: I need more powar(hp that is)

Aron9000
06-03-09, 02:45 AM
I've been thinking about selling my 1991 Brougham D'Elegance. I absolutely love the styling of the car, and it has been rock solid reliable for the past 9 months/11,000 miles(114k on it now) I just wish it drove as nice as it looks.

The car has the 350 TBI V8, and IMO its balls slow(my last car was a LS1 Camaro). You can't beat the off the line torque, and it feels pretty responsive up to 30mph. After 40mph it doesn't matter if you give it 1/4 throttle or mash it, it gives about the same sluggish response.

The steering also drives me nuts with the huge amount of slop. I know the shocks were replaced at 100k, so it rides/handles nice, but I'm wondering if replacing all the bushings in the front end will make a difference. I am amazed at the amount of grip the car has though.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a LT1 Fleetwood, or maybe an LT1 Roadmaster. I know these cars will have the power I'm looking for, but will I still have the same issues with the steering/handling? Or do they drive a bit more modern?

Also, my car has a couple of annoying rattles in it. Do the newer cars have the same issues?

I guess I really need to drive an LT1 Fleetwood to decide if its worth it.

96Fleetwood
06-03-09, 07:53 AM
First off, these are not race cars. They were meant for the 65+ crowd. Quiet, comfortable, and classy.

Second.. it is a 90s GM car. Rattles are part of the pedigree.. haha. Mine is pretty quiet inside, but that is because I have gone through it and tried to eliminate all the rattles and squeaks.

However, if you are a bit off like myself.. you can take one of these land yachts and throw some money at it to make it look better, handle better, and be fairly quick for the size.

With the '94-96 Impala SS aftermarket support, you can make a '94-96 Fleetwood a monster.

Suspension was the first modification I did to mine and it handles VERY well for its size. My wife says it handles better than her M45.

I will always entertain selling my 1996 for the right price ;)

http://members.cox.net/cadillaclover/fleetwoodsign.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
06-03-09, 10:31 AM
trust me bro
youll never get LS1 performance out of that TBI
my N* cant even keep with my Z28

Aron9000
06-03-09, 11:58 AM
trust me bro
youll never get LS1 performance out of that TBI
my N* cant even keep with my Z28

I know, but some extra oomph would be nice. The LT1's ran low 15 second quarter miles, which is a lot better than the 17 second one my TBI car would run. There is no hopping up a TBI car unless you switch to a carb, change heads, camshaft, intake, etc. By that point you might as well drop in a built 383 or 400 IMO.

Elias, does your 96 still have all that on center slop(when it was stock), or did they make some changes on the newer cars?

CadillacSTS42005
06-03-09, 12:18 PM
if you come from modding LS1 then some basic elemental things still apply
more air more power open up the intake and remove any restrictions
onces you have more in gotta get more out, update those old hugely restrictive cats to some better high flowing ones as well as better piping and mufflers...
less weight faster acceleration and that thing theres alot a weight to ditch
higher octane more boost try running 93 premium
etc etc etc

as for free mods, not sure of any on that beast like there are on the LS1

sven914
06-03-09, 02:22 PM
If all else fails to make a 2.5 ton, luxury sedan, move at break neck speed... Nitrous!

And if you pull the AC compressor, you can put on a supercharger. :thumbsup:

96Fleetwood
06-03-09, 02:39 PM
No center slop on my 1996. The best thing I did with the suspension was rebuild the front end with the high end Moog products. All of these big cars wear those front end parts after 50-60K miles.

The next best suspension modification was the Hotchkis front and rear sways; they are expensive but well worth it. You must add some heavy duty control arms to take the abuse of the Hotchkis bars.. as I soon found out. I went with UMI for the control arms.

Then put some good springs/shocks on all four corners and you will have a well planted land yacht.

FYI, on the LT1 there is no need to remove the A/C compressor to install a supercharger. There are several kits out there that bolt right on!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-03-09, 03:49 PM
Aron, my car has little to no slop in the steering. For its age the car has held up very well. I had it on the alignment rack at school last month and every measurement was dead on, within .1 degrees of factory specs.

However, you will never get this car to move as fast as you want it. Yeah its slow, but like Elias said it was designed for a different generation, which is somehow the exact thing I like. :hmm:

Just get an LT1. There is always the FTS for sale on the first page of the forums.

90Brougham350
06-03-09, 06:49 PM
The powertrain from a 94-96 in the body of 90-92 would be the absolute perfect car. If the power is that important to you, then settle for the whale-body and plebeian interior of the 94-96. They're awesome cars, and I loved mine, but it lacked the pinache of the 90. I have a feeling you'd miss your 91 if you moved into a 94-96.

Brian

96Fleetwood
06-03-09, 07:21 PM
If the power is that important to you, then settle for the whale-body and plebeian interior of the 94-96.

Plebian?? Are you still angry you sold yours and got stuck with the FWD?

The older Broughams didn't have Heated seats, memory seating, or lumbar. I will take my 'plebian' interior and whale body over the archaic body and TBI motor anyday.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/ISSCA2007Small140.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-03-09, 11:42 PM
^ I'd take my car and save my kneecaps much pain and suffering. :)

sven914
06-03-09, 11:54 PM
^ That interior is cold and mechanical. Defiantly not inviting or something you look forward to looking at.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=375&pictureid=3926

This one at least gives off the impression of weeks of hard, old-world, hand craftsmanshift. Everything about the interior emanates a distinct elegance, that puts it above other GM cars.

96Fleetwood
06-04-09, 08:32 AM
To each their own...

I prefer 'cold and mechanical' over 'welcome to the '70s'.

90Brougham350
06-04-09, 08:51 PM
Plebian?? Are you still angry you sold yours and got stuck with the FWD?

The older Broughams didn't have Heated seats, memory seating, or lumbar. I will take my 'plebian' interior and whale body over the archaic body and TBI motor anyday.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/ISSCA2007Small140.jpg

Elias, you're right, there is still a bit of me that's angry both my RWD's have come and gone, but selling a car to pay off debt while I'm young is one of the smarter moves I've made. I'll agree on the heated seats, lumbar, and memory, but you have to admit, the 93-96's lack a certain charm and class the 90-92's had interior-wise.

Brian

http://90brougham350.smugmug.com/photos/258265873_LyfER-L.jpg

drmenard
06-04-09, 11:13 PM
I am a bit of a nut with these RWD caddys... I have a 81 sedan deville with a port fuel injected 472, roller cam and many other goodies.. I drive in the winter a 92 fleetwood brougham.. If I am going to the store or a trip on the highway I take my 95 brougham or my wifes 94 fleetwood... there is no comparison...the 94 and 95 are so much quieter.. and with the wider tires and rims it gives a better ride.... I love my tire melting 81, but if I'm going anywhere far, its the 95 fwb....And the 94 and 95 will give me better gas milage than the 92... not much , but a few mpg's....