: Magnetic Ride Control

jamesbalzer
05-31-09, 10:42 AM
I have a 2005 STS4 V8 1SG. I have the original factory invoice on the car which lists "Magnetic Ride Control" and this is one of the features I wanted. Prior to buying the car, I read a bunch of reviews that discussed MRC and how great it is. Those reviews also discussed the ability to change from "Touring" to "Performance" modes. My owners manual lists nothing of these two settings; It does briefly discuss MRC but nothing on changing it's setting. Does the MRC adjust automatically on 2005's or am I missing something? I have toggled through the control screens in the Navigation unit and can't find anything!

BaTu
05-31-09, 11:33 AM
It's been a while since I did it but, I think if you go to the nav screen and get into "Personal Settings" you have the choice between a firm (sport) and soft (touring) shock response.

Poke around abit with the settings, you can have the car set-up for driver 1 & driver 2 differently as well as all the seat/mirror positions and radio stations etc.

It's pretty cool... ;)

caddycraig80
05-31-09, 01:01 PM
just hit config, and the settings should be on the lower right of the nav screen at least they are on mine

dkozloski
05-31-09, 01:44 PM
There has been a firmware change along the way that relocates the "touring/performance" settings in the menus. You have to scroll down one step in the original setup in "personal settings".

EChas3
05-31-09, 03:13 PM
It does adapt to your driving. You may not notice much difference unless you tackle some 'twisties'. In performance situations the Performance setting shines.

Get the Nav upgrade. It makes this easy to change on the fly, improves Bluetooth, Voice Recognition and may be more reliable in other ways, too.

jamesbalzer
05-31-09, 11:00 PM
Bear with me as I am still learning this car; What Nav Upgrade?

jamesbalzer
05-31-09, 11:08 PM
Well look at that! "Scroll down" I never noticed before. Very cool; all kinds of new choices! Thanks!

R1chard
05-31-09, 11:47 PM
It does adapt to your driving. You may not notice much difference unless you tackle some 'twisties'. In performance situations the Performance setting shines.

Get the Nav upgrade. It makes this easy to change on the fly, improves Bluetooth, Voice Recognition and may be more reliable in other ways, too.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but, EChas3 do you know how to check to see if you have the upgraded NAV software or not?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

stevenriz
06-01-09, 08:11 AM
good information. I'd like to know how we can tell if we have the NAV upgrade... Would the dealer know?

dkozloski
06-01-09, 04:53 PM
With the firmware upgrade the suspension settings are on top and you don't have to scroll. My dealership won't do the upgrade for me because they say I have to order the programming disks but the parts guys say that they are not for sale to individuals. I'm screwed.

stevenriz
06-01-09, 06:50 PM
that tells me I don't have the upgrade. I wish I could get it. Blue Tooth stinks in my car and I wonder if that upgrade will fix the echoing sound.

EChas3
06-01-09, 07:00 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread but, EChas3 do you know how to check to see if you have the upgraded NAV software or not?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Check out my May 20, 2009 post in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/169519-bluetooth-google-htc-dream-g1.html

Koz - I've read your disdain with your dealer. Cadillac only lets a service department order one Nav System Upgrade Disk Set before charging big bucks. We can't get the upgrade disks but the service department can. If you can get past the service writer that thinks you're talking about Nav disks, you might be able to get this upgrade. I did it by harping on Bluetooth connectivity being unreliable. Polite persistence can work! :bouncy:

EChas3
06-01-09, 07:02 PM
that tells me I don't have the upgrade. I wish I could get it. Blue Tooth stinks in my car and I wonder if that upgrade will fix the echoing sound.

If you're referring to your cell caller hearing echos, turn down your volume a bit while using the phone. It improved it a lot for me.

mike sts
06-01-09, 08:58 PM
another hint about bluetooth if your trying voice dialing talk to the car like a robot, seriously the voice recognition has trouble picking up dialecs. You will sound like a idiot but it will work

EChas3
06-01-09, 09:46 PM
If you're referring to your cell caller hearing echos, turn down your volume a bit while using the phone. It improved it a lot for me.

In case I was unclear, I meant to adjust the volume control lower while using the phone. I did not mean to speak more softly.

dkozloski
06-02-09, 03:10 PM
Check out my May 20, 2009 post in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/169519-bluetooth-google-htc-dream-g1.html

Koz - I've read your disdain with your dealer. Cadillac only lets a service department order one Nav System Upgrade Disk Set before charging big bucks. We can't get the upgrade disks but the service department can. If you can get past the service writer that thinks you're talking about Nav disks, you might be able to get this upgrade. I did it by harping on Bluetooth connectivity being unreliable. Polite persistence can work! :bouncy:The service write was not talking about Nav Disks. He said I have to order the firmware upgrade disks but the parts department said I couldn't have them. I've mentioned this several times and always get the same response.

EChas3
06-02-09, 05:44 PM
There must be bozo's on that bus!

dkozloski
06-03-09, 01:49 PM
There must be bozo's on that bus!
I'm stuck with a lousy dealer just like the guy and the crooked card game. It's the only game in town. The dealer 350 miles away is even worse.

EChas3
06-03-09, 09:22 PM
Feel like a scenic drive? Come visit Saukville, Wisconsin. I've got a dealer that is doing everthing they can to survive.

We've got a couple nice brewpubs and know of good single-malt scotch.

Mio
01-04-14, 12:23 PM
Can I go non OEM for my shocks? I have to replace mine on a 2006 sts v8 with magnetic ride control.

EChas3
01-05-14, 06:23 PM
Some extended warranties require aftermarket and I think it was Chris Heath at Rippy's that once sourced them for a member. I think I'd go ahead and spend the money for the real deal. My originals are OK at 90,000 miles, so if I get close to that, the cost per mile is still infinitesimal.

----------

Are you sure yours are leaking excessively and not just riding stiffer than you expect?

turnne
01-06-14, 08:25 AM
Some extended warranties require aftermarket and I think it was Chris Heath at Rippy's that once sourced them for a member. I think I'd go ahead and spend the money for the real deal. My originals are OK at 90,000 miles, so if I get close to that, the cost per mile is still infinitesimal.

----------

Are you sure yours are leaking excessively and not just riding stiffer than you expect?

as I have said before many times

cars with low resale value and high repair costs dont live a long life......kind of like a dog chasing cars..LOL

if there is an aftermarket solution,as with the old body style, it will likely prove popular

If not...then many cars will likely remain unrepaired

Cost per mile really means nothing....its 99% about cost to repair and the value of what that repair is going into

lets be clear...this is not a 20K or even a 15K car...in fact depending on the mileage the car is probably worth less than 10K

Warren

EChas3
01-06-14, 09:25 PM
Not cost per mile? Thanks for proving the fallacy of your argument.

turnne
01-07-14, 08:23 AM
Not cost per mile? Thanks for proving the fallacy of your argument.
thanks for catching a typo

The value of these cars vs the cost to repair is a bad equation on the possibility of repair

As much as you would like it to not be so...the classified ads prove my point

And really...why didnt you fix your HG that failed?....since "net cost" per mile would have been low?

I always find it quite interesting that you continually make excuses for the car....why the voice activation, bluetooth and Nav are "not that bad"

seriously?....the next time you make one of those statements you should use 2-3 other examples of how these systems compare to other cars

Warren