: Wideband o2 Placement

SkullV
05-27-09, 05:19 PM
I was just wondering what the best place to install my wideband o2 sensor would be? I am planning on mounting it permanently and can deal with the fact that I will probably have to replace the sensor yearly. Can I just put it in one of the bungs for the post-cat o2s since they are already tuned out? Or should I have a bung welded in pre-cat right after the pre-cat o2s? Which bank should I install it in? Driver side or passenger side? Thanks!

CTSV_510
05-27-09, 06:05 PM
You want it put in pre-cat.

You can either weld in a separate bung, or you can actually replace one of your stock sensors with the wideband but you need to wire it in properly so it only shows to the PCM as a narrowband.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/419524-heres-how-wire-lc1-work-wideband-narrowband-same-time.html

more good info if you haven't read it:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html

another good place to hang out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=91

nmaier2201
05-27-09, 06:09 PM
I think you need two of them to make sure both banks are running well :) you wouldn't want one side running lean now would you?
http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/802805/catalog/FAST%20170402.bmp

Oh yeah... pre cat... gotta be pre cat

SkullV
05-27-09, 06:14 PM
I think you need two of them to make sure both banks are running well :) you wouldn't want one side running lean now would you?

Oh yeah... pre cat... gotta be pre cat

There is no way to really tune one bank vs. the other is there? So even if there was a small inbalance it would still be something you couldn't fix...right?

NormV
05-27-09, 07:00 PM
Further up stream the better. For convience put it post cat. Some tuners place the wb inside the tail pipe!

So placement doesn't really matter. :)

Norm

CTSV_Rob
05-27-09, 08:00 PM
I am looking to put mine on the top of the collector on the header pipe - both headers.

nmaier2201
05-27-09, 08:12 PM
There is no way to really tune one bank vs. the other is there? So even if there was a small inbalance it would still be something you couldn't fix...right?

Yeah that was a joke.... Having two is only good in case something goes wrong... if you see one bank running lean or richer than the other then you know to check your engine out.

SkullV
05-27-09, 09:25 PM
Yeah that was a joke.... Having two is only good in case something goes wrong... if you see one bank running lean or richer than the other then you know to check your engine out.

Thought so. I have been reading so much about tuning and widebands the last couple of days it's making my brain hurt! Between reading about this this, work, and summer school I don't know what time I'm even going to have to try and start tuning the car (well playing with tunes I already love the tune it has in it!)!

945liter
05-28-09, 01:46 AM
Cylinder #7 is most prone to run lean on lsx so logically i run mine on the driver side.

SkullV
05-28-09, 02:46 AM
Cylinder #7 is most prone to run lean on lsx so logically i run mine on the driver side.

Driver side it is!:thumbsup:

NormV
05-28-09, 07:04 AM
Driver's post cat is where mine is. It's off unless I turn it on when tuning. :)

Norm

Twitch
06-09-09, 01:24 PM
So, did you decide where your going to mount it?
Got mine in Friday. Just can't find the time to install it.

SkullV
06-09-09, 01:33 PM
I'm going with the header collector on the driverside right next to the narrowband o2. Which setup did you get?

Twitch
06-09-09, 02:16 PM
I'm going with the header collector on the driverside right next to the narrowband o2. Which setup did you get?
I got the LC-1
Might put it in place of the rear sensor.

SkullV
06-09-09, 03:29 PM
I got the LC-1
Might put it in place of the rear sensor.

From what I understand you won't want to put it post cat because it will give you a leaner reading then the true reading. I got the LC-1 too, but Trambow gave me a full LM-1 kit with the HPtuners stuff so i may go with the LC-1 to run the A/f protection on my nitrous controller and my gauge and the LM-1 for tuning.

lollygagger8
06-09-09, 04:12 PM
put it in your bunghole :lol:

EPP had his on the drivers side when he tuned mine, but he uses EFI Live (you already know) But I would assume it wouldn't matter what program you use

SkullV
06-09-09, 04:27 PM

EPP had his on the drivers side when he tuned mine, but he uses EFI Live (you already know) But I would assume it wouldn't matter what program you use

Yeah, most tuners either put it post cat because they don't want to remove the narrowband o2 sensors pre cat (and don't want to weld in a bung for one tune) or they put it post cat because they use a tailpipe clamp on the dyno. Either way it will read a little leaner then the true reading but they either just roughly "correct" for it or just run with it!

Twitch
06-09-09, 05:23 PM

:rofl:

At this point, I'm not worried about it showing a little lean.
When I really get into tuning, I'll have it welded pre-cat. For now, I'll keep it a bit rich anyway.

Naf
06-10-09, 05:47 AM
I have the LC-1 on the driver's side only hot wired into the NB o2 sensor.The purple is the one volt signal line, FYI...You will have to turn off the Heater option for MIL light codes..

So far i havent had any issues, For better balance if you are goin to hot wire in the NB o2 it would be better to do both sides, but if your tune is correct then its a waste of money for the trim wouldnt be that far off...I have about 1-4 point difference between my two sides. Not a big deal...But if you blow a fuse you will go into HEAVY enrichment on WB side. Been there done that...

The LM-2 is AMAZIN, got one to tune friends cars as well as my fathers boat...Wow very small, can be used alone or with PC and its Logable....Very happy with this buy..

liqidvenom
08-11-11, 11:43 PM
sorry to bring up a dead thread but how did you guys feed the wire from the sensor into the cabin?

Twitch
08-12-11, 09:18 AM
Under the dash. Big grommet for the steering linkage. Keep in mind the crazy ground offset we have on these cars.

CancerJCC
08-12-11, 05:32 PM
Under the dash. Big grommet for the steering linkage. Keep in mind the crazy ground offset we have on these cars.

Yep.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/Internet%20Uploads/DELETE002.jpg

liqidvenom
08-13-11, 06:24 PM
thanks guys, maybe take a look at this thread and maybe lend me some advice.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/237451-hp-tuners-lc-1-2005-cts.html

liqidvenom
09-11-11, 01:40 PM
Where did you guys get power and ground from, i just noticed that the fuse panel is in the rear of the vehicle. And what did you mean by crazy ground offset?

CancerJCC
09-12-11, 06:28 PM
Where did you guys get power and ground from, i just noticed that the fuse panel is in the rear of the vehicle. And what did you mean by crazy ground offset?

I ran an 8 gauge power line straight from the fuse block up front. Then I have that powering another fuse block under my center console which is run by an ACC relay. This pic shows all of my grounds in an attempt to avoid grounding offsets (all in one spot, different lugs).

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/GaugePodGaugeinstall027.jpg

The grounding offsets cause different readings on your WB gauge and HP Tuners then what the actual sensor is putting out. To fix this you need to adjust your gauge and HP Tuners to match what you are seeing in Log Works which is raw data from the LC-1. Get ready for a LOT of reading and it will eventually make sense.