: cleaning up the engine bay

Lazarus_Rooney
05-26-09, 10:04 PM
monday was my the first time i took my caddy to a car show, and i felt bad because i kept my hood shut due to a filthy engine bay. its not all bad tho, the ht4100 isnt the prettiest thing on earth anyway. but it still started to bother me that my engine bay was so nasty looking. so i got to work with "gunk" degreaser and scrubbed everything i could reach. what isnt corroded looks a lot better. but i still wasnt satisfied. today at school i brought my air cleaner cover into the metal shop and sandblasted it. (due to the unique way ledyard high school is funded, the exhaust fan on the sandblast booth forces the door open and theres holes in the gloves.) it came out pretty good, and when i got back to my house i spray painted it white to match the car. i think it came out rather well and draws the eye away from the less attractive parts of my engine.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/GEARHEAD426/P5260959.jpg

just so it looks finished im gonna have a friend of mine airbrush the cadillac wreath around the top.

96Fleetwood
05-26-09, 10:10 PM
Lookin' good. Are you going to blast some of the other bolt on items as well?

sven914
05-27-09, 12:04 AM
4100 or 307?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-27-09, 12:27 AM
My car was filthy when I took it to the show on Friday as well. However, I showed up as it was getting dark so you couldn't see too much. :)

DopeStar 156
05-27-09, 12:49 AM
Yeah dude you have a 307, not an HT4100.....

jayoldschool
05-27-09, 11:17 AM
That top rad support and the braces come off very easily. Blast those, and repaint satin black, and it will look great!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-27-09, 12:19 PM
Hey Lazarus, is your battery located at the front left?

Lazarus_Rooney
05-27-09, 05:15 PM
ok you guys got me confused now. from my understanding the HT4100 is the 5.0 engine, which is a 307, with the 2004r transmission. which is what my car has.

dirt cheap fleetwood, yes my battery is at the front left. is this abnormal?

i might just do some masking and paint the radiator support while its still on the car. asking the shop teacher if i can go out in the parking lot with half the tools to take the front half of my car apart might not go well. or i could borrow my neighbors grinder and be very careful.

ill have more pictures when the wreath is painted on.

DopeStar 156
05-27-09, 05:35 PM
ok you guys got me confused now. from my understanding the HT4100 is the 5.0 engine, which is a 307, with the 2004r transmission. which is what my car has.

dirt cheap fleetwood, yes my battery is at the front left. is this abnormal?

i might just do some masking and paint the radiator support while its still on the car. asking the shop teacher if i can go out in the parking lot with half the tools to take the front half of my car apart might not go well. or i could borrow my neighbors grinder and be very careful.

ill have more pictures when the wreath is painted on.

No, the HT4100 is a Cadillac built 4.1 liter fuel injected V8 used in RWD cars until 1985. The carbureted Oldsmobile built 307, or 5.0 liter V8 (what you and I both have) debuted in 1986 in the Fleetwood Brougham to replace the 4.1 because it was so underpowered in such a large car. The 307 was used until 1991 when the fuel injected Chevy 305 was used instead as the default 5.0 liter V8.

Your battery is in the same location as mine, on the driver's side of the engine bay which is where it goes with the 307 setup. This isn't weird, Cadillac switched it up a lot over the years and the battery's location has bounced back and forth among those years from left to right side of the engine bay. My '76 DeVille has it on the passenger side and I THINK my friend's '78 DeVille has it on the opposite side....

Lazarus_Rooney
05-27-09, 06:28 PM
thanks for clearing that up dopestar, the 307 does feel a bit underpowerd sometimes so i assumed i had the ht4100.:duh:this thread turned out to be more useful than i thought!

codewize
05-27-09, 08:06 PM
Looks good. It's really something you can do in your spare time. Unbolt anything you can, sand a little, prime and paint. You'd be amazed at how far a little effort gets you.

If there are things you can get to, maybe aluminum, or not, and they don't unbolt easily, don't be afraid to use a brush.

sven914
05-27-09, 09:17 PM
thanks for clearing that up dopestar, the 307 does feel a bit underpowerd sometimes so i assumed i had the ht4100.:duh:this thread turned out to be more useful than i thought!

This is a little off topic, but I recently had the pleasure of driving an 82 Sedan De Ville with the original HT4100. It had decent acceleration from a dead stop, until about 25mph where it seemed to hit a wall. In comparison my 307 is slower off the line, but continues to accelerate through the gears.

Broughams with 5.7's are rare in Ohio so, I have yet to find someone with a 350 who will let me take it for a test drive.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-28-09, 02:02 AM
Mine has the battery on the passenger side. I noticed the little red fusible link box in your picture and mine is on the opposite side.