: ST Performance TuneUp

lreddiablo
06-03-09, 04:18 PM
Just recieved a reply from justin at blackbearperformance com about my inquary to get the performance tune-up for my 05 STS4 V8. This is the same tune-up people that Texas Jim has been praising for his DTS. Justin told me that they dont do '05 but the program is for late 06-current STS. :( Wish I would have held off for an '06 for this reason and the 6 speed, and oh ya, the windows that close from remote control.
From what Texas Jim told me I would love to see this tuneup done in an STS. Anyone think they might go for it? Was planning on going to his Phoenix meet next weekend if he could work with my car.

Dadollac1
06-03-09, 04:24 PM
Just recieved a reply from justin at blackbearperformance com about my inquary to get the performance tune-up for my 05 STS4 V8. This is the same tune-up people that Texas Jim has been praising for his DTS. Justin told me that they dont do '05 but the program is for late 06-current STS. :( Wish I would have held off for an '06 for this reason and the 6 speed, and oh ya, the windows that close from remote control.
From what Texas Jim told me I would love to see this tuneup done in an STS. Anyone think they might go for it? Was planning on going to his Phoenix meet next weekend if he could work with my car.

Well I have an 05 STS and I can close my windows with the remote.:bouncy: just don't have the 6 speed

lreddiablo
06-03-09, 04:39 PM
gotta get my dealer to fix that then, too bad cant say its the wrong tranny and get them to update that too.

EChas3
06-03-09, 09:18 PM
I believe all the 2005's and 2006's are the same. The issue is just lazy/ignorant service departments. 2007's are different; transmissions, electronics, etc. Can't prove it, never will.

Sorry if this offends...

Superjim
06-03-09, 09:22 PM
I believe all the 2005's and 2006's are the same. The issue is just lazy/ignorant service departments. 2007's are different; transmissions, electronics, etc. Can't prove it, never will.

Sorry if this offends...

If you are talking about the tuning of the STS...
The 2005 and older, uses a different Engine Control Module and Transmission Control Module than the 2006 and newer.

If you were talking about something else...sorry. :)

EChas3
06-03-09, 10:06 PM
I'm always willing to learn. If the 2005's use a different ECM than later, so be it. Mechanically and in other electronics the 2006's are the same as the 2005's. My 2006 was delivered in September 2005. I wonder when GM changed parts.

I have a 1971 Triumph TR6, so I know that manufacturers can make design changes that don't coincide exactly with model years. In fact, some seem to grab parts at random and then tune to fit. I'm confident that's not true with my STS, but whatever differences exist between 2005 & 2006 models may be more a matter of VIN than model year.

Superjim
06-04-09, 07:56 AM
I'm always willing to learn. If the 2005's use a different ECM than later, so be it. Mechanically and in other electronics the 2006's are the same as the 2005's. My 2006 was delivered in September 2005. I wonder when GM changed parts.

I have a 1971 Triumph TR6, so I know that manufacturers can make design changes that don't coincide exactly with model years. In fact, some seem to grab parts at random and then tune to fit. I'm confident that's not true with my STS, but whatever differences exist between 2005 & 2006 models may be more a matter of VIN than model year.

Not sure of the exact date when they changed to using the newer ECM/TCM for the 2006 STS.

I just know what my tuner guy says and what is posted on the EFILive website.

I "DO KNOW" that they do make running changes during the model year. :hmm:

I have had two 2006 model DTS Performance Sedans...first one was a VERY EARLY production model, (August 2005)...I bought it Sep 2005.
The next one was a mid year production model. (May 2006)...I bought Dec 2006.

There was a VERY NOTICEABLY difference in the way they ran and in the handling of the two cars.

After extensive research, I found that there were numerous changes made, during the model year, not only to the ECM/TCM but to the BCM as well.

The BCM changes were to the MRC controls to make it ride smoother and softer, but at the expense of better handling. The second car even had a different stance when sitting still. The first one sat LOWER TO THE GROUND, and had more of a "HUNKERED DOWN" look. The second one sat higher...with more space between the top of the tires and the wheel well opening. It took a TECH 2, an "EXCELLENT" service manager at my dealer, and several hours of his time and work to reset the suspension so that it was more like the first one.

Some of the changes to the ECM/TCM were to make it upshift smoother, delay downshifts and they lowered the speed limiter from 130 to 123 among other things. All of this was done to make it smoother and softer, more like what MOST PEOPLE thought a Cadillac should be like, but all of it was done at the expense of performance.

Dealer would not play with the ECM/TCM because of liability concerns. :hmm:

It has taken a lot of research to find this out and a fair amount of bucks to get it all corrected to get my car to be the way I wanted it to be when I bought it.

I wanted it more like the first one I bought.
I really, really liked THAT car. :cool2:
Now I really, really like THIS ONE. :cool2:

Texas Jim

bierman.d
06-04-09, 12:08 PM
Well I have an 05 STS and I can close my windows with the remote.:bouncy: just don't have the 6 speed

Sorry to proceed off topic, but someone has to explain this to me:
If my 2005 can do it, how do I do it? lol

EChas3
06-04-09, 07:44 PM
Sorry to proceed off topic, but someone has to explain this to me:
If my 2005 can do it, how do I do it? lol

Press & hold the Fob Lock button.

K STS
06-05-09, 12:01 AM
So what would this performance tune up give you on a 2006 STS?

lreddiablo
06-05-09, 04:37 PM
check out their website, blackberperformance, also look them up on gm-trucks.com, they have their own forum there. From what I hear, better shifting, getting rid of a lot of limits, basically more efficient power and maybe somewhat better mileage. Hole he figures out the '05 TCM sometime