: Need Motor Mount R&R procedure in Tech Tips

Ranger
05-26-09, 09:55 PM
Someone on the other caddy site was having problems changing the front motor mount on an '03 Deville. I checked my manual and it says to remove the frame :eek:. Basically you hang the engine from the strut towers and drop the cradle without the engine, but as I read it involves a LOT more, like steering rack removal. So I checked the Tech Tips section and there is nothing posted on it. Now I have had one replaced under warranty over a year ago and I waited for it so I know there must be a shortcut, as there usually is to many FSM procedures. So, to anyone who has changed one or will in the near future, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to post a tutorial in the Tech Tips section. And remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Krashed989
05-26-09, 10:14 PM
It can't be that hard... But then again I don't have an 03 to try with. How different is it from a 99?

Ranger
05-26-09, 10:24 PM
No idea if there is any difference or if so, how much.

ejguillot
05-26-09, 10:57 PM
Ranger,

I've done the motor mount twice on the 2000 Seville, and if ther Deville has a similar engine cradle (I think it does), here's how it will go (consider this a draft tutorial, don't have pics handy):

1) get the front end of the car in the air, I used a pair of jack stands with a 12" piece of 2x4 on the top (to spread the load) on the body behind the cradle. Use your judgment as to where to put these.

2) put a 4" piece of 2x4 on your hydraulic jack, then put in under the engine in the oil pan area (My northstar had a steel crossbrace piece going between the engine and trans, which proved ideal. You should have this too.) You will need this to support the weight of the engine, and lift the engine off the cradle (you'll need to do this to get the mount out). Pump up the jack until it just makes contact with the brace.

3) the mount has 2 studs coming out of it - 1 to the cradle (you can take this nut off at this point, it's a deep socket), and 1 to a supporting brace that attaches to the engine at 4 points (the brace will have to be unbolted from the engine, and comes out with the mount). Remove the brace to engine bolts at this point, gravity will keep the powertrain in place.

4) there are 6 bolts that attach the cradle to the frame (2 up front, 4 in back). the rear 4 are loosened, the front 2 will be removed altogether. Now, pump up the jack to support the weight of the engine, and remove the front 2 bolts, then loosen (about 5 turns from the point of removal) the middle 2 bolts, and loosen the rear 2 halfway. The brace and mount should separate away from the engine and be resting on the cradle.

5) To get the mount and brace out, raise the engine further with the jack, and you may have to pull down on the cradle to get the necessary clearance. Once the mount is out, unbolt it from the brace and install the new one (tighten this down properly, once installed you can't get to this bolt!)

6) Installation is roughly the reverse of removal, with the following things to look out for:

a: get the new brace/mount roughly in place, and bolt it to the engine. Torque to spec.

b: tighten the 4 rear cradle bolts, it'll close the gap for the front 2 bolts. Then (you will really want a helper at this point, but i managed to do it alone) push up the front of the cradle (if alone, have a piece of 2x4 or another hydraulic jack handy) enough to get the 2 front bolts started in their holes. Once started, torque all 6 cradle bolts to spec.

c: lower the powertrain down onto the cradle, and install the mount to cradle nut, torquing to spec.

you're done! Get the car down on the ground, and give yourself a pat on the back (and a beer too!) for doing what i consider a fairly advanced repair for the do it yourself owner.

ejguillot
05-26-09, 10:58 PM
I'll be reinstalling a solid front mount soon (mine broke, having it repaired), when I do i'll take good pics.

Ranger
05-27-09, 11:10 AM
Thanks. I'll post this in the Tech Tips section.

dalamak
05-27-09, 01:19 PM
I'll be reinstalling a solid front mount soon (mine broke, having it repaired), when I do i'll take good pics.

let me know how you make out on this solid motor mount, I'm looking to do the same thing, just haven't had a chance to mess with it

Ranger
05-29-09, 07:29 PM
I'd still like to see one for the 2000+ Devilles if anyone does it in case there are any differences.

winters
05-31-09, 11:44 AM
I am also interested in a 2000 dts engine mount replacement procedure.
Anyone out there done one?

tateos
06-02-09, 06:27 PM
2000 DTS is that same as above - that was exactly like I did it on my 2000 DTS

Ranger
06-02-09, 08:16 PM
Thanks Tateos. I'll add your comments to the Tech Tip.

Rapscallion
06-25-09, 03:47 PM
Will that procedure work for a 97 DeVille? Can I get solid mounts for a 97 DeVille?

tateos
06-25-09, 05:51 PM
Yes, same basic procedure, and there are some threads here dealing with upcoming solid motor mounts now under development.

On your '97, you also have 2 dog-bone mounts on top - they help restrain the engine and make failure of the lower mount less likely. I suggest you change them at the same time as the lower mount, be it OEM design or solid.

Ranger
06-25-09, 10:17 PM
Yeah, with those dog bone I'd doubt that you need a front mount. None of us would if the still used them.

DevilleRyDeR
06-30-09, 11:57 AM
Damn repair shop wants $494 for the motor mounts. Not sure which one bad. Also the plastic coolant tank has a crack in bottom the shop wants $265. all together to replace that.

Sounds like :lies:

Ranger
06-30-09, 12:25 PM
It's usually the front mount that goes.