: Can Saab find a new home or should it just die from irrelevance?

orconn
06-02-09, 07:13 PM
I have tried to be optimistic about Saab finding a new home, or at least a new sugar Daddy to keep it a float. But I am afraid the oddball Swede has really become irrelevant. There has always been a place in my heart, although not in my garage, for the quirky Swedish car. But I really wonder what it has to offer a new owner that would justify a white knight showing up on the scene. But then when one realizes that Skoda is still alive and I quess well inside the VW womb, who knows maybe there is hope for SAAb.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-02-09, 07:33 PM
Stay afloat!! Saab is as irrelevant as Toyota is exciting!! Offbeat swede cars ftw!

dkozloski
06-02-09, 07:33 PM
As long as I can remember, SAABs either sounded weird, looked weird, or both. Maybe it's time to end it all gracefully.

MauiV
06-02-09, 08:01 PM
Real SAABs died when GM took over anyway.

eyekandyboats.inc
06-02-09, 08:07 PM
saabs are ugly. let them die!

LS1Mike
06-02-09, 08:46 PM
Die.

Jesda
06-02-09, 08:50 PM
I love Saabs, but its dead.

Playdrv4me
06-02-09, 10:05 PM
1 swede is QUITE enough. Volvo has alot going for it, Saab is a worthless shell of its former self.

Sandy
06-02-09, 10:51 PM
Saab has not Kept up anywhere near Volvo. Saabs are great cars, but their features, options, foundation, and style fail to ignite buyers interest, and especially to part with their money. I'd (sadly) would have to agree with the above coments. A peaceful death.

77CDV
06-02-09, 11:41 PM
Quirky cars that appealed to a very limited audience, mostly in New England. Never could understand the things myself, so really couldn't care less if Saab lives or dies.

Florian
06-03-09, 12:36 AM
my V4 Sonnet kicked major ass......

Long live the Swedes!

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-03-09, 12:59 AM
Sweet car Dave!! Was that a two stroke?

orconn
06-03-09, 01:02 AM
^^ I also have fond memories of a Saab 66 (?) that i drove alot while I was in East Africa. The car came eqipped with pipe frame seats that had canvas inserts that were attached to the fram with rope like a lawn chair. It was powered by a wingee dingee 2 cycle engine requiring the requisite oil to be added to its' gasoline. The car was a good 12 years old when we were using it, but performed extremely well. It was the vehicle of choice when ever we had to go any distance over actual roads ........ always selected over the Land Rovers and Jeeps that we could also use. The fact that it was still a vuiable automobile after over twelves years of use under East African conditions was real testament to the cars strength and endurance.

I also agree that the acquisition of Saab by GM spelled the end of the mark's useful uniqueness which was its' only justification.

thebigjimsho
06-03-09, 01:45 AM
As someone who spent his early years in a Saab 99, I have a soft spot for them even though I've never really desired to own one. My father used to rallye his 99. I'll always remember the buckle-less seat belts that locked into alligator jaws and the ignition on the floor.

Saabs have a deep and storied history that I doubt will ever be left to die. Even if they don't produce cars for a short time, someone will buy Saab and if they can recapture the roots that made Saabs so desirable in the first place, Saab will stick around.

Aron9000
06-03-09, 02:29 AM
Saab died when they quit making hatchbacks. I'd say that decision by GM management ranks right up there with the Cimmaron. Nobody else was making hatchbacks at that time, so Saab pretty much had that small niche to itself. IMO the hatchbacks really defined Saab, and was the biggest reason they were so quirky and unique.

Florian
06-03-09, 10:51 AM
Sweet car Dave!! Was that a two stroke?

negative it was a '71...

F

The Tony Show
06-03-09, 11:43 AM
I read that quirky supercar builder Christian Koenigsegg was looking to buy Saab.

http://jalopnik.com/5272912/koenigsegg-wants-to-buy-saab

MauiV
06-03-09, 12:57 PM
I like that idea. A buddy of mine only drives Saabs and he much prefers the pre-GM models.

thebigjimsho
06-03-09, 03:15 PM
Yeah, GM did drive Saab into the ground. I would love to see Koenigsegg take over Saab. I'm sure he'd be right on in recreating the brand. Seems like he knows what he's doing when seeing the Koenigsegg in action...

billc83
06-04-09, 12:44 AM
I never understood what GM was doing with Saab. It didn't fit into their hierarchy (does Saab ownership convey more status than an Oldsmobile? A Buick? A Cadillac?). GM didn't understand Saab's customer base.

Hopefully, Saab will live on as an independent or get picked up by someone with deep pockets who will right the company. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Playdrv4me
06-04-09, 03:36 AM
I never understood what GM was doing with Saab. It didn't fit into their hierarchy (does Saab ownership convey more status than an Oldsmobile? A Buick? A Cadillac?). GM didn't understand Saab's customer base.

Hopefully, Saab will live on as an independent or get picked up by someone with deep pockets who will right the company. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

If the Koenigsegg thing is for real, then that is the ONLY possible hope of resurrection for Saab. Chinese, Indian or otherwise European ownership would be fairly futile at this point.

trukk
06-09-09, 03:23 PM
my V4 Sonnet kicked major ass......

Long live the Swedes!

F

As someone who spent his early years in a Saab 99, I have a soft spot for them even though I've never really desired to own one. My father used to rallye his 99. I'll always remember the buckle-less seat belts that locked into alligator jaws and the ignition on the floor.

Saabs have a deep and storied history that I doubt will ever be left to die. Even if they don't produce cars for a short time, someone will buy Saab and if they can recapture the roots that made Saabs so desirable in the first place, Saab will stick around.

My first car was a '79 900 EMS. It was a fun little car, and pretty advanced for it's time (4 wheel disk brakes, fuel injected, etc.). I almost bought a mid 70's 99turbo first, but the deal fell through. I always loved the 99's and the first gen 900's. I learned a lot about wrenching on that car, because it sure had it's issues.

If someone does buy it, and attempt to resurect, they need to go back to the roots. Bubble shapped hatchbacks, with peppy 2.0 turbocharged engines, simple and rugged. I think there would be a market for that (look at the older homely WRX.)

I read somewhere, that the sweedish gov't was looking to finance something.

-Chris

RightTurn
06-10-09, 09:25 AM
If someone does buy it, and attempt to resurect, they need to go back to the roots. Bubble shapped hatchbacks, with peppy 2.0 turbocharged engines, simple and rugged. I think there would be a market for that (look at the older homely WRX.)
-Chris

Agree. Those old Saabs are teh shizz.

The Tony Show
06-11-09, 06:00 PM
Looks like Koenigsegg is buying Saab.

Swedish TV is reporting Koenigsegg and a group of Swedish investors have won, signing a letter of intent to buy Saab, the bankrupt Swedish brand, from GM. Expect to see new designs merging jets, the Swedish Chef and a Cuisinart.

http://jalopnik.com/5287065/report-koenigsegg-to-buy-saab

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-09, 07:52 PM
I saw that too, Tony. Koenigsegg was chosen by GM as the brand that they wanted most to buy Saab.

Rodya234
06-11-09, 09:36 PM
I'm waiting for a 1018hp Saab 9-3 now. :lildevil:

gary88
06-14-09, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to see a Saab with dihedral synchro-helix doors.

ejguillot
06-16-09, 10:04 AM
It's looking more likely that the sale to Koenigsegg will happen:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526561,00.html

Good! Nice to see that Saab has a shot at relevance now.