: What does the certified pre owned (CPO) cover?

Benjamin Simon
06-03-09, 06:38 PM
My Cadillac was CPO back in 2006. Have the items covered changes recently? I thought things like batteries were covered. I realize tires and brakes were not covered.

Here is a link to a thread discussion the CPO changes.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-non-model-specific-discussion/167520-cadillac-cpo-program-changes.html

Where can I get the details of what was covered under my warranty when I purchased it in 2006?

The dealer tried to screw me today when my battery died. I got charged a diagnostic fee to tell me my battery was fine, although it has died 3 times this week...

Thanks!

jamesbalzer
06-03-09, 09:48 PM
Not sure but I think a battery is considered a maintenance item like tires, brakes, etc. I never have seen a specific list of "whats covered" but was told by the selling dealer that it is a direct extension of the base 4 year/50K new vehicle warranty.

EChas3
06-03-09, 10:09 PM
CPO is supposed to be a new car, bumper-to-bumper warranty. One the other hand, is the battery defective or just worn out? It's a real grey-area item. (I apologize for the oxymoron.) These cars have a history of bad batteries. IMHO, a new car battery should last 5 years. I've had many last longer, but you really can't fault a 60-month life (75K mile in average use).

If you bought the car new from that dealer, there's no harm in trying. If not, what would you do in their shoes?

Replace with a quality equivilent. Exide used to make the best lead-acid batteries in the world. Other posters have found Interstate's to fit. There was one guy that found a premium replacement with state-of-the-art technology (looks like 6 vertical cylinders).

c5 rv
06-03-09, 10:12 PM
My salesman told me that cars sold before the date the program changed in May would be covered under the old program, including wear items. Only cars sold after that date would have the new terms.

Benjamin Simon
06-04-09, 01:11 AM
My salesman told me that cars sold before the date the program changed in May would be covered under the old program, including wear items. Only cars sold after that date would have the new terms.

Is there any literature available mentioning wear items are covered?
I got charged A $70 Diagnostic fee for them to tell me they don't know what is wrong with it. I am not of town, so I did not have time to fight, but I will when I get home.

jamesbalzer
06-04-09, 10:43 AM
Here's the kicker: If they test the battery and there is nothing wrong with it, they can't bill GM for their time. Seems silly, but the only way they get paid by GM is to fix something. The technician still has to be paid by the dealership for the time he spent on your car so they figure they have to bill someone. Some dealerships just eat this as a cost of doing business, others don't.

cadillacroadside
06-04-09, 10:58 AM
IF YOUR VEHICLE WAS PURCHASED BEFORE APRIL 26TH OF 2009 YOU HAVE COMPLETE BUMPER TO BUMPR, IF PURCHASED AFTER THAT DATE YOU WILL RECEIVE A LIST OF COVERED ITEMS. ALOT HAS CHANGED . AFTER APRIL OF 09 BATTERIES, INTERIOR TRIM WATER LEAKS ETC...ARE not COVERED

TSS
06-04-09, 02:28 PM
^^ That stinks. I swore by CPO and would not even consider buying anything but Cadillac, when buying used, because of the CPO. It might make the choice in deciding between CPO Cadillac and GMPP Chevy tougher for me now. Especially when my 2007 Lade lease is up next year and I had planned to buy mine as a certified vehicle. Now a GMPP 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 6.2 might end up in the garage. I was really willing to pay more for the CPO service, but not just for the Caddy badge.

Anybody have the exact wording of the new conditions of CPO?

Benjamin Simon
06-04-09, 03:39 PM
^^ That stinks. I swore by CPO and would not even consider buying anything but Cadillac, when buying used, because of the CPO. It might make the choice in deciding between CPO Cadillac and GMPP Chevy tougher for me now. Especially when my 2007 Lade lease is up next year and I had planned to buy mine as a certified vehicle. Now a GMPP 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 6.2 might end up in the garage. I was really willing to pay more for the CPO service, but not just for the Caddy badge.

Anybody have the exact wording of the new conditions of CPO?

Or the exact wording on the old conditions??
The new conditions are found on the cadillac website.

lreddiablo
06-04-09, 05:37 PM
I am pre change times. My battery died, jumped it, wouldn't start again at my friend's place so I called Cadillac Roadside. They sent someone out from the local dealer on a truck, tested the battery, saw it sucked, replaced it on site, covered under warranty.

jamesbalzer
06-04-09, 11:44 PM
I signed the paperwork on my CPO on 4/25/09. Glad I didn't wait until the weekend......dealer told me things were changing the next day but I would be covered under old plan. How is this affected by the 03/30/09-??/??/09 "Government Backed" deal?

Benjamin Simon
06-05-09, 12:28 AM
I signed the paperwork on my CPO on 4/25/09. Glad I didn't wait until the weekend......dealer told me things were changing the next day but I would be covered under old plan. How is this affected by the 03/30/09-??/??/09 "Government Backed" deal?

Do you have a copy of the paper work that explains the coverage details? Perhaps you would be ever so kind to post a PDF????

jamesbalzer
06-05-09, 09:46 AM
I got nothing from the dealer (except a deep screwing) when we signed. Just a card that shows "CPO" with the VIN, original in-service date, and expiration date of the CPO coverage. I think the idea prior to 4/26/09 is that it IS an extension of the base 4/50K.

TSS
06-05-09, 09:51 AM
Or the exact wording on the old conditions??

I never got any paperwork when I bought our 2001 SLS in 2003 as a CPO. I was just told it was identical to the 4 yr/50K coverage. Which, it did prove to be! So, old CPO was truly an extension of the factory bumper to bumper.

bbshriver
06-05-09, 10:30 AM
I didn't get any additional paperwork at all for my 2005... but the cardboard license plate fillers had the CPO logo, and the local dealership (I bought out of state) has been great so far. Even replaced a fuse for the 12v outlet under warranty, as well as the paint-peeling start button neither of which I expected under warranty.

My understanding is the same as yours, that the CPO warranty is the same as the factory warranty, but extended to 6 years/100k. bumper to bumper. I'm really surprised it covers the battery. My tires were dry-rotting and I had them replaced but the dealer did not mention anything about those being under warranty. I do have an annoying squeak coming from the back somewhere i need to have looked at.

I got nothing from the dealer (except a deep screwing) when we signed. Just a card that shows "CPO" with the VIN, original in-service date, and expiration date of the CPO coverage. I think the idea prior to 4/26/09 is that it IS an extension of the base 4/50K.

EChas3
06-05-09, 11:15 PM
A check of the VIN shows the date. I'm confident that's the key. Unfortunately, there is a lot of room for dealer interpretation.