: Anyone Know about Powerglides ?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-15-04, 08:36 PM
64 Impala SS 327

Neibor took it to orlando from tampa today , went down a exit ramp and lost all gears . Looked at it at 5 today , linkage is fine and has plenty of ATF that smells just fine with no leakage. Revved the engine a little more while looking for a gear but still nothing , it goes into the detent for a gear but there is abslotely no drive . He claims "no noises " before it failed , checked to see if the pinon in the rear end went out but the driveshaft isnt spinning in gear freely and the car rolls fine so thats fine . No noises with engine running

tow truck driver said to check the modulator valve and its vaccum line , apprently a disconeted mod valve can cause this ? I always thought mod valve helped the tranny deterine what gear to select based on engine vaccum

Hes pulling the inspection cover so we can check the flywheel/torque converter to make sure its all still joined together but im sure it is .

I have a feeling its either in the valve body (like the manual valve or something) or the front pump has went bad ....

Im soo lost as of right now , all my training was with electronic trannys , damn things ususly troubleshot themselves ...I have a new found respect for the old school mechanics that worked on cars that couldnt tell them what may be wrong . :hmm:

RBraczyk
07-16-04, 12:17 AM
if the transmission determines what gear you should be in by vacuum, then maybe if it wont' take a gear then the vacuum line is disconnected. older transmission are harder to troubleshoot. Did you check every gear? R N D 2 1 or L?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-16-04, 12:35 AM
yup no gears at all , 3900lb paper weight

Randy_W
07-16-04, 09:05 AM
MMMM, somethings broken!:D Seriously, it could be a pump, ashaft or even the torque convertor. Probably going to have to dissassemble to get a clue.

c5 rv
07-16-04, 09:38 PM
if the transmission determines what gear you should be in by vacuum, then maybe if it wont' take a gear then the vacuum line is disconnected. older transmission are harder to troubleshoot. Did you check every gear? R N D 2 1 or L?

The Powerglide was a bit more limited - 2 speeds only, low and go. I had one in my '66 Impala. Not the fastest off the line.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-16-04, 09:55 PM
but its scary to get a 1rst gear down shift at 40 , but that was the 59 with a 283 , havent seen what this one could do ...

JohnnyO
07-17-04, 11:33 AM
:coolgleam My first car was a 1968 Firebird with a 2-speed auto, if you floored it it would shift into second at 70 mph. I agree, it's probably the pump.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-17-04, 03:41 PM
Dads thinking its the pump too waiting till he gets home tomorrow before we do anything , he has more experence with cars from the 60s