: Greetings from my new Acer MacBook.

Jesda
05-26-09, 01:45 AM
I was ready to throw this junky laptop into the trash until I decided to tinker with Mac OS. I found a distribution with Leopard 10.5.6, installed it, and after 15 hours of reinstalling, reformatting, and screwing with config files I got it up and running. Surprisingly, it runs even better than XP. The last time I used the Mac OS was on my G4 Mini with only 512MB.

I gave up on trying to get my network hardware to work and bought a Belkin at Target this morning. Works great. Installed VMWare Fusion to run my Windows shipping software. The installer is super sensitive to what combination of drivers, kernels, and other options you choose, as the wrong mix will cause a kernel panic or failure to boot. After several hours of work, Googling, and a couple pages of hand-written notes I finally got it going.

VERY SATISFIED.

codewize
05-26-09, 02:25 AM
I'm impressed

Aron9000
05-26-09, 02:45 AM
Boris Grinshenko approves!

http://www.freewebs.com/halocheerleader/boris%20grishenko.jpg

Seriously, that's pretty damn cool that you have a $125 MacBook

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-26-09, 03:20 AM
^ However, Jesda is far more invincible than he was.

AMGoff
05-26-09, 03:55 AM
Hey (Eggs) Benedict Arnold... Who do you think you are - God? Linus Torvalds?

Steve Jobs wants his tax and Bill Gates wants his licensing fee... post haste.

To expedite matters, simply send me a check for both and I'll begrudgingly make sure it gets to the proper authorities.

Jesda
05-26-09, 04:07 AM
I gave all my money to a Nigerian Princess!

Playdrv4me
05-26-09, 04:44 AM
What, no vid?

Jesda
05-26-09, 08:57 AM
E3Qjrk_Fkzo

System Profiler results:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.0073.B00
Serial Number: SOMESRLNMBR <-- LOL

fierodough
05-26-09, 10:23 AM
How did you get a PC to boot a Mac OS? I've heard to the reverse but never this.

AMGoff
05-26-09, 12:13 PM
How did you get a PC to boot a Mac OS? I've heard to the reverse but never this.

It's old news... For like three years now - pretty much ever since Tiger first shipped for Intel.

All it requires is fairly compatible x86 hardware and a copy OSX86 with a hacked installer... It takes a little bit of time and it's easy to run into some headaches along the way, but it's a relatively straightforward process these days - especially the close one gets to matching Apple OEM hardware.

If I had to guess, Jesda probably "borrowed" the "Kalyway" hacked installation and used that to install the Mac OS onto his netbook.

Jesda
05-26-09, 01:48 PM
Close, I got the iPC distribution with 10.5.6. Installed Office 2008 and VMWare Fusion.

The neatly organized installations eliminate the prep work of having to fake an Apple ROM, but choosing drivers and patches and kernels (ANY of which can easily conflict with each other) is a pain. You can't just choose a full installation and have it work. You really get to know your hardware.

For anyone else who does this, I suggest installing the base OS with nothing else added to make sure it runs at all, then do some heavy Googling to see what drivers you need and add them ONE BY ONE to be safe. You'll also become quite familar with config files, bootloaders, kexts, and other things real Mac users don't have to deal with.

If you happen to have compatible hardware, its a breeze. insanelymac.com has a forum with tons of info.

C0RSA1R
05-27-09, 01:55 AM
I gave all my money to a Nigerian Princess!

You can't have her; she's mine! I bought her a new kidney, for heaven's sake!

Still waiting on my UN World Lottery earnings, though . . .