: A Big Tech Problem For The Master tech's Or whoever wants to try

93eldodave
05-31-09, 01:08 AM
In 1990 i went to work as a service tech at a large dealership , So my first job after i got all my tools and equiptment in place was a 1989 Geo Storm with a pile of problems and by the way everyone else has spent several hours trying to figure the prob out.. so they pushed it into my stall and i went to work .. Here we go, start the car and all idiot lites were on and none of the gauges would work , no t/signals , lets put it this way almost nothing electrial inside the car would work.. i got my fluke out and went to work, this was about 830am and after lunch i prayed i had solved it ...

I want all of the smart ones(and any one else who wants a shot) to give there take on what was wrong.. and in a couple days i'll post the fix.. so get with it and start posting your guesses..And yes it; an open book quizz,, if you want to call it that..

orconn
05-31-09, 01:20 AM
There was a crack in the ignition switch cylinder.

Aron9000
05-31-09, 02:54 AM
Its brain went bad(that's what grandpa said when his fuel injected olds started running bad and they replaced the ECU)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-31-09, 11:12 PM
Its a Geo, there's your problem. Solution, R+R driver into new car.

billc83
05-31-09, 11:21 PM
I'm going to say the gas tank was near empty.

93eldodave
05-31-09, 11:30 PM
There was a crack in the ignition switch cylinder.

No! but your close , somewhere between the front and rear bumper..lol

93eldodave
05-31-09, 11:33 PM
Comeon now this is a serious tech question , i knoe some of you wouldnt own a geo but for training a car is a car .. and the senerio really did happen , So keep guessing or really try to solve the issue at hand..

billc83
05-31-09, 11:41 PM
Just flipping you s&%# Eldodave, I have no clue. BUT, I figured with the way you've set up the scenario it had to be something ridiculously simple...hence my post.

I must have read humor where there was none.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-01-09, 03:08 AM
Dirty battery posts or a bad ground can easily cause electrical nightmares. That would be my honest answer.

Playdrv4me
06-01-09, 05:04 AM
How complex can the electrical system on that shit-pile actually be?

Bad battery, bad alternator, bad ground, bad ECU or a loose or corroded connection are my guesses.

Somehow I have a feeling this is going to be something like "rat chewed through ECU cable" or something.

Krashed989
06-01-09, 06:30 AM
The owner put an aftermarket head unit in it and tapped into the wiring harness in the dashboard, not knowing what they were doing?

C&C
06-01-09, 06:59 AM
My first thought was bad ground (with backflow symptoms lighting up the dash lights).

fierodough
06-01-09, 11:50 AM
My first thought was bad ground (with backflow symptoms lighting up the dash lights).

That is my guess as well.

main ground could be shot and the skimpy little chassis ground was the only thing left.

iowasevillests
06-01-09, 02:13 PM
I'm going to say one of the main fuses was blown.

Eric Kahn
06-01-09, 03:18 PM
Lost the ground on the dash panel, my corvette did that every time it lost the ground on the dash panel, I would then pound on the dash and the lights would go off and the gauges came back, I did not have the 400 needed to fixe the ground problem

dkozloski
06-01-09, 03:31 PM
The smoke stack was out of line with the ash pit and the flue wouldn't draw.

Playdrv4me
06-01-09, 04:29 PM
The smoke stack was out of line with the ash pit and the flue wouldn't draw.

:koz:

MauiV
06-01-09, 08:44 PM
Cable from the alt to the batt disconnected/broke/improper size????????

Im pretty sure the fix for any Geo problem is a lit rag to the gas tank.

My Jeep wouldnt hold idle at startup, but would fire up every time. I replaced about 3 sensors, cleaned the throddle body, tested the batt and the alt, distributor blah blah blah. Ended up being the battery, which test fine while installed but stone dead once out of the Jeep.

Fought these gremlins for a couple months

Red_October_7000
06-02-09, 10:26 PM
Bad ground or short to ground somewhere is my first thought. That's what usually causes problems like that, that make no sense and are otherwise intractable.