: 4 Mile/ 50,000 mile warranty - what does it cover?

K STS
06-03-09, 01:11 PM
After much searching on the forums and internet, im curious as to what the factory warranty on my car covers. Mine is up in 2 months, and I want to get everything I can fixed.

Any one have any ideas? Also, do you usually get a rental/loaner while your car is in the shop?

R1chard
06-03-09, 01:40 PM
After much searching on the forums and internet, im curious as to what the factory warranty on my car covers. Mine is up in 2 months, and I want to get everything I can fixed.

Any one have any ideas? Also, do you usually get a rental/loaner while your car is in the shop?

If you're referring to the GMPP extended warranty (Major / Value and Basic Guard) look here: Link (http://www.gm-auto-mall.com/major_guard_protection_plan.cfm)

PS. That is a dealer's website just for reference.

dkozloski
06-03-09, 01:46 PM
I think he is referring to the original 4 YEAR/50,000 mile warranty. He needs to read the documents that came with the car where it is all clearly spelled out.

R1chard
06-03-09, 01:56 PM
I think he is referring to the original 4 YEAR/50,000 mile warranty. He needs to read the documents that came with the car where it is all clearly spelled out.

Doh, didn't even read it right.

Maybe this would be a start? Link (http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/ownership.jsp) :(

K STS
06-03-09, 02:14 PM
Thats on a 2009. I am indeed refering to the FACTORY OEM warranty good for 4 years or 50k miles. I dont have the original paperwork, as I bought the car used.

mapmaker
06-03-09, 02:16 PM
I know for sure that a loaner car is not included, I looked at my warranty papers to be sure. They only specify "courtesy transportation", which means either a loaner or a shuttle service to take you back to work or home and they pick you up when the work is finished. That's not a big deal because my dealer provides the shuttle service when I have the car in for an oil change.

K STS
06-03-09, 02:33 PM
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/ownership.jsp

This would be great if it said somewhere the same coverages applied to the 2006 warranty cars.

dkozloski
06-03-09, 02:52 PM
I believe that the dealer is obligated by his franchise agreement to inform you of what the warranty includes. You might try politely asking them.

EChas3
06-03-09, 02:54 PM
YMMV. Dealers vary. Mine does provide free loaners, but not Caddies as some others have reported. Technically, maintenance and wear components aren't covered but some posters have claimed that their dealers have covered brakes (under the argument that they shouldn't have worm out in less than 20K mile) or tires (factory alignment bad) or even wipers. Car washes & complementary oil changes are common. To me, those are extraordinary dealers.

IMHO, a warranty is a promise to fix factory defects. I expect to replace brake pads, but not rotors or calipers unless I knowingly drove on worn pads. It's not a promise of perfection. It's a reasonable protection against the unkown. If you've got a transmission problem, it really should be fixed under the 100,000 drivetrain warranty, anyway. My dealer told me that when Caddillac began offering this warranty & added roadside assistance, it was retro-active and applied to the used cars we were buying (2007 non-CPO & 2006 CPO).

I'll include design flaws, too, but only to the extent that they are hidden. When I'm selling, I feel an ethical obligation to disclose hidden flaws, but the buyer should count the horse's legs if he wants a four legged horse. With the STS Voice Recognition for example, a buyer has an opportunity to test it with their own voice before agreeing to purchase the car or negotiate the price. It is not a hidden flaw/weakness, etc.

My ethics are different when I'm trading a car to a dealer. More likely than not, they will sell my trade-in at auction. I feel no compunctions at all. If it's a '98 N* he should know their head gasket history. He's in the business and can do a compression or leakdown test if he wants. (True story - it was a car we bought from them, anyway!)

Naturally, I think I'm being reasonable. Of course, we don't live in a reasonable world. A manufacturer may claim it's 'normal' for a engine to use 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I would sure be disappointed if my N* did that. But many earlier ones did. How many got ring jobs under warranty?

next2pool
06-03-09, 03:34 PM
2006 manual:
Cadillac Owner Privileges™
Roadside Service provides several Cadillac Owner
Privileges™ at “no charge,” throughout your Cadillac
Warranty Period—48 months/50,000 miles (80 000 km).
Emergency Road Service is performed on site for the
following situations:
• Towing Service
• Battery Jump Starting
• Lock Out Assistance
• Fuel Delivery
• Flat Tire Change (Covers change only)
• Trip Interruption — If your trip is interrupted due to
a warranty failure, incidental expenses may be
reimbursed during the 48 months/50,000 miles
(80 000 km) warranty period. Items covered
are hotel, meals, and rental car.
Roadside Service Availability
Wherever you drive in the United States or Canada, an
advisor is available to assist you over the phone. A dealer
technician, if available, can travel to your location within a
30 mile (50 km) radius of a participating Cadillac
dealership. If beyond this radius, we will arrange to have
your car towed to the nearest Cadillac dealership.

Courtesy Rental Vehicle
Your dealer may arrange to provide you with a courtesy
rental vehicle or reimburse you for a rental vehicle
that you obtain if your vehicle is kept for a warranty
repair. Reimbursement will be limited to a maximum
amount per day and must be supported by receipts. This
requires that you sign and complete a rental agreement
and meet state, local and rental vehicle provider
requirements. Requirements vary and may include
minimum age requirements, insurance coverage, credit
card, etc. You are responsible for fuel usage charges
and may also be responsible for taxes, levies,
usage fees, excessive mileage or rental usage beyond
the completion of the repair.
Generally it is not possible to provide a like-vehicle as a
courtesy rental.

K STS
06-03-09, 06:25 PM
How about a list of TSBs? Im pulling 4 check engine codes: P0340 and P0341.

EChas3
06-03-09, 07:14 PM
Forum members have reported some hostility from service writers when owners present TSB or other internal GM publications. I recommend a balance of ignorance and persistence. :)

Dumb & friendly can work wonders. (Is there am emoticon for cynic?)

WillySTS
06-03-09, 08:15 PM
Forum members have reported some hostility from service writers when owners present TSB or other internal GM publications. I recommend a balance of ignorance and persistence. :)

That is correct, go in, report the problem and use the remainder of your warranty on whatever problems you have. Besides, there isn't that much to list specificly for the V8's, most of the TSBs apply to the V6 models and AWD models. The most common ones have been covered on this board in the "STICKY" most problems with the STS.:thepan:

K STS
06-04-09, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Ill review those issues.

z06bigbird
06-05-09, 11:47 AM

Yes, mother. LOL

z06bigbird
06-05-09, 11:53 AM

1. Ask the receptionist or a sales person: "Which service writer do I stay away from?" You will generally get a straight answer.

2. or Ask the service manager the same question.

3. Go to your selected service writer and ask if this TSB applies to your car/situation. If he/she says no, then ask service writer if he/she can escalate the question to a mgr. Tell service writer you are not trying to go behind his/her back, but you are concerned about....

4. P. S. Don't burn any bridges, as service writers are jumping ship by the dozens right now. If you beat one up real badly and switch dealers, you just might see "your old friend" at a different dealer.