: After Warranty Service Bulletin question

Dirny
05-28-09, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know if Cadillac (through the dealer) will warranty items that have service bulletins issued on them even after the car is out of warranty?

Even though my car is 2 months out of warranty (but well within the mileage limitation) I am just now discovering Service Bulletins on things that are wrong with my car.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

WillySTS
05-28-09, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know if Cadillac (through the dealer) will warranty items that have service bulletins issued on them even after the car is out of warranty?

Even though my car is 2 months out of warranty (but well within the mileage limitation) I am just now discovering Service Bulletins on things that are wrong with my car.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

I have 1st hand experience, the answer is no, they will not unless it is a recall or Special Service Bulletin and list a time and mileage expiration.

Of course each case is different. You should contact the service manager and go over the situation with him and see what he says, but be prepared to prove that you complained about those issues before the car went out of warranty. What issues are they, by the way?

00 Deville
05-28-09, 09:17 PM
I had a Caddy with 10,000 miles but the warranty had run out due to time.. not miles. The local Caddy dealer replaced my CKP sensors as a "good will gesture" this was back in 2004. With GM expected to file for Bankruptcy tomorrow I don't know if there is much "good will" around. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

EChas3
05-28-09, 10:03 PM
If you reported the problem, you are in a good bargining position. Even if you didn't, what can it hurt? A friendly but firm request can reduce the costs (parts at cost or a break on labor). Dealers are fighting for their survival and want your business.

amgqmp1
05-29-09, 01:17 PM
I'm in the same situation where my car is way low on miles, but over on time. My car is suffering from many common items that I believe have TSBs:

Start switch peeling
Drivers side door handle making keyless entry worthless
Groaning noise when climate control recirc. door opens/closes
Noise from steering wheel when turning

I know my local Cadillac dealership has no interest in dealing with those...just kinda sad that they don't rise to recall levels. They're all significant design flaws, IMHO. Oh well, thankfully none of them rises to being more than a nuisance...and they haven't deterred from my love of the car. :)

Dadollac1
05-29-09, 04:11 PM
I understand how you feel because before mines went out of warranty I had them replace my peeling start button,one headlignt composite,the wood around my radio/nav unit, my faulty ashtray and replace my steering rack and now as a good will questure they are going to replace the other headlight composite.As someone here said the worst answer they can give you is NO which reinforces my belief that if you plan on keeping your STS then please get an extended warranty be it a CPO or whatever for your piece of mind and protection:yup:

K STS
05-30-09, 12:00 AM
does anyone have a list of the Service Bulletins? My warranty is about to expire in a month and id like to get them resolved before that date.

EChas3
05-30-09, 02:44 PM
does anyone have a list of the Service Bulletins? My warranty is about to expire in a month and id like to get them resolved before that date.

There's a 'sticky thread' at the top of the list detailing common problems. I would not encourage you to have work done unless you experience a problem. For example, I like the stock ECM/Tranmission control program and don't really have the problems some have experienced. You may be better off without a 'fix'.

IMHO, check the car over closely with special attention to the following:

Differential Seals (actually a recall).
Navigation/Bluetooth software upgrade
Headlight condensation
Cracked Ignition Switch
Loose seat
Recirculation vent door 'farting' sound
Steering column noise when turning sharply at low speed.
Exhaust Howl (if noticable)

This last item is a slight howl at 1800 RPM under gentle acceleration. If you have it and find it annoying, there is a TSB to add weights to the exhaust/mufflers to change the resonance.

Anyone else?:suspense:

K STS
05-30-09, 10:42 PM
I have the transmission problem. It frequently searches for a gear when I apply anything but the lightest acceleration. It also kicks hard into second gear no matter where I have the throttle.

The software upgrade Im still trying to figure out. But I also have the loose seat issue.

How do I figure out how much time/miles is remaining on my existing factory warranty? I have an 06 with 38.5k.

EChas3
05-31-09, 12:35 AM
Have the VIN run. Here's the beginning of mine as a sample:

APPLICABLE WARRANTIES
Description Effective Date Effective Odometer End Date End Odometer
48/50000 BUMPER TO BUMPER LIMITED WARRANTY 09/21/2005 34 miles 09/21/2009 50034 miles

If you have CPO, it will show, too. As will all dealer performed service. A complete listing will include the build sheet, too. Hasn't the forum been enough fun for a $5 (or whatever) one-month membership? Join, post over on the CTS-V Vin Check thread and you'll probably have the details before the end of the day on June 1.

I have reason to believe my car was ordered a year before its inservice date. (The buyer wanted a second-year STS and put it on a three-year lease.) As such it is probably a very early build 2006.