: '98 heads and cams on a 2000 block

Radiogareth
06-05-09, 02:17 AM
Anyone know if the cyclinder heads off a '98 N* will fit straight onto the block from a year 2000 N*?

Would there be any benefit in doing the swap? (VIN tells me the 2000 is a 300 hp engine already)

Alternatively, would the cams from the '98 fit the 2000 heads - if yes then I can get an exchange set of cams from CHRF:bouncy:

The '98 engine has started boiling up and the car is being broken for spares (over here in London UK).

Thanks

Gareth

JimD
06-05-09, 03:49 AM
Anyone know if the cyclinder heads off a '98 N* will fit straight onto the block from a year 2000 N*?The "fit" will work.
But!
The combustion chamber (piston and head cavity) design was altered (to delete the 91 octane fuel recommendation) effective for 2000 model year engines.
Would there be any benefit in doing the swap?No! Contrary.

97EldoCoupe
06-05-09, 07:14 AM
Compression will increase just slightly but the '00 shortblock doesn't have the valve reliefs in the pistons. On top of this you're losing the roller valvetrain.

I've been considering doing the exact opposite - 00 heads on a 98 STS, but this is for supercharging purposes, and the intake manifold will have to be custom built.

Submariner409
06-05-09, 09:41 AM
Don't forget that the pre-2000 heads used direct-acting hydraulic cam followers (lifters). The 2000+ heads are a complete redesign with different cams and indirect roller cam followers using static hydraulic adjusters for lash. The 2 models of heads bear no resemblance to each other. Ignition pack differences, too...............among others.

Radiogareth
06-06-09, 03:42 AM
Thanks Guys, thats REALLY helpful.:thumbsup: Seems I've got the best of both worlds then. I'll talk to CHRF and see if they have ever used their cams in this head. If the '98 engine I've located ends up cheap enough to buy and repair - then I'll have two engines.

Plan is to convert it to megasquirt for my application and run RWD via a TH700R4.

Gareth

Submariner409
06-06-09, 10:48 AM
If you're going to twist this engine to longitudinal in your kit car, you could move the ignition coil pack and build a custom wire set for a much cleaner cam cover look (don't forget that the 1998 and 2000 have entirely different ignition systems, PCM's, ICM"s, different spark plugs, wires/no wires, cassette cavities, plug boots, cam covers, etc. etc.).................before you do the install, make sure the water pump tensioner and belt are new; no sense having a failure on the "rear" of the engine before its time.........

Something else.....the crankshaft reluctor wheel and both position sensors are different in the two years - you may run into trouble trying to trigger a 1998 ignition with a 2000 block, and vice-versa.

Radiogareth
06-07-09, 03:19 AM
Thanks again for the pointers - in the short term I was going to re-use what the engine came with, adding a 36-1 trigger wheel to the crank and use the COP units, but eventually with polished valve covers I'll most likely use 2*4 EDIS packs and leads. As I do not have the matching key for the ecu it's going to be easier to get it running on a MS....probably. Also means I can do what I like with the fuelling.

Gareth

Submariner409
06-07-09, 10:47 AM
OK.......That will work, as well as allow you some grooming of the ignition curves.