: Electrical and a/c issues

palerider6218
06-02-09, 08:48 PM
Ok, my first problem is with a circuit, I have a pull on my battery and a circuit labeled ECS has a constant hot on it, I don't know what that circuit is and the dealership doesn't go back to 1980, big surprise. Any help would be great.

My second issue involves the A/C and heater. They run automatically when my car is running. It has the thermostat control on the dash and the regular A/C options, economy and such, which is in the off position, yet the a/c and heater still run, any way to turn it off, other than unhooking it?

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Model
1980 Cadillac Fleetwood
carbureted <sp?> 368

sven914
06-02-09, 09:49 PM
ESC stands for Electronic Spark Control. If you have good power in circuit, then you might be having a problem with the ground. Check for any loose or corroded ground straps.

The problem with your electronic climate control sounds like a wire is shorted to power. Get a service manual (I usually recommend the OEM factory book, but 1980 manuals are hard to come by, so a Chilton would do) and look up the wiring schematic for the ECC. You should be able to tell from the schematic what wires serve what function and which one would have to be shorted to cause your problem. A good manual (OEM) would even have symptom charts that will lead you to the exact cause and solution.