: Tires

bbshriver
05-26-09, 09:34 AM
Starting one a big more generic than specifically asking about the ComforTred.

My michelins are starting to dry-rot, so I'm wanting to replace them before too long.

I was originally looking at the Goodyear ComforTred, which is ranked very highly on tire-rack for noise and ride comfort, which I'd probably say are the most important factors to me, however there are some "grand touring" tires that are also ranked very highly for these categories. If I can get a better performing tire without giving up comfort I would like that, but then I'm not sure if a buyer of a "touring" tire would be more forgiving of noise and harsh ride so the results seem like they could be skewed.

I know the STS is supposed to be a "performance" sedan, not all cushy and wallowy, but I mostly use it for comfy highway driving (have a Porsche and motorcycle for the other stuff), so absolute performance isn't as important to me.. but if I can get it without sacrificing comfort I'd like that.

Any consensus on a "best" tire?

EChas3
05-26-09, 01:52 PM
Perhaps this belongs in its own thread but we are considering tires for our STS's, too. My priorities are much the same as bbshriver's. My wife uses snow tires in the Winter, and she's looking a Summer tire to maximize handling, especially in the rain.

I'd like to see Tire Rack's guide rank 5 characteristics instead of 3:

Comfort
Noise
Wet Handling
Dry Handling
Treadlife

My wife would put Wet Handling #1. :yup:

bbshriver
05-26-09, 02:02 PM
If wet traction/handling is most important check out the Goodyear GSD3
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

My dad had that on a Jaguar XJR and was very happy. Treadlife is not so great though, and I don't recall how noise/comfort was, but they are good for wet.

porkfarm
05-26-09, 02:18 PM
Had Goodyear F1 all seasons , they got very loud very quick. Now Bridgestones. Also a high ranker in tirerack. They are nice, but will have to see how loud they are in 10K miles.

EChas3
05-26-09, 02:46 PM
Thanks. Tire Rack doesn't list 235/50R17 for my wife's STS & another site shows it backordered. We rode on Goodyear's for most of the 90's and switching to Michelin's only when trading cars. Goodyear's seemed to ride better & perform well. They could wear a long time when rotated every other oil change but often develop wear patterns if left on the same wheel for a long time.

bbshriver
05-26-09, 02:51 PM
Thanks. Tire Rack doesn't list 235/50R17 for my wife's STS & another site shows it backordered. We rode on Goodyear's for most of the 90's and switching to Michelin's only when trading cars. Goodyear's seemed to ride better & perform well. They could wear a long time when rotated every other oil change but often develop wear patterns if left on the same wheel for a long time.

I think there was a 245/45/17 which comes out pretty close to the same outer diameter, not sure if the extra width would cause problems up front though?

EChas3
05-26-09, 05:02 PM
I think there was a 245/45/17 which comes out pretty close to the same outer diameter, not sure if the extra width would cause problems up front though?

They would be 2.2% small. That's not all bad because it provides a bit of safety margin before a fast car award gets issued. (Her Blizzaks are actually about 1% oversize.)

When I bought my 2006 1SG AWD the P255/45R18's were on the front and didn't rub. Unless the fender liners vary, there's a lot of room. The bigger tires also look better in the wheel wells.:bouncy:

bbshriver
05-27-09, 08:32 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+Serenity&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=45VR7TS

Anybody have those? I think that's my front runner right now, I like the sound of the "comfortred" but I'm a little hesitant to go completely away from a touring tire, after all STS= Seville TOURING Sedan. (I know it's not a Seville anymore, but that's what STS is supposed to mean so...).

That's ranked very highly for noise and ride comfort... looks best in category for everything but snow.

lreddiablo
05-27-09, 04:19 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+Serenity&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=45VR7TS

Anybody have those? I think that's my front runner right now, I like the sound of the "comfortred" but I'm a little hesitant to go completely away from a touring tire, after all STS= Seville TOURING Sedan. (I know it's not a Seville anymore, but that's what STS is supposed to mean so...).

That's ranked very highly for noise and ride comfort... looks best in category for everything but snow.

These seem pretty darn good for what I have been looking for, knowing I have about 5k miles left on my current crappy OEMs. From the review, I would guess these are at least as good for traction as the OEMs, with a smoother quieter ride. Plus I am in S Cali so only get snow when going up the mts for snowboarding, where cables are required anyways if there is fresh snow/ice. Any other suggestions out there for max traction with a smoother, quieter ride than the OEMs?

TulsaVic
05-27-09, 05:17 PM
I replaced the original Conti Touring tires on my '05 300C (which were pretty mediocre tires) with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. Only drove them for about a year before trading in the car. The Goodyears were quieter than the Conti's but most of all they improved the handling of the car immensely. Went from needing two hands on the wheel on rough roads to two fingers. But I felt more high speed hydroplaning than I would have expected. More so than with the Conti's. My DTS came with Bridgestone Turanza EL400's. Only 10K on them but have no complaints with handling, wet or dry. Pretty good on ice too. But they are a bit noisy.

lreddiablo
05-27-09, 05:41 PM
Ok, so I just did a little research of my own on tirerack. I did a search by vehicle for my STS V-8 18' TPMS (staggard sizes). Very interesting what came up. Check out the ratings for the OEMs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+HX+MXM4&vehicleSearch=true&index=13&frontTire=35WR8MXM4HX&rearTire=545WR8MXM4HX. Out of all of the 18 tires that came up on the search these are by far the WORST rated. The other wierd thing is they are among the most expensive.

Now the interesting thing, the best rated were also Michellin, Pilot Sport A/S http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus&vehicleSearch=true&index=10&frontTire=35YR8PSAS&rearTire=545YR8PSAS. Not only do they get excellent reviews, but they are about 40% cheaper than the OEMs. A few people complained about road noise and loss of MPG, but others said the opposite. Guessing even with the complainers, they would hate the other Michellins that GM origionally put on the STS. Also these tires have a 45k mile treadlife warranty when the OEMs have none! Great all-round tire in the reviews with excellent handeling in Dry and Wet conditions, and pretty good snow handeling as well.

Now I am puzzled why GM chose the tires they chose. Much more expensive, much crappier, but the same brand as the Sport A/S, so not like they have a deal with Michelin causing them to chose these crappy tires. No wonder GM is in so much trouble. I keep saying I love my STS, but there are several little things I have noticed they could have done better in designing this car that wouldnt have cost them much more but made a huge differance, and in this case, they would have saved money. Were all the execs and engineers at GM eating lead paint chips when they grew up?

I think I will go with MICHELIN Sport A/S as my next tires unless someone can convince me otherwise

Heavy_Metal
05-31-09, 10:10 AM
I have an 05 STS AWD 1SG and replaced the tires with MICHELIN Sport A/S but I put the larger 255/45-18 on both front and rear. I had 30 k miles on the OEM and now have 35 k miles on the MICHELIN Sport A/S and I'm ready to replace them with the new MICHELIN Sport A/S Plus.

I originally switched to the MICHELIN Sport A/S because the OEM tires were terrible on wet roads. The MICHELIN Sport A/S tires are much better especially on wet roads. The dry road cornering feels much more solid although some of that may be due to changing to the 255/45-18 tires on all four corners rather than the Sport rating.

There have been a number of threads and posts on this forum describing similar improved performance of MICHELIN Sport A/S compared to the OEM tires as well as discussions about the tire diameter and width affects of switching to the same 255/45-18 tires on all four corners. The tire diameters are very close to OEM front and rear and there is no rubbing. All describe positive results from making this change. Now that the "Plus" updated version is available, the choice is even easier.

next2pool
06-01-09, 04:19 PM
There's a little known secret about OEM tires and subsequent replacement versions. For many years, I did the ride and handling buy-off for whatever tires were going to be supplied as original equipment--in those years a high volume car such as an Impala/Caprice could be supplied with 4 or 5 brands due to volume. The problem is that the aftermarket replacement is likely to be a totally different construction vs the original equipment. The names and tread patterns are marketing icons for the tire manufacturer and many times these are used by many different car manufacturers. It's not a good thing, but a reality of the complexity of the business.

EChas3
06-01-09, 07:08 PM
Most higher-end cars use the same tires as a consumer would buy. I believe the Michelins on our cars are not OEM downgraded versions. Of course, I'm just another poster-boy! :o

z06bigbird
06-01-09, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=lreddiablo
I think I will go with MICHELIN Sport A/S as my next tires unless someone can convince me otherwise[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself convinced otherwise: Go with the Michelin Sport Plus A/S. Much better tire per ratings.

I just bought a set for BMW, but I have not yet put them on car.

dhemrick
06-01-09, 09:13 PM
Consider yourself convinced otherwise: Go with the Michelin Sport Plus A/S. Much better tire per ratings.

I just bought a set for BMW, but I have not yet put them on car.

I put Goodyear F1 A/S on both our STS-V and STS4. On both cars, the tires rode good and quietly for the first 10K miles, but then started to get really noisy. I replaced the ones on the STS-V after 18K miles with the Michelin Sport Plus A/S, and it is like night and day. TOn the V anyway, the Michelin tires are WAY better than the Goodyears. Much smoother ride, about the same amount of grip and much quieter.

The Michelins cost a little more but in my opinion they are worth it.

bbshriver
06-02-09, 07:54 AM
The Turanza Serenitys 245/50/17 are being installed today, I'll update on thoughts when I get them. I have high hopes, reading the reviews of the OEM michelins, versus the Turenza seems like it should be a good improvement.

next2pool
06-02-09, 01:29 PM
Most higher-end cars use the same tires as a consumer would buy. I believe the Michelins on our cars are not OEM downgraded versions. Of course, I'm just another poster-boy! :o

Actually the tires that come with the vehicle as new, tend to be at least as good and usually better than what is available in the aftermarket. Although they look the same, have the same tread pattern, and the same names, the internal construction will likely be different since it is tailered to that model. There are exceptions if it is a low volume type that aren't used on many cars, they may well be the same.

bbshriver
06-09-09, 08:52 AM
The Turanza Serenitys 245/50/17 are being installed today, I'll update on thoughts when I get them. I have high hopes, reading the reviews of the OEM michelins, versus the Turenza seems like it should be a good improvement.

Well I've got about 1500 miles on the tires so far. They are quieter, smoother and grippier than the stock michelins were, though the dealer didn't quite get them balanced perfectly so I need to go back and get them done again. Overall I'm happy with them.