: Excessive wheel weights on the Mustang as well

Blackout
05-28-09, 01:24 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5271915/2010-mustang-gets-some-serious-wheel-weights-too

2010 Mustang Gets Some Serious Wheel Weights, Too
By Ben Wojdyla, 10:30 AM on Thu May 28 2009
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/2010_Ford_Mustang_Wheel_Weights.jpg

We're familiar with the Camaro brake weights issue, so when we saw tons of wheel-balancing weights on the Camaro Indy pace car, we thought it strange. Turns out the 2010 Mustang is just as bad.

Seems we stirred up the pot with our little observation and the guys over at Super Chevy got curious about the competition's car, so they went poking around some 2010 Mustangs and found an almost identical length of balancing weights. The conventional wisdom says if this much weight was needed, either someone doesn't know what they're doing or there's something wrong with the wheel or tire. We're starting to think these kinds of long strips will be getting more common as large wheels remain popular and lead wheel weights get phased out of usage after the California ban. (Hat Tip to Pres) [Super Chevy]

LS1Mike
05-28-09, 01:59 PM
I am not concerned about wheel weights. As long as the tire is balanced I am happy.
Stands to reason though, larger rim/tire, more weights to balance it out.
You really can't see it unless you are looking for it.

thebigjimsho
05-28-09, 02:19 PM
Blackout is just being too nice lately...

The Tony Show
05-28-09, 02:34 PM
First time I've ever seen a troll intentionally argue against his own previous thread. Bizzarro world. :tard:

Blackout
05-28-09, 04:14 PM
First time I've ever seen a troll intentionally argue against his own previous thread. Bizzarro world. :tard:

How am I arguing against my own thread? I saw it, and figured I'd post it up because I'm sure you or jim would have loved to have posted this up and go, "lol Blackout the Mustang sucks soooo much! In your face! lol" or something along those lines

thebigjimsho
05-28-09, 04:30 PM
Blackout is just being too nice lately...

How am I arguing against my own thread? I saw it, and figured I'd post it up because I'm sure you or jim would have loved to have posted this up and go, "lol Blackout the Mustang sucks soooo much! In your face! lol" or something along those lines
Sometimes I wish you'd just stop and think. But since you're always in such a rush to prove you're right...:crying2:

Kev
05-28-09, 04:36 PM
First time I've ever seen a troll intentionally argue against his own previous thread. Bizzarro world. :tard:How am I arguing against my own thread? I saw it, and figured I'd post it up because I'm sure you or jim would have loved to have posted this up and go, "lol Blackout the Mustang sucks soooo much! In your face! lol" or something along those linesHaha! He's arguing about the arguing, not about being a troll! :histeric:

Blackout
05-28-09, 05:12 PM
I'm lost but ok. I just post up interesting article from time to time from the two websites. I'm just considered a troll because I don't get weak in the knees every time I see a GM product go by. I forgot it's being troll like if you like any and all cars

LS1Mike
05-28-09, 08:27 PM
Lets talk about wheel balancing again.
My brother-in-law had an accident and we had to get him going. One of the rims got bent but the tire was fine. We got a junkyard rim. They mounted it there and did a bubble balance, no machine. Car was smoother than before. The guy did an awesome job. Not sure it would work real well on a Camaro or Mustang. I just found it interesting.

Still not sure why everyone in i the automotive world is worried about wheel weights.

dkozloski
05-28-09, 09:23 PM
Another factor is that if the owner wants the wheel weights hidden, it's going to take a lot more weight to compensate for dynamic balance problems because they are so close to the wheel centerline. If you're okay with weights showing like I am it takes a lot less total weight to get the job done.

LS1Mike
05-28-09, 09:33 PM
My old 98 Z28 was balanced with the weights on the inside lip of the rim from the factory, you couldn't see them at all not sure why that isn't done.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-28-09, 11:17 PM
My old 98 Z28 was balanced with the weights on the inside lip of the rim from the factory, you couldn't see them at all not sure why that isn't done.

Newer wheels don't have the lips anymore, take a look at the picture above. Nowadays if you want to hide the wheel weights you have to put them inside the tire. It is a royal PITA but it can be done if you are willing to pay for it.

LS1Mike
05-28-09, 11:51 PM
Newer wheels don't have the lips anymore, take a look at the picture above. Nowadays if you want to hide the wheel weights you have to put them inside the tire. It is a royal PITA but it can be done if you are willing to pay for it.

My wheels on the WS6 have no lip, but the weights are on the very small part that is like a lip on the inside of the tire. Discount tire can do it. I think it is easier in a mass production situation to put them on like that.

ewill3rd
05-29-09, 09:33 AM
It all depends on the equipment you are using and who's using it.
Large amounts of weight are not good, you can do things to keep from having it be like that but it becomes annoying.

One big issue is if the guy balancing it doesn't know what he's doing you'll find weights all around the rim which makes for even more.

You can't put weights on only one plane, like the inside edge of the rim.
To be dynamically balanced you have to put them on two planes. That means inner and outer. Most modern wheels don't allow for placement on the outer lip of the rim like the old days, so stick on weights inside the rim are required. You still have to have a brain to do it properly.

Submariner409
05-29-09, 11:50 AM
Too bad that California has once again screwed the population with their incessant "green" meddling. They're worse than Congress, if that's possible.

Wheel weights.......for a long time a dirt cheap source of bullet metal. Great lead-antimony-tin mix for Colt .45 and .38 Special cast bullets. Fortunately, I have about 300 lb. of bullet metal in the garage.

"G$"
05-29-09, 03:04 PM
Too bad that California has once again screwed the population with their incessant "green" meddling. They're worse than Congress, if that's possible.

Wheel weights.......for a long time a dirt cheap source of bullet metal. Great lead-antimony-tin mix for Colt .45 and .38 Special cast bullets. Fortunately, I have about 300 lb. of bullet metal in the garage.

do you manufacture bullets or something? Preparing for armageddon?

Blackout
05-29-09, 03:14 PM
Zombie apocalypse

Submariner409
05-29-09, 04:14 PM
nah..........I reload .45 Colt, .38 Special and .357 Magnum for target shooting and also .36 and .44 roundball for replica muzzleloader shooting. Lucky enough to live in a 16 acre plat of land in the woods, so I have a pistol range and a 100 yard rifle range. 4 families on the 16 acres and we all shoot and hunt. Even the 12 year old kids across the road.

The Tony Show
05-29-09, 04:18 PM
You shoot and hunt the 12 year olds across the street?! :eek:

Submariner409
05-29-09, 04:23 PM
.................only after they're 16 and start driving to/from HS :lildevil:.

Trouble is the 12 year old girl, Maya, can outshoot me with .22 revolvers offhand at 50 feet.

Rodya234
05-29-09, 10:56 PM
Watch out pony car owners! Submariner will take your precious wheel weights and turn them into these!:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4852/sspx0393.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0393.jpg)

93eldodave
05-29-09, 11:03 PM
The cheaper the tire quality the more weights you'll have and the harder the tire compound and stiffer the suspension the less they will absorb the tire vibes and that means more weights

Destroyer
05-30-09, 11:27 PM
Newer wheels don't have the lips anymoreHow do they kiss?:confused:

thebigjimsho
06-02-09, 02:48 AM
gumjobs?

LS1Mike
06-02-09, 06:15 AM
gumjobs?

Now that is some funny shit!:bouncy:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-02-09, 03:07 PM
How do they kiss?:confused:

I dunno but when they do kiss they go all the way.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/2010_Camaro_Crash_Jalopnik-topshot.jpg