: Wanted: Code Reading Hardware Suggestion

Akiragrey
05-29-09, 04:02 AM
Can anyone suggest a decent kit that will allow me my laptop to pull DTC's from my 2000 Deville, or whatever other Cadillac I might pickup down the road?

I'm considering ElmScan from Scantools . net

Submariner409
05-29-09, 11:31 AM
If you're not going into data logging and exotic software, the code reading function is already built into your car, and the stickys at the top of the main pages titled "how to pull codes" have a link to the descriptions of each code, whether in the OBD-I or -II series.

The cable for your setup depends on whether the diagnostic port is OBD-I, -II, or the newer CAN series.

Is your car an STS or DTS ???

Akiragrey
05-29-09, 12:15 PM
STS

I'm operating under the (superstitious) assumption that an external device can get me more comprehensive details. If that's not the case then I guess I can save that money for more parts and get logging capabilities and nifty software later.

At the moment I really only need to be able to pull codes and get some insight into what they mean. Anything else is just to satiate my need to have cooler toys.

I get the feeling that my money would be better spent on a set of Factory Service Manuals.

Submariner409
05-29-09, 05:35 PM
OK - Seville TS (Touring Sedan = STS).

The whole code diagnostic is built in, BUT, there are laptop and sophisticated scan tools (not the garden variety 39.95 kind) which allow you to dig deeper into the codes displayed, but to the best of my knowledge, the GM Tech-II tool is the only one that can actually alter some PCM settings such as driver ID programming and such. A full PCM reflash is an entire GM program keyed to your specific VIN. AJ and a couple of others are searching for the hack to go further, but so far, no luck.

Surf eBay for a Helm/GM Service Manual rather than forking over the $135 for a new hard copy. Also, for about $45 you can subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com for 3 years which gives you not only the GM manuals, but also all Service Bulletins, all codes, all diagnostics, all recalls, wiring diagrams, labor hours/job, and a ton of other stuff. 3 year renewals are $30 after first subscription runs out.

You go through the code pull procedure and read up in the OBD-II link provided in the same sticky threads and you'll have a big head start.

Don't know if you read further, but don't reset the codes just yet: Start a log and see what comes and goes - Current or History. C is for a fault which persists for 3 driving cycles, if the fault doe not re-occur the code goes to H and remains for 40 cycles, when it disappears. Don't reset PCM or Suspension or Emission codes before an emissions test: the car must present the test set with a "ready" signal - "not ready" and you fail. It takes at least a couple of weeks for the car to be "ready" after a full code reset. Take a look at www.scangauge.com .

Akiragrey
05-30-09, 02:00 AM
OK - Seville TS (Touring Sedan = STS)

WOW ... That's just amazing.

My Cadillac Deville has STS rims.

I guess I'm ot sure which trim I have ...

Submariner409
05-30-09, 12:18 PM
Look under the spare tire cover and write down all the 3-character codes on the sticker under there. Pay attention to "1" and "I". Enter the codes into www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php.

One or two of those codes will give you the OEM tire and wheel shipped with your car. So will the driver's door sticker tire info, which also gives the speed limiter setting:

S = 112 mph
H = 130 mph
W/Z = 150 +

Also entirely possible that one or more wheel caps were stolen/lost and were replaced with an eBay quick fix. Take a look at www.ehubcap.com