: Puffs of smoke while revving in park

ga_etc
06-03-09, 10:06 AM
After doing some reading on here and trying to find an answer I haven't gotten anything definitive. My '99 ETC currently has 113,700 miles on her and runs great. I have noticed though that if I rev it up in park in the driveway or under hard acceleration that it'll puff a little smoke. Nothing really dramatic, just something I've noticed. It's enough to leave deposits on the tips and just a little residue on the bumper, more so on the passenger side. Is this something of concern or just typical N* behavior? I love my car and would get in it right now and set off for a cross country trip without thinking twice, my curiosity has just gotten the best of me.

Ranger
06-03-09, 10:34 AM
It's not normal. What does the smoke smell like? What does the residue on the tips look, smell, taste like?

ga_etc
06-03-09, 10:54 AM
I'll have to get someone to rev it for me while I stand behind it one time to find out what it really smells like. Occasionally it does smell like it's running a little rich. The residue on the tips leaves them black, like carbon. I cleaned the TB on it about a month ago and it was solid black. Done the WOTs from time to time to help keep it cleaned out. When I rev it, it can't be seen from inside the car. I've only noticed it from playing with my digital camera in the driveway to see what the exhaust sounded like.

Submariner409
06-03-09, 11:15 AM
Sticking injector or fuel pressure regulator ? Black smoke on acceleration is gasoline, blue smoke on deceleration is oil. White "smoke" or steam is coolant.

The apparent staining on the passenger side more than the driver side tells you that the passenger side muffler may have a tad less restriction than the driver's side: those are phony duals, so the gas flow goes primarily to the side of the Y pipe with less restriction. Absolutely inconsequential, just interesting.

Ranger
06-03-09, 11:15 AM
White smoke should not leave black carbon on the tips. Get a whiff of it. It will either smell like oil, fuel or coolant.

ga_etc
06-03-09, 11:25 AM
Can't see any smoke from inside the car. Never seen any smoking during WOT under throttle or deceleration. It looks like soot build up that you would find in most exhaust pipes on cars. There's not been any power loss or wild temp spikes or anything.

ga_etc
06-03-09, 11:32 AM
YouTube - 1999 Cadillac Eldorado ETC exhaust video 2
The only daylight video I have of it on youtube. You can see just a small puff of smoke on the hardest rev. The rest is steam from it being a cool day in the fall. It got to be a mild concern after having the oil changed one day and it got MUCH worse. Since then I've had the oil changed at the dealership and it hasn't been near as bad.

Submariner409
06-03-09, 11:48 AM
Nothing to worry about that I can see/hear. Looks normal.

Is most of your driving city or highway ??? A city car will have brown/black exhaust tips. A highway car will have light brown/gray/ clean tips.

All has to do with exhaust system heat and exhaust gas flow.

ga_etc
06-03-09, 11:55 AM
Mostly city driving. Just an occasional trip to Chattanooga or so. I'm scheduled for an oil change later today. When I get home I'll try and take a new video and post it so you guys can see exactly what I'm talking about. I did just clean the tips yesterday too.

tateos
06-03-09, 01:10 PM
I don't think there is a problem, but if you really want to know what is going on in your engine, remove and inspect each of the spark plugs - then you will know for sure. You are looking at the exhaust tips - they are downstream - go to the source.

ga_etc
06-03-09, 01:41 PM
Just changed the plugs in it about 4 months ago. Maybe less.

Raze
06-03-09, 02:24 PM
That looks exactly like what my car would do for the year or so before I lifted the front head off the block, I would do a test for combustion gasses in your coolant, the kits like $50...

ga_etc
06-03-09, 02:30 PM
The steam is from it being a cool day in the fall. On a day like today with it hot and humid there is no vapor in the exhaust. I don't even want to entertain the thought of HGs. I still have a year to pay on the car.

tateos
06-03-09, 03:04 PM
Just changed the plugs in it about 4 months ago. Maybe less.

Ok - great. What did you notice when you took the old ones out? After 4 months, you can also take out the ones that are in there now and a get a good idea

ga_etc
06-03-09, 03:10 PM
The old ones were the factory plugs with about 110K on them. They were burnt up but clean. I may try checking one of them again after things that are going on right now settle down. I have too much on my mind at the moment. I've killed a ton of time on here today while either waiting on, or sitting with my from having her gallbladder removed. Been here since 7am.

tateos
06-03-09, 05:09 PM
I they all look about the same, and look normal - hopefully you know what that looks like - then I think you are OK...for now.