I can get my camera working I will take a bunch of nice photos of each step and post them under a separate thread for reference.