: Early engine number needed

Radiogareth
05-27-09, 05:20 AM
I'm wondering if the N* was built before 31 August 1992? I know they were launched in 1993 but they must have been built or developed before then.

Reason is over here in England cars or engines built after that date require CATS in the exhaust and a strict emissions test. However, all I have to prove is that the engine was built before that date. I'm fitting my N* into a Ford (UK) Scorpio Cosworth (a 24v V6 of 200 bhp) and changing the N* to RWD. The car is a 1994, so it should have CATS. If 'my' engine is dated before 1st September 1992 I'm tested on the engine age (non-cat test), so you can see my need.

I know my engine (bought from a wreck) is a Year 2000, but the man testing it does not and a letter from GM dating 'my' engine would do the trick.

Any early engine blocks sitting in your garage or workshop??

Thanks

Gareth

Submariner409
05-27-09, 10:27 AM
Most Northstars have a "VIN derivative" etched into a pad on the block at what is now the right front of your engine, just below the lower edge of the cylinder head. This number is essentially the engine "serial number", and is an abbreviation of the VIN for the entire original vehicle. It CAN be traced to find the year of engine manufacture. The UK emissions guards will know that for the Cadillac Seville was marketed in the UK and Europe, so there is a paper trail of test specifications involved here, also.

Radiogareth
05-27-09, 11:41 AM
The UK emissions guards will know that for the Cadillac Seville was marketed in the UK and Europe, so there is a paper trail of test specifications involved here,

The 'emission guards' are not very alert and are more likely to be interested in the engine swap. A piece of formal paper quoting engine age will usually suffice. Worked on another car that I needed a date off line for - just a letter on F**D paper was fine. Etched numbers can vanish especially if the installation needs a bit of subtle grinding:shhh: or it might need thick paint there just to stop any corrosion. It would be a tight fit and hard top see anyway.

Just asking.....

Thanks

Gareth