: Northstar Engine belt

tman2093
05-31-09, 06:31 AM
Removed a squealing Delco belt from my cadillac. REplaced it with a Dayco belt, but the dayco was noticibly shorter, I figured it was so due to stretching, but i couldnt install it. It was about half an inch too short.

I got a napa brand belt (says gates on the package by the barcode) and it was actually a little bigger than the belt that came off the car, which i felt was too tight on it anyway.

Be warned, Dayco belts may be too short, Napa has the best belt, and it was even cheaper than Dayco, at only 18 dollars.

jl852269
02-11-10, 01:03 PM
My 1996 Deville just lost a lower pully bracket. The mechanic could not understand why the bracket was part of the engine block. He said we would have to replace the entire block - thus entire engine to repair this. His solution was to buy a shorter belt and by pass the lower pully altogether. Sure beat a new engine. How can this be?? How can a belt pully bracket be part of the engine block?? Will this shorter belt with no lower pully bracket work out in the long run?? It is running good for now.. Any opinions out there???

Submariner409
02-11-10, 11:05 PM
This is in the wrong Forum. This belongs in the Deville or Northstar Performance threads.

"Lower pulley" - which one - crankshaft pulley, A/C clutch pulley, idler, tensioner ??????

......and NONE of those require block replacement........

Ranger
02-12-10, 04:15 PM
Moved

cl1986
02-12-10, 06:54 PM
dacyo makes junk anyway. didn it happen to be half price of the other one? We went through all kinds of belts on our sleds, the dayco uses cheap rubber compounds, dont last 1/3 of a normal belt.

While my engine was out, i noticed a gatorback belt on the sls motor......stole that, absolutly no squeals or noise at all, i used to have some AC and alt noise before with the stock belt.