: 72 coupe deville

LupoNero
06-05-09, 01:53 AM
I've found a 72 coupe deville i'm interested in buying with 77,000 miles, seller wants $6500. was wondering if that was a good price or if their is anything i should look out for or know in terms of the car.

LupoNero
06-05-09, 03:54 AM
Also if anyone knows what an 84 coupe deville with around 61,000 miles would be worth? sry for the double post but i cant seem to find an edit button

carnut
06-05-09, 04:09 PM
On the west coast $6500 is too much in my opinion. Any low mileage older car requires that ALL fluids be changed including brake fluid and all hoses be inspected. Time deteriorates rubber including the rubber in brake wheel cylinders and brake hoses. This car is not a classic, just a low mileage old car. Be ready to spend another $500.00 ? or more to bring it up to a safe reliable car.

Angry Matt
06-05-09, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $4000 for either, unless the '72 is in exceptional condition. I got my '70 brougham with 72k for $1500 (coupe has a little more value) and it looked nice, but like carnut said, need a ton of little stuff. Although the price of these cars has gone up dramatically in the past few years, cadillacs still don't bring the money like an '60's impala or camaro or something more sought after.

77CDV
06-05-09, 11:48 PM
Condition and options, along with mileage and maintanance, are very important for these cars. If the car is in very good physical and mechanical condition, well-optioned (and the options all work), and a desireable color, the value will be higher. Issues to watch for are the same as with the Series 75 you asked about earlier, with rust around the margins of the vinyl top and rear window, and along the lower rocker panels.

$6500 is a bit high for this car. I'd likely shoot for more like $5000, if the car was in very good unmolested condition with all options working. As for the '84, I'd never pay more than $2000, and even then it would have to be in spectacular, low-mileage condition. The 4.1 engine is the kiss of death for those cars, and kills their resale value.

LupoNero
06-07-09, 01:07 PM
well i basically don't drive that much pretty much a weekend occurrence, i guess i want to ask is if its worth it to ditch the 84 in favor for the 72? and yea your right about the 4.1 engine if i was to keep the 84 i was thinking about swapping the engine out for something better.

durrk johnson
06-07-09, 01:45 PM
whats not "classic" about a 72' coupe?

That was just kind of weird considering its like 37 years old.... Thats pretty damn classic if you ask me... haha

I consider my 80' coupe a "beat up classic"... haha

77CDV
06-07-09, 05:48 PM
The '72 has a lot more power than the '84 without all the computer control nonsense, so a lot more amenable to DIY projects. Also, the '72 is far more stylish IMO. Unless the '84 has some sentimental value to you, I'd trade up to a '72 without hesitation.

Angry Matt
06-07-09, 06:16 PM
I love the '80's cars personally, but would take a low mileage '72 in a heartbeat over an '84. The 472 is sooo much better (not to mention the look of the '72). I had a 472 in my '70 and now it's in my '81. It's my favorite car to drive that I've ever owned. If you treat it right that motor will last forever. You'll turn way more heads with the older car. Ebay should bring the best price for the '84.

LupoNero
06-08-09, 01:13 AM
nothing sentimental at all with the 84, when i was younger i always liked the body style but i never really read into the 4100 and such before i bought it and regret it all the time, it has no power to it at all. I'm really into buying the 72 but everyone around me is giving me the "are you crazy" because its older than what i have, and they were stirring up some second thoughts. Someone i know was even saying something about replacing the exhaust every 6 months because it doesn't have a cadilitic converter because of the air conditioner or something like that, idk. kinda curious if the 72 runs on regular gas or do i have to feed it a higher octane?

Aron9000
06-08-09, 01:31 AM
Do they do emissions testing around where you live? The 1972 would be exempt, while the 84 might need to be tested(check your local laws, it varies).

I would go for the 1972 Caddy unless you plan to do a motor swap on the 1984. I personally like the styling/interior better on the 84, but that 4100 is IMO is the worst motor GM ever made.

I think $6500 is a fair price for a car that is in mint(or near mint condition) that does not need any work(I'm talking cold a/c, working radio, up to date maintence records, etc)

Angry Matt
06-08-09, 10:40 AM
Do what YOU want. When I wanted my '70, my mom and everyone around me was giving me crap. It's not efficient, it's so big and old, you're going to have problems left and right. BS! That was the best running car I ever had, and still have the motor 9 years later. 4100's in the junk yard, t-bird's in the junk yard, 472's doing burnouts. Yeah you'll have to keep up on it and maybe do some updating. Get rid of the points and condenser would be my first move. That car will get looks and chicks. If you've got the money, not only for the car, but the extra gas, I'd say do it. You sound like you want to. You will have some problems arise, but so will every other car. That car's so easy to fix and there's an unlimited amount of info available on them you should be able to do most fixing yourself.

If you're driving a Cadillac you should be putting 93 octane in it or whatever's available at a regular gas station.

About the exhaust, I've never heard that, but again ran the car for years with no cats, still do. No problems.

77CDV
06-09-09, 03:44 PM
Replace the exhaust every 6 months?!? WTF?!? That's total BS! Whoever told you that knows nothing about cars at all. The 1972 Cadillacs were introduced just about the time that lead was being phased out of gas (the ads boasted that the cars could "perform brilliantly on today's low-lead and no-lead fuels"). Premium grade gas is recommended unless you retard the timing to compensate for the reduced octane, otherwise the car will knock under load. I also recommend upgrading to HEI. It's made all the difference on my '69 in terms of ease of starting, and even upped the gas mileage a tick. Plus, it lowers overall maintenence costs, as the old-style distributors need to be serviced every 3000 to 5000 miles.

Go for the '72!

LupoNero
06-09-09, 10:25 PM
Yea i was pretty sure the exhaust thing was bs. i'm definitely gonna go for the 72 but i just realized that it has no passenger side mirror and not that it is a big thing since i rarely ever use that mirror but could one be added later just incase?

77CDV
06-09-09, 10:58 PM
Sure. Right-hand side-view mirrors were optional up through 1980 IIRC (except on Fleetwood Series 75 models, where they were standard). There wasn't even a remote control for them until 1971 (they had to be adjusted manually). You can easy add one on with minimal body work, basically drill the holes in the door panel to attach the mirror. If you want remote control, then you need to drill a third, larger hole for the wires to pass through. Not sure if there's a dead plate covering the opening in the instrument panel hood where the right side mirror control would be, or if GM made a separate molding for cars with the feature and those without.