: Calculating optimal speaker enclosure size

K@ddiD@ddi
06-02-09, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know how to calculate the size a speaker box needs to be to get the best performance out of the speakers? I have two 12" Infinity's and I want to use them in my fiberglass project that im building but before I get too deep in it I want to make sure that its going to do what I want it to do, please let me know if you have any ideas:cool2:

nicktime
06-02-09, 05:29 PM
As far as volume, that will depend on ported or sealed enclosures. Sealed can be made smaller and tightens up the bass response. The easiest way is to find the documentation online for the speakers in question. They will have recommended sizes already as well as recommended sizes and layout. I am in the process of building an enclosure right now. I have a little less room where you are looking to place them, so I built an enclosure to lift the subs off the trunk floor a little bit (access to spare) while acting as an amp rack and replacement for the trim panel in back.

Anyway, I have 2 Rockford 12" subs for the same type of setup. Each one shows a sealed 1 cu. ft. volume in my particular application, but the range goes as low as 0.7 cu. ft. and as high as 1.8 cu. ft. The difference in sizes will move the response curve slightly, but the smaller size provides for quicker/more accurate response. The "optimum" sealed enclosure is about 1.0 cu. ft., which I'm just under on.

still_walkin
06-26-09, 10:43 PM
Goto the12volt.com they have a speaker box calculator there you can figure out the volume. Another way is to use packaging peanuts to calculate your volume for your custom box. So make your custom box and fill it with them and if the volume is right the peanuts will not overfill