: Blower wont turn off, 1979 deville

caddydave2001
05-31-09, 02:11 PM
Hey y'all.

Anyone know what the problem is when the Blower wont turn off? When I turn the car off, and the ac is off, the blower continues to run, and so far, has run for at least 30-45 mins after shutoff. If I put the lever on the AC settings (low, med, high) the generator light lights up, but the blower does turn off.

At the moment, I unplugged the blower under the hood, so it wont continue to run.

ANyone know what might fix this? Or what the issue is? I recently had the carb rebuilt, and some vac lines replaced, but I dont think this is connected, could it?

77CDV
05-31-09, 03:29 PM
Power for the blower motor is supposed to be tied into the ignition switch, with a further dependency on a temperature sensor at the forward right-side top of the engine block. From the symptoms you describe, I suspect a short in the blower relay. Remove it, and then reconnect the blower motor. With the relay out, the blower should not operate under any circumstance. If it does, it's grounding outside its normal circuit path, which will require expert electrical diagnosis.

Craig

drmenard
05-31-09, 08:26 PM
I have seen this before... It was a shorted diode in the alternator... to check if this is it.. disconnect the big single wire that goes to the battery.. if that stops it get another alternator..

caddydave2001
06-01-09, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. Ill have my mechanic look for those issues. Weird thing is that this morning, the battery was completely dead. I drove it yesterday, with the blower disconnected (a black plug) and was fine, aside from a collant leak that also started at the same time. So perhaps, the alternator went bad and when I drove it, it was running off the battery, and thats why its dead?

I also thought maybe because I disconnected what looks like the neg plug for the blower, was that if the positive one being still hooked up, it drained the battery.

Any thoughts with the battery compeltely dead this morning?

77CDV
06-01-09, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a bad alternator.

drmenard
06-01-09, 05:20 PM
These things are all pointing at the alternator...

caddydave2001
06-04-09, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys. I havent heard anything back yet from my mechanic. Ill update what the issue was when I find out.

caddydave2001
06-06-09, 04:28 PM
Well, looks like it was the alternator, which in turn caused the issue with the blower relay. Thanks again. My Phaeton is back on the road! woohoo!

77CDV
06-06-09, 04:40 PM
Happy motoring! :)

Craig