: Warping the Heads???

duck_tape187
06-02-09, 08:48 PM
my 99 deville needs headgaskets. i was talking to my friend who works in a garage and he said that sometimes the heads get warped from the heat and that they would have to be replaced. when i noticed the problem that my car was overheating i believe that the temp got up to around 260.

What are the chances of my heads needing to be replaced???

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Ranger
06-02-09, 09:15 PM
Slim. The Northstar was designed to run 50 miles with no coolant at 260 degrees with no damage. Your heads are most likely fine. Just be sure to rethread the bolt holes with Jakes studs, Norms inserts or Timeserts, in that order.

97EldoCoupe
06-02-09, 09:34 PM
Slim to none. I have never found a head out of spec yet. And we're talking 80+ engines. I know that I found a few with very minor indents from the fire ring on the cylinder head gaskets, but they still sealed nicely.

duck_tape187
06-02-09, 11:11 PM
thank you for that i feel better now. 97eldo your Jake right? the guy with the shop that makes the head stud kit?
i might be in contact with you soon about getting one of those kits.

97EldoCoupe
06-02-09, 11:13 PM
Yup that's me. Anytime you need them. I have a bunch of orders going out tomorrow.

duck_tape187
06-02-09, 11:28 PM
well thats good to know man. Glad someone steped up to correct GMs mistakes i hear that you make a real quality product and would be more then happy to put it in my car

97EldoCoupe
06-02-09, 11:33 PM
No sweat- anytime you're ready. The studs have been used on well over 100 engines (mine & stud kit customers combined) with only one known failure, and that was caused by a warped cylinder deck that was out 0.006". I believe that engine was in Tenessee. Always check the block and heads as a safe measure, just in case.