: no xm radio

ddgm
06-03-09, 07:38 PM
I have a 2005 STS with NAV, no u2k code in trunk or xm band showing on screen. I have been searching for info about this on these forums. There is a ton of info but it never really answers the question of if it is possible to add the xm band to my car. Is the attenna already behind the radio and can I just buy the tuner or whatever they use to make this happen or is a completely different nav unit required. I'm hoping to make it look and act as though it is a factory installed unit. I just can't seem to bring myself to add on the aftermarket units and frankly wouldn't have a clue where to install it without ruining the looks of my interior. Hoping ewill3rd sees this as he seems to know his stuff about this, during my searches I have seen his name many times with great answers and information given. Here's hoping!

Doug

EChas3
06-03-09, 08:59 PM
Pacific Accessories Corp. can fix you up with aftermarket. I wouldn't think it would be hard to get a factory unit from a recycler. I think it resides in the trunk and uses the lil' rooftop antenna. I remember a thread where somebody added it. The question is how hard was it?

Anyone else remember this one?

Angus Young
06-03-09, 11:26 PM
If you have the NAV unit you have XM, occasionally the XM module will need to be reset as this has happened on both of my 05 STS's, the battery terminals need to be disconnected and crossed for say 10 - 15 seconds then reattach the cables to the battery, this should restore the XM button on your NAV head unit, more than likely this is caused by a weak battery, In our cars the battery condition is critical! to the stability of the electronics, when you hit the starter button it takes so much draw away from the NAV unit, and more than likely looses/interrupts communication to the XM module located in the trunk, I have since replaced the stock AC Delco battery with a Optima Red top 1000 CCA battery in both cars and never had any issues since then. When you first get into my cars I can hear the NAV unit turn on before I ever start the car,,, try resetting first, then consider upgrading the battery, the optima will run close to $200.00 but the piece of mind of knowing you have the best battery starting your expensive ride is more than worth it... jus my 2 centz

ddgm
06-06-09, 12:26 PM
Thanks EChas3 and Angus. I just did the disconnect and cable cross. No joy!
My 2005 STS has a ton of options, one being 1SC which lists xm in the package. I gave my VIN to 2 dealers and they said that I would have to buy it as a stand alone.One of the dealer's service guy didn't seem to know much about it, although he never admitted that, the other referred me to an electronics center. I have sirius ( stand alone) now in a Lincoln and like I said, I don't want to clutter up the interior of the STS. Could I look in the trunk (Where)? and see if the module is there? If the receiver is present but dead, could this be the problem? All the literature points to it being there but it doesn't show up. Frustrating to say the least.

Doug

EChas3
06-06-09, 01:30 PM
1. Check with another dealer.

2. Search the forum for this problem. Someone had to get his unit replaced (warranty in his case). If it says it is included on a build sheet it IS there.

3. Send a private message to ewill3rd about it. He is an extremely knowledgible master tech.

ddgm
06-06-09, 11:51 PM
Thanks EChas3, I'll try your suggestions, although I have searched pretty thoroughly and the system won't let me pm ewill3rd.

cocaines
06-07-09, 05:20 AM
if you ever figure that out please let me know, my car has never had xm on the screen and my manual says i have it, but my dealer said some of the earlier 2005 sts didnt come with it in the nav system

Angus Young
06-07-09, 09:35 AM
If I remember correctly the XM module is on the right side of the trunk under the carpet, mabye try to disconnect the power and antenna leads and reattach, again I had this problem on both of my 05 STS's and was able to restore the icon on the NAV unit, I have had other issues with my NAV unit to where I played a DVD that was scratched and it confused the NAV unit to where the touch screen would not respond and it took 2 or 3 times on a reset to reset it, if worse comes to worse remove the head unit reseat the connections on the rear and try that, The head unit is held in with 4 bolts, there are instructions on how to remove the unit in the Lockpick thread, only advice I would give on removing the unit is when you remove the wood bezel be as gentle as possible with it as you can get little stress cracks in the laminate

dkozloski
06-07-09, 12:42 PM
My '06 STS4 V8 1SF has a U2J on the build sheet in the trunk which decodes as "Digitel audio system S-band not installed" and there is no XM; thank God.

EChas3
06-07-09, 12:57 PM
if you ever figure that out please let me know, my car has never had xm on the screen and my manual says i have it, but my dealer said some of the earlier 2005 sts didnt come with it in the nav system

Do you mean a build sheet or manual? My wife's 2007 Manual shows a lot of features not on her car. (Mine has it all.:D)

ddgm
06-07-09, 04:45 PM
I'm running out of options, sure wish ewill3rd would reply to this thread. In an earlier answer to someone about this he said to pull the fuse for the s band ( also for the RF Seat Heater) that is located under the rear seat in the passenger side for a couple of minutes and reinstall. I did that and still no joy. From my searching and reading I'm going to take the trunk lining out and look for the receiver which I believe is located under the rear window shelf. That way I will know once and for all if I do or do not have the xm option.
Hoping it is there but dead. ewill3rd says that there was a replacement module for the 2005 STS because of the xm band disappearing thing. And if it is not there, my next project will be to see if parts can be added to make it so!

Doug

EChas3
06-07-09, 05:08 PM
If you find that OEM isn't an option, you can still go with a uPAC-STS. It allows two add-ons. I went with an I-Pod Dock & HD Radio. You could go XM/Sirius & either of my choices.

ewill3rd writes truth. If the box is there, you're in luck. The XM antenna is the stubby one on the roof.

TobyJohnson11
06-10-09, 09:52 PM
Hi I have a 2005 with nav. I have always had xm and it worked great. Then one day I turned on the radio and it said no xm signal. It doesn’t matter what channel I put it on. Now it always says no xm signal. I can’t even go to the preview and get a signal. I called xm and they said that it is a problem in the radio. The car is not under warranty, is there anything I can do myself to reset the system, or troubleshoot to see where the problem is?

Thanks

EChas3
06-10-09, 11:00 PM
Hi I have a 2005 with nav. I have always had xm and it worked great. Then one day I turned on the radio and it said no xm signal. It doesnít matter what channel I put it on. Now it always says no xm signal. I canít even go to the preview and get a signal. I called xm and they said that it is a problem in the radio. The car is not under warranty, is there anything I can do myself to reset the system, or troubleshoot to see where the problem is?

Thanks

This is the same pattern I remember from a previous post. If the reset (above) doesn't help, you and ddgm may be in the same boat.:bonkers:

ddgm
06-11-09, 07:11 AM
Hi I have a 2005 with nav. I have always had xm and it worked great. Then one day I turned on the radio and it said no xm signal. It doesnít matter what channel I put it on. Now it always says no xm signal. I canít even go to the preview and get a signal. I called xm and they said that it is a problem in the radio. The car is not under warranty, is there anything I can do myself to reset the system, or troubleshoot to see where the problem is?

Thanks

Hi, I'm inclined to think that if the xm band is showing on your radio,but no signal, that it is probably something to do with the antenna. This coming from someone who hasn't found the xm band on my radio (yet), but I have read a ton of posts about this. But as said,you could disconnect the battery, cross the cables for 15 to 20 seconds or pull the s band fuse, wait a couple of minutes, reinstall, it's in the box located under the rear seat on the passenger side.

ewill3rd
06-16-09, 08:40 AM
Wow, I'm late.
Sorry I missed this one.

I don't have time to read everything here but most newer factory radios are XM ready.
Do a google search for XM direct kits for your model and get one installed.
I don't think non-U2K cars are pre-wired so you'll need a kit.

For U2K equipped cars there was a bulletin for some bad part numbers on the receiver units.
I usually do searches for my name but I have been busy lately.
Sorry I am so tardy on this one.

Please bump this if there are more questions.

ddgm
06-17-09, 09:11 PM
Thanks for replying ewill3rd, not really what I wanted to hear. A couple of questions if you don't mind. Is the xm antenna in the shark fin on the roof or if not a U2K, is it ommitted, and what type of wiring would be needed to make this work? I really would like to run this through the nav headunit but all dealers around here, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada say no go. Reading through this group, I'm inclined to disbelieve them. I havn't gotten into the trunk to see if anything is there or not. Yet! I have become almost obsessed with this, and hope to solve it. The firmware update that you so kindly outlined is also beyond them, they keep trying to sell me map discs. I am contacting Cadillac dealers in Buffalo, NY which is about 45 miles from me, nothing there yet either. I havn't located a xm direct kit yet, or sirius, seems there are several kits for Cadillacs available, just not the 2005 STS. I have the 1SC code , package option 03 and infotainment system 0 1 2 listed in the codes. EChas3 mentioned a uPAC-STS, I'm looking into this now. Pretty long, eh?

Doug

ewill3rd
06-18-09, 07:10 AM
Doug, you should see some of the stuff I write if you think that is long!
:lol:

The firmware disc thing takes a brain and some experience to understand, lots of guys don't get it and as this problem fades into the past it will be harder and harder to find someone with the discs and the knowledge to use them.

I haven't taken many apart to know if the shark fin has all 3 antennas in it whether it has XM or not. I don't think it does but you could have someone check the parts catalog and see if they show a different number for U2K. They may not make an XM direct kit for that model, I am not sure. I usually steer people that way first. You might call Specmo to see if they offer anything.
That radio should be XM ready particularly if it is a nav. Specmo is our supplier for Delco Electronic equipment and sometimes they offer kits for things like that.
Start at www.specmo.com
If the antenna part number is different for U2K then you'll have to get one and swap it out.
If Specmo can sell you a receiver then it installs on the rear package shelf under the trim on the right side and you'll have to get an antenna cable which could be a trick too unless one comes in an available kit.

Oh and the trim level won't matter. The only things that will make a difference are the radio RPO and the U2K option. At least afaik.
Keep me posted.

jbmsts
07-30-09, 12:49 AM
What is the uPAC-STS??? I keep reading all these threads and also have questions regarding my 05 STS single disk bose unit. I'm looking into a used 6 disk Nav unit but have no clue what the compatability is.

EChas3
07-31-09, 05:19 PM
uPAC-STS is a plug-compatible add-on that adds up to two sources to the OEM Nav/Bose head-end. I don't know what's available for the base Bose. Sorry.

ddgm
08-01-09, 06:18 PM
What is the uPAC-STS??? I keep reading all these threads and also have questions regarding my 05 STS single disk bose unit. I'm looking into a used 6 disk Nav unit but have no clue what the compatability is.

The uPAC-STS shows compatibility with the 2007 & 2008 models, although I believe EChas3 has a 2006 and is using one. I have been researching this for a couple of months now. I have the NAV in a 2005. I am reluctant to fork out the money as I live in Canada and the customs & shipping hassels if it doesn't work. For some reason nothing seems to work or is listed for the 2005.

Doug

EChas3
08-01-09, 08:14 PM
The uPAC-STS shows compatibility with the 2007 & 2008 models, although I believe EChas3 has a 2006 and is using one. I have been researching this for a couple of months now. I have the NAV in a 2005. I am reluctant to fork out the money as I live in Canada and the customs & shipping hassels if it doesn't work. For some reason nothing seems to work or is listed for the 2005.

Doug

You're right. I am using the uPAC-STS with my Nav/Bose w' XM to get I-Pod connectivity & HD Radio (a waste of time). I see no reason why PAC's unit for your car wouldn't support their XM module. I know their stuff works for me.

How different are the connectors on your Bose than my Nav/Bose? Those modular plugs only fit when they are designed to to do so.

My I-Pod control uses the Bose knobs and the touch screen. I posted the Doc. It's not much cash. Try it.

Good luck.

R1chard
08-02-09, 12:25 AM
You're right. I am using the uPAC-STS with my Nav/Bose w' XM to get I-Pod connectivity & HD Radio (a waste of time). I see no reason why PAC's unit for your car wouldn't support their XM module. I know their stuff works for me.

How different are the connectors on your Bose than my Nav/Bose? Those modular plugs only fit when they are designed to to do so.

My I-Pod control uses the Bose knobs and the touch screen. I posted the Doc. It's not much cash. Try it.

Good luck.

Don't mean to hijack this but EChas3, how do you have your uPAC iPod cable routed in your STS? Into the glove compartment? middle console?

Thanks!

EChas3
08-03-09, 01:43 PM
Don't mean to hijack this but EChas3, how do you have your uPAC iPod cable routed in your STS? Into the glove compartment? middle console?

I drilled a 1/2" hole in the upper left corner of the glovebox. One of these days I'll get a grommet for it. My I-Touch lives in there and stays charged with adequate control via the Nav/Bose XM Radio function. (There's also an aux antenna in there for the HD Radio.)

To be honest, I'm not much into the I-Pod, a friend sent me a 8G one. I ought to load it up with a bunch of my old vinyl. I wonder if it reads pdf's? It's smaller than my manuals!

Imsys
09-19-09, 01:44 AM
What do you mean by cross the cables? Feel stupid asking as I will not cross them and connect it to the battery...not that stupid.
Thanks

EChas3
09-19-09, 02:19 AM
What do you mean by cross the cables? Feel stupid asking as I will not cross them and connect it to the battery...not that stupid.
Thanks

Disconnect Neg, Pos, touch touch them together, attach Pos & Neg. It shoud do a hard reset to the system. I think you will need to reset your express windows settings.

Imsys
10-05-09, 10:51 PM
Did you ever fix this? I have the same issue