: Air Intake

donkmonster
06-04-09, 05:33 PM
I saw pics of an 1989 Brougham with the air silencer taken off with and edelbrock open intake filter. Has anyone done this, is it worth it? how much would it cost?

Angry Matt
06-04-09, 05:53 PM
It's good for looks. I don't think you'll notice anything (hp), and it'll be sucking hot air. You're better off with a good filter and a setup that pulls air not from the engine bay. If you like the look, go ahead, it's probably not going to have a noticeable affect either way. It's like putting an intake on a honda, it looks cool and makes funny noises, but without a bunch of other stuff done, it won't do sh*t.

VortecCaddy
06-04-09, 06:03 PM
If you mod your tbi unit to work with the open air element you will notice an increase. Mainly on the highway though.

90Brougham350
06-04-09, 07:55 PM
It's only worth the looks to you. The 307 doesn't spin fast enough or draw nearly enough air to ever be hampered by the stock air cleaner set up. Best way to spend your money - keep the air filter clean and make sure the air intake tube is all properly connected.

Brian

sven914
06-04-09, 11:46 PM
I usually take the cold intake snorkel off for the winter. The rest of the intake is stock, but in taking it off, I noticed a slight saving on gas, because the engine didn't need to take as long to warm up. I wouldn't do it the summer because the engine sucking hot, engine temp, air would cause a drop in efficiency and could lead to overheating.