: Wet floor. Where's the water coming from?

robb257731
05-30-09, 09:44 PM
About a month ago I discovered wet carpet on the passenger side of my 1992 Brougham D'Elegance. It had been raining, but there hadn't been anyone in the car, so it wasn't from a passenger's shoes. I had the car put up on a hoist, and there were no visible holes in the floor. Where would this water be coming from? Is the windshield leaking? How would I fix that?

Robin Banx
05-30-09, 10:05 PM
Hi Rob.... I had that very problem with my 81 sedan deville. It was caused by the r. w/s post having rotted out at the top and at the cowl underneath the vinyl roof. The car came from Farmingdale in NY via Ontario so it had plenty of exposure to salt. I am repairing all the roof seams in it now. Not an easy or cheap repair.

Cheers.......R. B.

77CDV
05-30-09, 10:33 PM
Best suggestion is to sit in the car while someone is spraying water over it. Then you can see where the water runs in.

Highway Star
05-31-09, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure what configuration the heater/fan box is on your '92, but if it's the same or similar to the '77-'79 models, it could be a clogged or stuck drain flap on your fan housing. If you notice, the passenger side cowl has a vent for pulling fresh air into the car (just under the wiper). Just below this is the plastic-like housing that contains the heater/ac fan assembly (and heater core etc.). This housing has a rectangular rubber flap that is supposed to allow water to drain out (rainwater or car-washing water that enters the cowl vent). If it's clogged, or stuck, excess water can backup into the interior (usually on RH front floormat).

Under the hood (on passenger side), check between the fan housing and wheelwell liner to locate the rubber flap that's attached to the lower fan housing area. If so, reach down and see if you can free it (assuming it is stuck). If the flap isn't stuck, you may have to remove the cowl screen and clean out the fan housing (debris blocking the rubber flap).

This doesn't mean you may not have some other problem causing the leak, but it is something that should be checked just in case. Also, I'm assuming your heater-box is similar to the '77-'79 models.

faxafoli
05-31-09, 05:50 AM
i had that proplem to with my 83 deville. the engine computer brain was located underneath the dashboard passengerside and filled with water:(
the leak was somewhere under the windshield on the far right side there was a rust hole