: 2004 SRX with Clicking noise when I accelerate

wraunch
05-30-09, 01:05 PM
I have a 2004 SRX V8 AWD. Recently when I stop at a stop light I experience a clicking noise when I take off afterwards. What could cause this? I can feel the clicking in the gas pedal also, it's like the truck is loosing traction or missing gears.

JD2004
05-30-09, 02:17 PM
search this forum for threads on this. Sounds like it`s the common problem with the transfercase chain. I`ve got the same noise on my 04 AWD N*. You should be able to find a used transfercase on car-part.com that will save you major $ compared to a new one.

wraunch
05-31-09, 10:57 PM
How hard is the transfer case to change out?

JD2004
06-02-09, 04:21 PM
From what I`ve read on this forum, and based on looking underneath the car, it should not be that difficult. I guess the hard part is getting the exhaust out of the way. The shafts going to and from the the transfercase has torx-bolts. The electrical connectors should easily come on and off. Good luck!

Sooty
07-24-09, 03:52 PM
If it's the transfer case it's a know defect of the Borg Warner Transfer Case. Take to the dealer call the district manager and they will work something out with you. They detuned the 2004 SRX because of the Borg Warner transfer case being built with high lash between gears. All this did was extended the transfer case eventual failure into the future. Just arm yourself with the info and be persistent. Borg Warner should replace free of charge.

wraunch
11-24-09, 01:13 PM
Has anyone had luck getting Borg to cover the case? How much is the labor for this? Are there any articles or any research other than threads from here that would help my case (no pun intended)?

wraunch
12-28-09, 02:40 PM
HELP PLEASE!!!!

Ok so I took it to the dealer and yep, the transfer case needs to be replaced. The dealer basically told me tough and said we'll need $2200 to fix it. I showed them the threads from this and various other sites discussing this issue and how BorgWarner has covered it and they said that sounds good we'd be glad to fix it and let you deal with BW and get reimbursed. What can I do? Obviously try another dealer but what else? I talked to numerous independent shops in the area and they too want $2200 to fix it. I emailed BW and I'm sure that will get me nowhere. I don't have $2200 to drop on this and I'm sure if I get one from a salvage yard I'm just going to end up paying to have it fixed again later. Also, does anyone have the part # for the whole transfer case assembly? The dealer won't give it to me. Thanks guys.

wraunch
12-29-09, 08:45 AM
Can anyone confirm the part# for the transfer case? I found it on GMpartsdirect.com and it is listed as part# 19132968. Is that correct? Has anyone ordered from them before? If it is the wrong part how difficult are returns?

wraunch
01-19-10, 01:23 PM
Good news! I called back to the dealership and let them know how pissed I was with how I was treated and now magically they are getting GM to cover the full $2200 replacement of my transfer case under goodwill. All I had to do was agree to do some of the other routine maintenance that was needed: rear axle seal, oil change, differential service. So if you have this issue keep trying, GM will cover it!

Northern SRX
01-20-10, 08:16 AM
Good news! I called back to the dealership and let them know how pissed I was with how I was treated and now magically they are getting GM to cover the full $2200 replacement of my transfer case under goodwill. All I had to do was agree to do some of the other routine maintenance that was needed: rear axle seal, oil change, differential service. So if you have this issue keep trying, GM will cover it!

Great news - persistence pays off! :thumbsup:

smithb
01-20-10, 09:33 AM
Hmmmmmmm... sounds fishy. I've never heard of GM requiring you to get routine maintenance at a dealer in exchange for a needed repair. Especially for service that isn't due until 100k miles (I'm assuming you have less than that). I think the dealer is pulling something. Mine is in right now getting this problem fixed, and they said they were just replacing 2 sprockets and the chain. This clearly is cheaper/easier than replacing the entire transfer case. I hope the service they are doing to my vehicle is sufficient (although at 80k miles, I won't have it too much longer to worry about it). I hope they aren't taking the cheaper route (while giving you the impression that it costs more) and overcharging you for the maintenance. Sorry I am cynical. I'm sure you are coming out ahead, but I wonder if they are still coming out ahead too.

wraunch
01-20-10, 10:06 AM
Oh they absolutely are coming out ahead. But it's a win-win. They get reimbursed from GM and I get my transfer case replaced. They are replacing the whole assembly. I saw a part list and talked to the tech that is doing the work.

Snej
11-05-10, 05:36 PM
I have the same problem and though it is much much later now than when the problem originally started a year to a year-and-a-half ago (little by little when the SRX was around 80,000 miles).

My car is now at around 120k miles. The immediate answer from GM (after making a case number) has been that it is caused by wear and tear.

That conclusion came without opening the case ... and cost $110.

I completely understand that a car needs repair and mine have had plenty but this is too easy rejected.

After reading about lots of others having the same issue I dont buy that excuse. The indication clearly points towards a fault part that causes the problem.

The dealer Renick in Fullerton, CA wants $3397 for changing the entire transfer case. Which is ridiculous much more than the $150 it will cost to buy the faulty chain online!! (... though I understand that they might have certain repair procedures they have to follow)

This particular repair feels like a pure cash cow for GM and the dealers.

I also think it is dangerous for GM/Cadillac to ignore the safety issue in this! You cannot accelerate quickly enough when crossing a street after waiting position.

In any case ... those of us who have the problem are forced to do something about it and then next time consider buying a different brand.

Question for the forum is. What specific Cadillac tools are needed to get the exhaust out of the way if I hand over the repair to someone else ... or do it myself? I am reading that this is the single hardest part of the repair.