: Is auto salvage the next big growth industry?

orconn
06-02-09, 05:36 PM
With GM's suppliers getting the shaft and other disruptions in the flow of replacement parts for GM cars ...... does this bode well for the auto salvage yards of America?

Jesda
06-02-09, 05:42 PM
Lesser goods thrive in weak economies. Always good to be in the junk business.

LS1Mike
06-02-09, 06:00 PM
Depends on what you are looking for. GM (and most other companies) share sensors, and various other parts across models. So if you are looking for body or interior stuff the wrecking yard is the way to go! It is hard to find late model stuff in the yards even around a big city like Seattle. They get parted quick or rebuilt.
Now stuff from the 90's or even my 85 Lebaron. They love the junk yard!

dkozloski
06-02-09, 06:36 PM
There are always the guys behind the pool hall that take parts orders for next day delivery.

orconn
06-02-09, 06:54 PM
There are always the guys behind the pool hall that take parts orders for next day delivery.

I know about that side of the business, having contributed a 1986 Tunderbird Turbo, in 1996, to their ongoing enterprise. Actually they did my a favor by relieving me of the necessity of selling it. Interestingly, there was a '95 "S" Class, a 95 BMW "7" Series and a '96 Deville parked right with thee Thunderbird the night it was taken. Kind of tells you something!

dkozloski
06-02-09, 10:12 PM
For years the #1 stolen cars were Oldsmobiles.

77CDV
06-02-09, 10:59 PM
I understand GM is parting out some unsold 2008 models to keep building the 2009s.

Aron9000
06-03-09, 02:03 AM
My uncle owns a big rig bone yard. I know for a fact that the recession has hit him hard. People buying fewer goods means less trucks on the road, thus less business for him. He's still making money, but not like in years past. The drastic drop in metal prices has really hurt him as well.

Just rambling here, but absolutely love his late 90's medium duty International dump truck. At one time it was a box truck with a blown motor. He didn't need a box truck, so he took it off and put the bed/dump hydrolics on it from a truck that had been hit in the front. He found a good motor to put in it from another wrecked truck. He then replaced the worn out seat from another truck, got some nice aluminum wheels/tires from another truck, had his buddy paint it, and it looks like a brand new truck, said it cost him all of about $3,000.

I know I'm kind of off topic here, but I see auto bone yards making some bank during this recession. Will there be more people getting into the business? I don't think so, but I see the existing junk yards getting busier.