: I hate hail.

Jesda
06-04-09, 08:24 AM
Went to the Apple store to buy an ethernet adapter. BOOM! HAIL! Was waiting at the stoplight when suddenly the poor Crossfire got pelted. Made a u-turn and went and hid in the mall garage. Tried to poke out a few times, still hailing, meanwhile the garage was flooding. WHAT TO DO!

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/wpw-20090604/normal_SSPX1076.jpg
Trees fell, power lines were on the road.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/wpw-20090604/normal_SSPX1078.jpg
Mustang needs pontoons.

CIWS
06-04-09, 08:33 AM
Wow that could turn into some flood damaged vehicles pretty quick.

The Tony Show
06-04-09, 09:09 AM
That blows, Jesda. The poor Crossfire! :(

EcSTSatic
06-04-09, 09:38 AM
Don't buy a Mac :D

Florian
06-04-09, 11:23 AM
^^^^^ post of the day!

Sux for you Jesda.

F

V-Eight
06-04-09, 11:33 AM
Wow, that's pretty insane.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-09, 01:09 PM
See what happens when you drive a Chrysler! :lol:

dkozloski
06-04-09, 01:14 PM
God hates Mac owners. Having a Chrysler compounds the felony.

gothicaleigh
06-04-09, 01:34 PM
See what happens when you drive a Chrysler! :lol:

...and own Macs.

Seriously though, sorry to hear that. Hopefully there was no hail damage to the crossfire.

+1

You fool, you've killed us all. :p

V-Eight
06-04-09, 03:22 PM

Well luckily I don't believe in God, because I'm going to bite the bullet pretty soon and buy a MacBook Pro. Windows has just pissed the shit out of me with Vista as I've always been anti-Apple. Although I'll probably still go Windows for desktops, I won't be buying one until Windows 7 comes out.

CadillacGurl
06-04-09, 03:41 PM
That sucks Jesda. I wonder if there was a Tornado :D

Playdrv4me
06-04-09, 03:49 PM
Well luckily I don't believe in God, because I'm going to bite the bullet pretty soon and buy a MacBook Pro. Windows has just pissed the shit out of me with Vista as I've always been anti-Apple. Although I'll probably still go Windows for desktops, I won't be buying one until Windows 7 comes out.

Downgrade to XP.

V-Eight
06-04-09, 04:06 PM
But then I can't use DX10. Plus the fact that Apple computers are really good hardware-wise, there are very few viruses for them, and many PC programs are now usable on Mac have also fueled my decision

Jesda
06-04-09, 04:54 PM
In fairness I didn't buy a Mac, I just put OS X on my Acer.
And I didn't buy a Chrysler, I just took over Ian's payments. :P

But apparently the weather gods frown upon possession as if it was the same as full ownership. I guess the same is true of cocaine. "No officer, I'm just holding it for a friend!"

Playdrv4me
06-04-09, 05:07 PM
Speaking of posession... I keep reading this thread title as "I hate Jail." I suppose you did kind of technically end up in one too.

gary88
06-04-09, 05:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/mac_pc_linux.jpg

gdwriter
06-04-09, 05:25 PM
Just got an e-mail via the campus alert system that a severe thunderstorm warning has been declared for the two counties south and east of Corvallis, moving to the northwest at 25 MPH. Damaging winds in excess of 60 MPH and quarter-size hail are reported.

http://www.q45.org/gdwriter/radar_6_4.jpg

Sabrina already has what I'm pretty sure are a couple of small hail dings — on the roof and one on the trunk — I really don't want more. But at least if I do, it should be covered by my comprehensive insurance.

gdwriter
06-04-09, 06:19 PM
Storm is almost here. And it looks like Corvallis will get the rough stuff:

http://www.q45.org/gdwriter/Radar_2_6_4.jpg

Just stepped outside and the clouds to the southeast are almost black. Some thunder rolling. The sky reminds me of what I grew up with in West Texas.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 06:40 PM
WHAT TO DO!

Buy a Wrangler. The world around you becomes your playground, flooding included :cool:.

gdwriter
06-04-09, 06:48 PM
Storm just hit a few minutes ago:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4645/117/61/776743093/n776743093_1739423_6315442.jpg

Although Oregon is famous (or infamous) for rain, we rarely get strong thunderstorms, at least in the Willamette Valley. It was pouring buckets:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/4244_88044683093_776743093_1739416_4762080_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/4244_88044693093_776743093_1739417_2771665_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4645/117/61/776743093/n776743093_1739420_7176787.jpg

Water was pouring off the roof in our building, so much so that the basement, where our conference room is located, flooded with a couple inches of water.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs090.snc1/4645_88044703093_776743093_1739418_3651404_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4645/117/61/776743093/n776743093_1739419_7221511.jpg

Shot a quick video with one of our Flip cameras. If it's any good, I'll put it up on YouTube.

CIWS
06-04-09, 06:50 PM
Buy a Wrangler. The world around you becomes your playground, flooding included :cool:.

Without a full metal top you could be found by a lighting bolt, like this one in Dallas that was hit and burned. :eek:

http://images.chron.com/blogs/eastharris/jeepphoto11.jpg

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 07:03 PM
Without a full metal top you could be found by a lighting bolt, like this one in Dallas that was hit and burned. :eek:

http://images.chron.com/blogs/eastharris/jeepphoto11.jpg

I bet someone bought it, rebuilt it, and is now using it as a dedicated trail rig! As long as there is mostly a frame that is kinda sorta stright.... good to go!

I don't see how a metal top would prevent a vehicle from being hit by lightning?

Playdrv4me
06-04-09, 07:23 PM
I dunno, wheelers seem to be pretty religious about the strength of metal in their trail-rigs and roll cages (I watch alot of Xtreme 4x4 :D )and it that fire got hot enough the metal structure of that thing could have been severely weakened.

The Tony Show
06-04-09, 07:43 PM
But fire can't melt metal- the 9/11 conspiracy theorists told me so! :cookoo:

Batten down the hatches, Gary. I've been through some real humdingers over the years here in Florida, and they're no fun. Especially the part where the power goes out and you're sitting in a humid house, but can't open the windows without getting soaked.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 07:50 PM
I dunno, wheelers seem to be pretty religious about the strength of metal in their trail-rigs and roll cages (I watch alot of Xtreme 4x4 :D )and it that fire got hot enough the metal structure of that thing could have been severely weakened.

Nah.... it's just been "heat treated" ;)

I used to enjoy watching all the 4x4 shows on Spike when I had cable... about the only thing I would actually watch.

But watching is a whole lot different then doing..... you should come up for a weekend of wheelin' sometime! :cool:

CIWS
06-04-09, 08:05 PM
I don't see how a metal top would prevent a vehicle from being hit by lightning?

It does not prevent a strike, but a full metal cage/chassis helps make the vehicle act as a Faraday Cage and conduct the strike around the vehicle and occupants.

gdwriter
06-04-09, 08:07 PM
Here's the video. Water doesn't always show up that well on video; it was pouring a lot harder than it looks.

YouTube - Corvallis Severe Thunderstorm 6/4/2009

We had a couple of quick flashes where the power went off and right back on in a split second.

The storm has continued to the north, and it looks like Independence also got a dose of the rough stuff. At least I won't have to water my lawn this week.

gdwriter
06-04-09, 08:17 PM
Buy a Wrangler. The world around you becomes your playground, flooding included.Hmmmm....didn't you ditch the Wrangler for the Town Car when it was raining buckets at the start of your recent road trip? :stirpot:

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 08:47 PM
Hmmmm....didn't you ditch the Wrangler for the Town Car when it was raining buckets at the start of your recent road trip? :stirpot:

Only because I went against my gut feeling to switch to the full soft top.... and I wanted to take the Lincoln on what was possibly my last extended highway trip.

Looking back, it only rained half the way down, and half the way back, sun shine the whole time.... When I was in FL, I was thinking "I shoulda took the Jeep" but, ah well.... taking the Lincoln on that trip was sort of the closing I needed to decide once again, to sell it. It's an excellent car, especially on road trips, but the Jeep is just so much more fun, more my thing. Even today when taking the Town Car into town to get a few things done, I was thinking that I'd rather be driving the Jeep, each time I wheel it I enjoy it more and more, even on-road, it's odd.

It does not prevent a strike, but a full metal cage/chassis helps make the vehicle act as a Faraday Cage and conduct the strike around the vehicle and occupants.

I dunno, I'm just not understanding this. A Jeep has a full metal roll bar and chassis. The fiberglass hardtop and softtops are only for protection from the elements etc..... Lightning would still hit the body/antenna.

Otherwise a Jeep is now in the same category as any rag top convertible. How is my BMW convertible any less lighting-prone then my Jeep? Even if you are talking about lighning hitting the fiberglass hardtop/soft top, then it's the same case as other convertibles.

V-Eight
06-04-09, 09:09 PM
I bet someone bought it, rebuilt it, and is now using it as a dedicated trail rig! As long as there is mostly a frame that is kinda sorta stright.... good to go!

It doesn't prevent the strike, but it allows the charge to easily pass through it. Lightning strikes are the most dangerous when they hit an insulator such as a tree or the plastic of that Jeep's roof.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-09, 09:51 PM
I wish MN would get a good storm. The whole state has been devoid of any good action this spring, with just a few occasional thunderstorms splitting over the twin cities, leaving us high and dry.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 10:01 PM
It doesn't prevent the strike, but it allows the charge to easily pass through it. Lightning strikes are the most dangerous when they hit an insulator such as a tree or the plastic of that Jeep's roof.

Atleast on the TJ, the hardtop is fiberglass... the new JK may use some sort of a plastic top.

I understand the concept behind lightning, but I'm just saying that a Jeep, be it with a hardtop or soft top, is in the same category as any other soft top vehicle when talking lightning strikes.

I guess my 4' CB whip antenna would be the first to get hit, as it's higher then the roof, and that is grounded to the body.... then in that case I'm safe.... poor CB tho :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-09, 10:10 PM
I've always wondered why you never hear thunder when you're driving.

Jesda
06-04-09, 10:15 PM
The best storms hit while you're at home and your car is in a covered location. Its awesome to wait for the storm to pass and go drive around looking at the debris. Gotta be careful since its usually dark and none of the stoplights and street lights work.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 10:24 PM
The best storms hit while you're at home and your car is in a covered location. Its awesome to wait for the storm to pass and go drive around looking at the debris. Gotta be careful since its usually dark and none of the stoplights and street lights work.

I've noticed that too.... and once the storm passes, it's usually rather clear/calm.

No covered parking here, so the Jeep has to tough it out in the driveway. I keep a tow strap in my box o goodies with the Jeep.... I keep looking forward to that day I'll have to help move a fallen tree or something from a road or driveway.

iowasevillests
06-04-09, 10:38 PM
Ahhh hail out of the blue....nothing like living in the Midwest and dealing with summer storms. A couple weeks ago I was at work and suddenly our tornado alarms went off and we all figured it was test/false alarm since it was only an hour or so after lunch and it was beautiful then....nope had a tornado develop basically over the top of us and go from partly cloudy and sunny to dark, stormy and spinny winds in about an hour. No real damage but just a reminder how quickly things change here in the belt.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-09, 10:39 PM
I wanna chase a storm in my Astro. Across the minnesota plains, late afternoon. It could totally happen. :D

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 10:41 PM
Ahhh hail out of the blue....nothing like living in the Midwest and dealing with summer storms. A couple weeks ago I was at work and suddenly our tornado alarms went off and we all figured it was test/false alarm since it was only an hour or so after lunch and it was beautiful then....nope had a tornado develop basically over the top of us and go from partly cloudy and sunny to dark, stormy and spinny winds in about an hour. No real damage but just a reminder how quickly things change here in the belt.

When there is a tornado (or any major storm warning) at work, they shut the place down... you can't leave base, you can't even leave your building.... last Summer 5mins before end of shift the tornado alarm went off and we were stuck at work 2hrs..... easy OT tho.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 10:46 PM
I wanna chase a storm in my Astro. Across the minnesota plains, late afternoon. It could totally happen. :D

SJg0JNGwqk8

It'll lift the 18-wheeler tanker truck, but not the pickup.

If you can't Dodge it, RAM IT.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-09, 10:50 PM
I'm sitting here in Wichita (for work), in the heart of Tornado Alley during the busiest season of the year. But of course, the two days I'm here are wonderfully clear and mild. FML.

And then when I get back to Minneapolis this weekend, it's gonna be cold and rainy. :mad:

V-Eight
06-04-09, 10:59 PM
Atleast on the TJ, the hardtop is fiberglass... the new JK may use some sort of a plastic top.

I understand the concept behind lightning, but I'm just saying that a Jeep, be it with a hardtop or soft top, is in the same category as any other soft top vehicle when talking lightning strikes.

I guess my 4' CB whip antenna would be the first to get hit, as it's higher then the roof, and that is grounded to the body.... then in that case I'm safe.... poor CB tho :(

I'm not sure about that though, because the lighting may go through the canvas or whatever the soft material is and strike the metal rails. But you could be right. Either way, I don't like convertibles, so I ain't worrying :D

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 11:04 PM
LOL, so I just went to check out the TJ section on JeepForum and saw this... obviously not fire, but same school of thought.... just about any other vehicle would be good for the crusher had this happened. You don't even have to go past the first page in the linked post to see before and after pics.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495822

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-09, 11:08 PM
I have NEVER seen a Wrangler in a junkyard. It's like my Jeep lovin' friend Evan said..."nobody ever throws 'em away".

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-04-09, 11:47 PM
I wish MN would get a good storm. The whole state has been devoid of any good action this spring, with just a few occasional thunderstorms splitting over the twin cities, leaving us high and dry.

No, you don't want storms, at least not as many as we get. Every damn time it rains Rt.53 gets closed (a pretty major four lane road) and I have to go about 3 miles out of my way to get to work. Out by my grandparents in farm country it is not uncommon to have 60-80mph winds. It gets so bad you can hardly see more than 10 feet in front of you.

Playdrv4me
06-05-09, 12:00 AM
No, you don't want storms, at least not as many as we get. Every damn time it rains Rt.53 gets closed (a pretty major four lane road) and I have to go about 3 miles out of my way to get to work. Out by my grandparents in farm country it is not uncommon to have 60-80mph winds. It gets so bad you can hardly see more than 10 feet in front of you.

Everytime it rains hard, South Tampa gets flooded at EVERY major intersection. It is a complete clusterf**k and the problem is during the summer months it rains here almost EVERY DAY due to seabreeze showers that blow in off the gulf.

Wichita storms however are AWESOME. Oddly enough I lived there about 4 or 5 years and for as much as Tornados hit that place, I never saw a SINGLE SOLITARY ONE in all my time there. When the Tornado warnings would sound, me and my coworkers would actually go chill outside while the rest of the center ran to the basement. We saw some cool and crazy skies, but never even the beginnings of a Tornado... maybe some swirly clouds but that was it... Lame.

Wichita is a cool town though. I miss it alot. I suggest you visit the East Warren theatre sometime if you can Chad and see whatever movie is showing in the BIG MAIN theatre. The thing is practically IMAX sized.

Rodya234
06-05-09, 12:01 AM
I won't be buying one until Windows 7 comes out.

I have Windows 7 RC1. It kicks arse.

gdwriter
06-05-09, 12:17 AM
Our golf class was canceled tonight. The storm had mostly moved on by 5:30, but the pro at Trysting Tree, where we were supposed to play didn't want us out there since there was still thunder rumbling around. So instead, we went to a brewpub for eats and drinks. We've rescheduled the round for next Thursday.

Our instructor had e-mailed us shortly after the storm hit telling us the game might be cancelled. She also told us a classic golf joke: "If you're stuck on the golf course in a thunder and lightening storm, hold up a 3-iron over your head; even God can't hit a 3-iron."

CIWS
06-05-09, 08:01 AM

As you can see by my original statement I said without a full metal top, which could cover several different vehicles, but a soft top Jeep is certainly one of those.

Lightning can be very unpredictable and a fiberglass antenna (not a good conductor) doesn't look as tasty as a metal vehicle. People have been struck inside their cars because they have a window down a little.

"But, consistent with lightning's capricious nature, situations alter results. Is the car dry or wet? If the car is made of fiberglass (a poor conductor) or a convertible, skin effect principles may not work. (Corvette and Saturn owners, please note this fact.)"

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/vehicle_strike.html

EcSTSatic
06-05-09, 08:36 AM
Lightning strikes are all about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A few weeks ago in Wichita a guy was struck and killed on his motorcycle. He was traveling with a group of cyclists on US54

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-05-09, 11:44 PM
Wichita storms however are AWESOME. Oddly enough I lived there about 4 or 5 years and for as much as Tornados hit that place, I never saw a SINGLE SOLITARY ONE in all my time there. When the Tornado warnings would sound, me and my coworkers would actually go chill outside while the rest of the center ran to the basement. We saw some cool and crazy skies, but never even the beginnings of a Tornado... maybe some swirly clouds but that was it... Lame.

The coolest storms I ever saw were in the Black Hills in South Dakota. We were camping there and we were sitting on the roof of the camper trailer watching the lightning over the hills. It was nice and sunny where we were but just over the hills were some pretty bad ass storms with some great lightning.

Night Wolf
06-06-09, 02:37 AM
I have NEVER seen a Wrangler in a junkyard. It's like my Jeep lovin' friend Evan said..."nobody ever throws 'em away".

You won't either.... really, as long as there is mostly a frame that is sorta stright, someone will buy it and make a trail rig outta it.

Other then that, in the case of one getting totaled and the owner not caring about what happens to it, there are special junkyards that specialize in tub-based Jeep, they snatch them up first because they know the value of many parts.