: 2008 STS Upgrade to Navigation Unit

D_Lac
06-03-09, 09:33 AM
I was thinking of buying an 08 STS, however the one I'm looking at does not come with the DVD Navigation, and I was wondering can the car be upgraded or is it not possible. I was looking on the GM accessories website and I didn't see a listing for he Navigation DVD unit, soo I was wondering whats up. Thanks in advance.

Oh by the way a link to where I can get a quote would be nice if anyone has one.

hugo
06-03-09, 11:02 AM
It's been tried but it seems to be very difficult and expensive. There is a thread somewhere (or on the CTS forum) about adding NAV.

I would suggest that you use the OnStar Turn by Turn instead. It is easier to use, more up to date and would be less expensive than adding a built in NAV system.

Or, you could try a Tom Tom or similar aftermarket system.

ifmracin
06-03-09, 04:14 PM
You're far better off finding a car that has the nav installed. (from the other threads on the topic)

mike sts
06-03-09, 08:25 PM
pioneer makes some really nice nav radios with bluetooth, would work better than the factory unit

EChas3
06-03-09, 08:47 PM
With these cars, it's really simple. Don't buy it unless it has everthing you want. Period. Don't believe anyone who says different.

Doubters? Post your reasons. I won't have to refute them. Others will.

tomm
06-04-09, 12:55 AM
Adding factory NAV to the CTS was an easy project (I did the mod myself very early on) since the connectors were the same and you only had to add a few items like VSS, External Speaker for directions, Etc. STS is completely different and nothing will match. It can be done but its not worth the expense. Look for an STS that has the factory navigation if that is what you are after. Personally I dont like the look of the STS interior without the nav so when shopping for an STS I only looked at units that had it.

Superjim
06-04-09, 08:04 AM
Find one that has everything you want. :)

Don't SETTLE FOR one that DON'T HAVE everything you want. :tisk: :tisk:
You will always wish that you had waited and found the RIGHT ONE.

BTDT...too many times. :stirpot:

Texas Jim

marathonman89
06-04-09, 09:18 AM
Hello,

I have a 2008 STS with Nav. It's only accurate about 80% of the time, in fact, it won't get me closer than 1/4 mile away from my house with a water canal between the marked spot and my house.

So, what to do?

1st, I had the unit replace and got update disks under warranty. No change, so the problem is in the hardware/firmware.

2nd, Complained to GM Customer Service and got turn by turn through On-Star and On-Star free for an additional year.

3rd, Bought a refurbished TomTom 730 on buy.com for $180 shipped. Works perfectly 100% of the time. Use it when traveling on business (rental cars) and as a back up to Nav unit and turn by turn.

Of course the Nav unit has additional neat features like controlling radio, dvd, XM, vehicle personalization, etc.

But if you are talking about the Nav unit as a Navigation aid I can tell you from personal experience, here in South Florida, it's not all it's cracked up to be. In fact if I knew then what I know now I would not have purchased the option.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Pete

D_Lac
06-04-09, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I have another question along the same lines, does the existing factory radio have an auxilury audio input that can be used to look up a aftermarket DVD/Navigation unit, I could relocate the screen to the passenger sunvisor, or something like that. If I could do that I could live with it. Can that be done?

ifmracin
06-04-09, 10:50 AM
Mine has an A/V input in the center console, but I have the factory Nav.
Someone else will have to chime in for the non-nav units.

And I agree, the car dash was obviously designed with the intention of having the Nav screen because they just don't look right without it.
Plus, with all the car customizations available with the screen, I wouldn't want it any other way.
Peronally, if I'm getting a luxury vehicle I want it to be loaded.

EChas3
06-04-09, 08:04 PM
Hello,

I have a 2008 STS with Nav. It's only accurate about 80% of the time, in fact, it won't get me closer than 1/4 mile away from my house with a water canal between the marked spot and my house.

So, what to do?

1st, I had the unit replace and got update disks under warranty. No change, so the problem is in the hardware/firmware.

2nd, Complained to GM Customer Service and got turn by turn through On-Star and On-Star free for an additional year.

3rd, Bought a refurbished TomTom 730 on buy.com for $180 shipped. Works perfectly 100% of the time. Use it when traveling on business (rental cars) and as a back up to Nav unit and turn by turn.

Of course the Nav unit has additional neat features like controlling radio, dvd, XM, vehicle personalization, etc.

But if you are talking about the Nav unit as a Navigation aid I can tell you from personal experience, here in South Florida, it's not all it's cracked up to be. In fact if I knew then what I know now I would not have purchased the option.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Pete

Pete,

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. However, I really can't agree on the Factory Navigation. I really like it.

Perhaps aftermarket units are superior. (They benefit from more direct competition and much quicker product cycle.) But with a few additions (Lockpick & uPAC-STS) the OEM setup is quite satisfactory for me and looks much better.

The next generation blows my mind. Real time, traffic sensitive routing and live updates to an inbuilt hard drive (or better yet - solid state storage) will obsolete everything that comes before it. Aftermarket units will be quicker to market and cheaper. But in-builts look so good. :highfive:

kevinscaddy01STS
06-05-09, 12:21 AM
With these cars, it's really simple. Don't buy it unless it has everthing you want. Period. Don't believe anyone who says different.

Doubters? Post your reasons. I won't have to refute them. Others will.

x2 :werd: