: Have you seen the new Camaro?

agp
06-03-09, 01:13 PM
Well, I just saw one today... 2010 Chevy Camaro, looks, well, interesting. As we all know many American cars are being remodeled to look like those classic cars (Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, etc) but this Camaro looks very odd. At the same time, I thought it also looked stunning... Even though I can never see myself driving a muscle car (not because I don't like them), I still thought the car would be pretty cool to own. (MSRP starts at 23k)

CadillacGurl
06-03-09, 01:15 PM
I see one everyday :D I live right by Michigan Avenue and I've seen dark gray, red, and white ones. My favorite is black... Soooo sexy :drool:

Jesda
06-03-09, 01:17 PM
Other than at an auto show? Never.

MauiV
06-03-09, 01:35 PM
Yes, they are huge, almost as big as a new Challenger and the tail end is almost as ugly as a 2010 Mustang.

Destroyer
06-03-09, 01:39 PM
I've seen a black one. Very nice! I'd take one over a Mustang or Challenger.

96Fleetwood
06-03-09, 01:44 PM
I'd take one over a Mustang or Challenger.

Until you see the 40K MSRP for a loaded 2SS and then get into the uber cheap interior... You can't even get Navigation on the Camaro.. at least the 2010 Mustang offers it now.

The Tony Show
06-03-09, 01:45 PM
I drove an SS a few months back, and I thought the car was stunning in person. I was a little "meh" on the interior, but it's an impressive car for the money, and my favorite of the new pony cars (followed closely by the Mustang).

ga_etc
06-03-09, 01:46 PM
Not yet but dieing to. Got passed by one one night last week. It was too dark so couldn't make out anything other than what it was. There aren't any on any of the Chevy lots around here so I can't go drool...

agp
06-03-09, 02:09 PM
If you had to choose one..
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangtuning//2010-black-camaro-concept-01.jpg
http://www.moparregister.com/articles/challenger/moparregister-challenger-black.jpg
http://www.autobild.de/ir_img/65660661_824658000a.jpg

Jesda
06-03-09, 02:11 PM
Navigation in a pony car? Just drive around! The further the better.

^^Says the guy who got lost in Chicago and almost went ape-shit on the general public.

thebigjimsho
06-03-09, 02:11 PM
If you had to choose one..
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangtuning//2010-black-camaro-concept-01.jpg
http://www.moparregister.com/articles/challenger/moparregister-challenger-black.jpg
http://www.autobild.de/ir_img/65660661_824658000a.jpg
Until the Mustang can have more V8 power without a giant iron block and/or s/c, I pick the Camaro then the Mustang.

Challenger? Gawd no...

"G$"
06-03-09, 02:12 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll134/spaman_2008/IMG_0354_1.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll134/spaman_2008/IMG_0356_1.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll134/spaman_2008/IMG_0358.jpg

ga_etc
06-03-09, 02:17 PM
The Mustang is just another Mustang. The Challenger is admittedly a good looking car and sounds great, but doesn't get the job done in the curves. The Camaro is striking and aggressive looking while having body lines that should make the other two blush. I also think the halos in the headlights look awesome. Camaro please...

dqw1
06-03-09, 02:23 PM
A friend of mine that lives down the street from me bought a black SS without the pod option. Really nice looking in person but it's too quiet for a V-8 with the stock exhaust. I'd take it.

agp
06-03-09, 02:37 PM
Camaro's eyes look very evil, in a good way. It seems to stare to to BMW's Angel Eyes.
http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/slideshow/mycarr/lede90/mycarrled90_04.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-03-09, 02:54 PM
I saw one at work the other day, I was not impressed.

ga_etc
06-03-09, 03:03 PM
The black Camaro pictured is a concept model which is why the halos are red. The production model is white like the BMWs. It really would look mean if there were a way to customize them and turn them different colors.

C&C
06-03-09, 03:15 PM
See above posts (for why the 'pony' cars exuded bench racing beyond the ordinary). Make mine Camaro.

The Tony Show
06-03-09, 03:53 PM
The black Camaro pictured is a concept model which is why the halos are red. The production model is white like the BMWs. It really would look mean if there were a way to customize them and turn them different colors.

Those light pipes (or Halos) are usually just an LED at the end of a tube. I'd bet that it's a pretty easy mod.

Rodya234
06-03-09, 04:26 PM
I've seen five new Camaros, but I wasn't impressed. Mainly because one of them was parked next to a white (:drool:) '09 CTS-V.

Generally I just don't like the pony cars. They're the definition of the stereotypical American car.

If I was in a position to buy a new car, I'd just shell out a little bit more money and get a base Corvette, which is a real sports car. Or I'd just wait till next year and buy an Audi RS5.

ryannel2003
06-03-09, 05:10 PM
I've seen a 2LT in Yellow and a 2SS in Orange. Definitely a good looking car, though I'm not so sure about the interior. I'm beginning to warm up to the 2010 Mustang and I've always liked the Challenger.

AMGoff
06-03-09, 08:25 PM
I'm sure I'll be one of the few who actually comes out and says it (that is, unless Josiah happens to possibly browse through here), but out of the three... I'd take the Challenger - there, I said it. The Camaro would certainly be my second choice by a wide margin because the Mustang is just, well... a Mustang. But styling-wise, the Camaro just doesn't do all that much for me and with cars like these, it's about almost nothing but style.

It really comes down to nothing but a matter of personal preference... As such, the Challenger just does it for me. Maybe it's just that I've always had a soft-spot for Mopars or maybe it's because Dodge damn-near nailed a perfect balance between modern/retro styling, but whatever it is... The Challenger just does it for me. My jaw dropped the first time they unveiled the concept and I still get all sorts fuzzy, funny feelings every time I pass one today.

Plus, being a Dodge... I should be able to wait a couple years and pick up a R/T or hell, maybe even an SRT model for around the $18-20 mark :D

Night Wolf
06-03-09, 08:43 PM
I was really hyped on all 3 of these cars in the past....

but someone at work has a BMW 135i, convertible, in Montego Blue, everytime I see it, the top is down. That car is ABSOLUTELY stunning! I thought it looked good in the pictures, but in person it's one heck of an excellent looking car, had to grow on me at first, the Bagle styling and all. It's "E30 sized" which is a big plus. It's moved up quite far on my "future used car" purchase list. The "flame surfacing" is really apparent, and very cool. For similar price, I'd glady take one over any of the new Pony cars, more my style.

As for the muscle.... the Challenger looks the most "clean" The Camaro.... I dunno, I saw that huge grille in person, just screams cheap plastic, but otherwise looks good. The new Mustang took a pretty cool design and made it more aggressive. I guess I'd have to see/compare the interiors to really say.

agp
06-03-09, 08:47 PM
I have a dream... that one day I will see a Charger, a Camaro, a Challenger, and perhaps a Shelby cruising the streets at the same time. I hope this dream comes true haha

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-03-09, 08:58 PM
I think my Camaro count is up to 13 or 14. Maybe because I drive 1100 miles a week, for a business that involves going to a lot of different dealers? :lol:

I still like the Camaro most. It's styling is cutting edge and fresh, it's got a drivetrain that I'm familiar with, an interior that's easy on the eyes and a history that (IMO) is less marred than either the Mustang or Challenger's (OK, the '70s Camaros weren't anything great, but it's better than a Mustang II!)

The Challenger is nice, but it's huge, and the styling is too derivative for me. It's a beautiful car, but I like something a little more fresh (no offense Adam or Josiah). The Mustang takes #2 for me because it also has cutting edge styling that looks a little like an older model (the 69-70), but has enough modern angles so it looks new and fresh. Plus, it comes really loaded for a pony car (auto HVAC, auto headlamps, leather, etc etc).

While I always liked the Camaro, the Firebird is my favorite muscle car ever. Too bad they didn't resurrect that one. :(

Harry_Wild
06-04-09, 12:49 AM
I was going to buy a SS but then pictures started to come out on the interior of the Camaro and that was a big turn off! Seeing it at the car show; I knew I made the right decision. It is really ugly! It Had bright orange and black combo and ugly dash fixtures that are suppose to represent retro look. The door panels and dash board are made of the cheapest plastic.

I hope they get rid of the interior and take some of the Cadallic interior styling and put it inside the premium package option. I would think about buy it then.

Eric Kahn
06-04-09, 01:13 AM
I went and saw one when they showed up at a dealer here, not really impressed and designed for short people

96Fleetwood
06-04-09, 07:36 AM
The door panels and dash board are made of the cheapest plastic.

EXACTLY! When my Father and I test drove a 2010 Camaro 3 weeks ago, that huge piece of plastic on the doors squeaks when you shut them!! It had 12 miles on it :tisk:

dantheman86
06-04-09, 09:39 AM
I've seen 5 of them so far. I've always loved the Camaro, and I am definitely not disappointed with the new one. However, I just got a CTS-V last month, so my dreams of getting a 2010 Camaro disappeared.

70eldo
06-04-09, 09:48 AM
They are not in Europe yet, so I haven't seen one yet. My Cadillac/Corvette dealer will get some in a few weeks and will notify me. I hope to be able to testdrive one! It looks better than the Mustang and the Challenger and the Camaro has better performance than the Ford and better handling than the Challenger. Easy choise I would say...

And yet, there are mods available already! That went quicker than for the CTS. At least the 3.6L can share some engine mods with the CTS.

I was so sure I wanted that Camaro as my next car. But then we got a kid and I need a wagon now....

93DevilleUSMC
06-04-09, 07:47 PM
Well, Adam and Chad, I love the Challenger R/T and would love to have one, but performance is performance, and I've actually moved over to the Camaro camp. The Camaro hits the right balance of weight, has excellent handling, and honors it's styling heritage extremely well while being nothing less than a 21st century icon.

If I could have any Camaro I wanted, I would have the Camaro SS in Red Jewel Tintcoat with white SS stripes and the automatic. I'd go with the automatic becasue MT was able to get a slightly faster 0-60 time with it.
If I was actually going to buy a Camaro, though, I would choose the same color combo in the V6 model.

Something to note: everyone keeps throwing the Challenger's weight around and bragging about how the Camaro SS beat the Challenger R/T in handling tests. According to MT, this was due in part to the softer suspension on the R/T versus that of the SRT8. No one, however, has run the SS Camaro against the Challenger SRT8. I can see that comparison being much closer.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 07:57 PM
I just read in Car & Driver today that the new 304HP V6 Camaro does 0-60 0.7s faster then the 1968 Camaro SS 396 they tested new.

93DevilleUSMC
06-04-09, 08:08 PM
The Challenger is nice, but it's huge, and the styling is too derivative for me. It's a beautiful car, but I like something a little more fresh (no offense Adam or Josiah). The Mustang takes #2 for me because it also has cutting edge styling that looks a little like an older model (the 69-70), but has enough modern angles so it looks new and fresh. Plus, it comes really loaded for a pony car (auto HVAC, auto headlamps, leather, etc etc).

While I always liked the Camaro, the Firebird is my favorite muscle car ever. Too bad they didn't resurrect that one. :(

The Challenger's derivative styling is, IMHO, what makes it work so well and why it has been selling so well: it resurrects it's pony car ancestor, while the Camaro and Mustang do more of an homage to their predecessors. The Challenger brings back all of the character and design elements of the original: the brash yet sculpted styling, the pure power, the body striping, the chrome, and the wild colors. Yes, it's derivative, and wonderfully so.

The Mustang's styling was nothing short of brilliant for 2010. Ford could have easily given in to temptation to make a me-too completely restyled sixth-generation Mustang. Instead they completely refreshed the styling of the 2005 Mustang, without which this whole retro car craze wouldn't have even gotten to market in the first place. The execution on the Mustang is subtle and well done! Now, give me the Camaro so I can murder it.

Night Wolf
06-04-09, 08:24 PM
I must say, what's with the recent band wagon of using vinyl stickers on major parts of the car... from the factory.

The new Charger has it on the back, Challenger on the hood, Camaro on the hood... just massive amounts of usually flat black vinyl stuck on body panels. IMO it looks cheap. If you want blacked out panels or stripes, fine.... but why not paint them on so it looks like there was some thought and quality taken into account?

MauiV
06-04-09, 08:35 PM
The Mustang's styling was nothing short of brilliant for 2010.

Set down the pipe and slowly step away from the keyboard.

You are the first person EVER to say anything good about the 2010 styling. The rear end is one of the ugliest of all time. FAIL

93DevilleUSMC
06-04-09, 08:47 PM
Set down the pipe and slowly step away from the keyboard.

You are the first person EVER to say anything good about the 2010 styling. The rear end is one of the ugliest of all time. FAIL

I can't help it, I love love the new Mustang was executed, and I love the real aluminum in the interior. I would love to have a GT Premium in sterling grey metallic with a white center stripe.

93DevilleUSMC
06-04-09, 08:51 PM
Oh, and Chad, as far as the Firebird goes, I wish there could have been one. That would have meant keeping Pontiac around, which is the last thing GM needed to do. Maybe Pontiac can do a Final Edition re-run of the Firebird based off the Camaro. (One can only fantasize; I know it's not going to happen.)

93DevilleUSMC
06-04-09, 08:54 PM
I just read in Car & Driver today that the new 304HP V6 Camaro does 0-60 0.7s faster then the 1968 Camaro SS 396 they tested new.

The new Camaro has 6 gears, while the 1968 model didn't.