: What type of OBDII reader does the STS need?

amgqmp1
06-01-09, 06:03 PM
I have a feeling that I need one that supports CAN-BUS (or another similar acronym). Can anyone confirm what type of OBDII scanner(s) work with the 05+ STS?

BaTu
06-01-09, 06:25 PM
Your car is CAN-bus for sure and, if I can offer MY Personal suggestion for the very beat one to invest in, I'd say, look at the AutoEnginuity.

It does Much More than the, less expensive, ones do. You have to be sure you're comparing Apples-to-Apples when you look at them all. Some just read the basic codes, some read all systems (trans/body/abs/traction/ etc), some can be used to modify settings for diagnosis purposes (cylinder contribution etc). The AutoEnginuity does it ALL!

It's a HUGELY complex issue to find just what a particular tool will, and won't, do for you. For the long-run I think this is the one to get (not cheap though even though YOU'RE supplying the LapTop)

EChas3
06-01-09, 07:47 PM
Does it do all the Tech II functions?

BaTu
06-01-09, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure it does them All.... But think it's as close to a Tech-II as you can come. Call 'em, they'll tell ya ;)

I bought the "Big-3" service so it does the Caddy, the wifes PT Cruiser, and my F350 diesel (it even "buzz-tests" the injectors on it)

I did a lot of research before I decided on it, and as I said Really alot to look into, but am confident I made the right choice :)

amgqmp1
06-04-09, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the confirmation of CAN-bus, and the recommendation for a scanner that works. I'm a pretty technical fella, so, the more info/control is often the better to me... :)

intravino
06-06-09, 11:27 AM
Check out this OBD2 CAN Scanner. (http://www.carplugs.com/obd2usb.html).

You need a desktop computer or a laptop. They have also a bluetooth version.

BaTu
06-06-09, 02:35 PM
If you're going to go with a cheap one like that, here's a better deal -> http://obddiagnostics.com/order.html

Keep in mind though, neither will give you the Majority of the codes your car will produce....

doowap57
06-06-09, 06:36 PM
Where is the OBD port on the 05 STS,V8 not -V Northstar ? :helpless: