: RE: Moisture in headlight

Dadollac1
05-28-09, 10:04 AM
Well the summer rains have started early this year in Florida and my right headlight composite is now filled with moisture. I have brought my car to the dealer twice before for that problem but they said they couldn't replicate and the problem was never addressed.Today I called the dealer again about it and they said to bring the car in and let them look at it and make a determination since my car now has 51k miles on it. They looked, they saw and now they will fix my headlight for FREE. Yes you heard me correctly, they have ordered me a new headlight assy because that problem was documented while under warranty.I don't care what anyone says about Cadillac they have always been great to me. I don't know if it's GM or Ed Morse Cadillac but it's all good.:) that someome is standing behind their product

stevenriz
05-28-09, 10:27 AM
yup as long as it was documented before the warranty was up, you are covered. Mine did that very same thing and the dealer (not a caddy dealer) simply caulked the crack and it has been good ever since. For me it was my left headlamp. I can't imagine what that assembly might cost either.

Is this a known problem?

R1chard
05-28-09, 12:36 PM
yup as long as it was documented before the warranty was up, you are covered. Mine did that very same thing and the dealer (not a caddy dealer) simply caulked the crack and it has been good ever since. For me it was my left headlamp. I can't imagine what that assembly might cost either.

Is this a known problem?

It is a known problem. I had my driver's side replaced under warranty at 47K miles. I was told the assembly (HID) costs in the neighborhood of $800 plus installation.

Dadollac1
06-12-09, 07:42 PM
Well after a 2 and a half week wait for my headlight the dealer finally called yesterday so today it was in by 8 am and out my 10:15 with a brand spankin new leftside headlight composite and car wash(which I didn't need).That completes the transfer of both lights that were replaced due to moisture.

themightymezzo
06-15-09, 05:52 PM
Yeah I also had both of mine replaced do to moisture...all under warranty and no $$$ out of my pocket.

stevenriz
06-16-09, 09:40 AM
just so happened that after the other day's rain storm, my headlight has condensation again. I am out of factory warranty so we'll see if I can talk them into fixing it.

Dougs06sts
06-20-09, 07:00 PM
Did you get an estimate or did they complete the repair. I'm curious because my 06 just started showing condensation in the passenger side lens.

Thx

stevenriz
06-22-09, 11:11 AM
I did not get an estimate yet. I have an extended warranty but it has a small deductable. I know the dealer that I purchased it from sealed one side with some silicone. I am going to see if they will cover the other one. Or show me where the water is coming in and I will seal it. Apparently there is a signature "crack" somewhere on the housing. Up top I'll assume.

z06bigbird
06-22-09, 11:38 PM
It is a known problem. I had my driver's side replaced under warranty at 47K miles. I was told the assembly (HID) costs in the neighborhood of $800 plus installation.

I was at a BMW dealership recently. They mistakenly gave me a copy of the service order for a headlight replacement on one of their sports cars--almost $1,000. Last time I bought a headlight, it cost me about $6.00. Correct.

On the BMW, labor was 3 hours to remove the front bumper.

And we wonder why car manufacts are in trouble!!

Dealer quote: "But, sir, the public 'demands' these options."

Right!!

z06bigbird
06-22-09, 11:41 PM

Is this a known problem?

I am not sure it is a known problem. If you have the time, you can pull headlight some weekend and put it in bright sunlight for several hours, or until moisture evaporates completely.

Then get out the J B Weld or other glue.

You can eliminate the moisture problem for good.

Dougs06sts
06-22-09, 11:56 PM
Yea, if it's going to be more than a couple hundred, it's worth my time to pull it and do it myself. JB Weld works !

Thx.