: Clean radar

caddycraig80
05-28-09, 10:58 PM
Driving home in heavy rain today and all of a sudden I heard a ding ding ding from the dashboard and the DIC read CLEAN RADAR and my ACC turned off, and I was unable to turn the cruise control back on until just before I was leaving the highway, now I would assume in heavy rain, cleaning isn't an issue. Any thoughts...

EChas3
05-28-09, 11:07 PM
The system thought it was dirty. Perhaps the heavy rain produced some bad readings. A power cycle (ignition off & restart) is normally needed to clear it. If the problem persists, a dealer may have to investigate.

Angus Young
05-29-09, 07:01 AM
I have the same problem with my ACC, it shows clean radar, i have wiped it down to perfection, reset by unhooking the battery cables and crossing them together, I took it to the dealer to have the trannny fluid changed and asked what they thought, when I picked up the car they said they think the radar needs to be replaced and they quoted me $4200.00, I have found the radar assy online for $1500.00 or best offer, I still think there is something else wrong causing the unit to show clean radar, if you find anything out please advise....

EChas3
05-29-09, 05:21 PM
Ouch! Great feature; I love it! But... Ouch!

:crying:

ewill3rd
05-29-09, 11:13 PM
First step in a "clean radar" situation is to aim the unit.
If it is out it will read parts of the grille as debris that might affect unit performance.

The OP needs to understand that heavy rain can affect the radar unit's ability to function.
This may happen in heavy rain or snow, normally.

Angus Young
05-30-09, 04:06 AM
I took my grill off. cleaned it, cleaned the radar unit with the grill off, drove it with the grill off and still get the clean radar

EChas3
05-30-09, 02:12 PM
First step in a "clean radar" situation is to aim the unit.
If it is out it will read parts of the grille as debris that might affect unit performance.

The OP needs to understand that heavy rain can affect the radar unit's ability to function.
This may happen in heavy rain or snow, normally.

Is it true that the alignment procedure is entirely electronic, with no physical adjustment? If this is the case, minor trouble could be the result of components changing resistance/capacitance over time and heat/cold cycles. A car presents some of the worst environmental conditions known.

The adjustment procedure is certainly worth the cost to try. If it doesn't work, then there's a tough decision. How long will the cruise work before it fails?

Personally, I could not tolerate a car without cruise control at all. :stirpot:

ewill3rd
05-30-09, 04:55 PM
No, it is not electronic.
The radar unit is fixed to a bracket that must be adjusted. There is a special laser alignment tool that must be attached to the unit after an alignment point is designated in front of the vehicle by a painful and lengthy procedure.
It is a mechanical adjustment.

EChas3
05-31-09, 01:05 AM
No, it is not electronic.
The radar unit is fixed to a bracket that must be adjusted. There is a special laser alignment tool that must be attached to the unit after an alignment point is designated in front of the vehicle by a painful and lengthy procedure.
It is a mechanical adjustment.

Thanks, ewill3rd.

caddycraig80 - You may be looking a major repair but I stand by my suggestion of an adjustment being worth a shot.:ill:

Superjim
05-31-09, 09:55 AM
Driving home in heavy rain today and all of a sudden I heard a ding ding ding from the dashboard and the DIC read CLEAN RADAR and my ACC turned off, and I was unable to turn the cruise control back on until just before I was leaving the highway, now I would assume in heavy rain, cleaning isn't an issue. Any thoughts...

As others have said..it may be an aiming issue.
Here is a link about another user with the ACC, and the troubles he had getting it fixed RIGHT.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-through-2011/136621-adaptive-cruise-control.html

Texas Jim

caddycraig80
05-31-09, 01:59 PM
Thanks, ewill3rd.

caddycraig80 - You may be looking a major repair but I stand by my suggestion of an adjustment being worth a shot.:ill:

Well the car is still under factory warranty for another 3k so maybe I will take it in tommorow and have it looked at, it's going in anyways for a minor clunk in the front end anyways, so I will have them look at that as well.

EChas3
05-31-09, 04:27 PM
My 2006 STS 1SG w' ACC works great. I wonder if the plain plastic grille used on early STS help with ACC. Does anyone know if the brake lights come one when the ACC is braking?

stevenriz
06-01-09, 07:53 AM
Just this morning I got a similar message in the head up. Check Gauges. So I looked around and there was a message in the driver information screen that read "CHECK CRUISE RADAR" or something like that. Nothing about cleaning it. After I shut down, I forgot to start it back up to see if a restart cleared the message. I'll know after work I suppose. anyway the cruise is disabled now :(

ewill3rd
06-01-09, 09:09 AM
EChas, I believe it does.
I looked that up once and although I don't specifically remember, I am 99% sure that it does so the cars behind you know you are slowing down.