: storage issues

lesinfamous
06-02-09, 03:35 AM
Well i finally decided to move my 75' fleetwood series 75 out of indoor storage in NY and am going to leave it in an outdoor garage in NJ. Now, my main issue is that although it already has a considerable amount of rust, i want to keep it from getting worse. I will buy a 5 layer, breatheable car cover from ebay when it leaves storage.

1. If i leave it outside with a car cover, am i putting my caddy at risk to rust even if im not going to drive it?

2. Is a 5 layer car cover sufficient, should i get an enclosed carport, or are car ports over rated?

thefleetwoodguy
06-02-09, 08:12 AM
be sure its parked on pavement, not on the
bare ground, thats a biggy

csbuckn
06-02-09, 09:41 AM
I've never had a cover but I would check on it every so often to make sure no moisture builds up under the cover, especially on the vinyl top.

robb257731
06-02-09, 10:23 AM
That's a good question re: the car cover. I don't have a garage or a carport (and building one is not an option on my lot), and I was wondering if I should be covering my car up when I'm not using it. I have a daily driver and take my 91 out on weekends. The car does get dirty while it sits just from crap floating around in the air, and I have thought about getting a cover, but then again, I've heard that keeping a car covered can be worse than leaving it open to the elements.

What's the general opinion on keeping them covered? I have a paved driveway and live in an area that can get a fair bit of snow in the winter.

Sweetness224
06-02-09, 11:15 AM
Rob, I would only cover your car/cars if they are clean. Any dirt you may have on them from driving them, etc will act as sand paper and any sliding of the car cover when it goes on and off will scratch your paint. So my advice is that the daily driver really isnt worth being covered but your casual driver might be a good idea IF you clean it off before you cover it up and make sure to keep the car cover in a clean place when you take it off.

lesinfamous
06-02-09, 02:27 PM
Is gravel good enough compared to a paved road?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-02-09, 02:41 PM
Do what Sweetness said. Be sure when you put the car cover on it the car is clean and waxed. Make sure it is on there tightly or it will whip around in the wind and scratch the car. I would not recommend leaving a cover on in the winter because the winds are much more intense (at least around here) and it can cause more damage to the car to have the cover on than just a good, heavy coat of wax.

Also, thefleetwoodguy is correct, have it parked on pavement. A cover will never be as effective as an sealed garage because the car will still get moist due to dew forming overnight. If you live in a rural area (farm country) I would highly recommend you keep it in a garage as much as possible. My grandparents live out in farm country and you can easily tell the cars and tractors that are parked outside compared to the ones parked in a garage.

To answer your question, a cover will work just as well as a carport and costs a lot less.

robb257731
06-03-09, 12:26 AM
Rob, I would only cover your car/cars if they are clean. Any dirt you may have on them from driving them, etc will act as sand paper and any sliding of the car cover when it goes on and off will scratch your paint. So my advice is that the daily driver really isnt worth being covered but your casual driver might be a good idea IF you clean it off before you cover it up and make sure to keep the car cover in a clean place when you take it off.

I agree Sweetness...the daily driver isn't worth covering...I meant to say that because I have a daily driver, the 91 is only used on weekends and I wondered if I should keep it covered. The 91 had a new vinyl top put on a couple of years ago before I bought it, so I was thinking that keeping it covered in winter might be a good idea. Then again my 92 has a vinyl top that's never been covered and it's fine.

brougham
06-03-09, 07:40 PM
It would be better to find an indoor place to store it. If its outdoors a cover is better then nothing. A carport is better but then you'd have to build one.

robb257731
06-05-09, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I would build one, but I don't have enough room between the side of my house and the property line.