: What Baby seat do you use?

BLACK CAR
05-25-09, 12:21 AM
I went to the baby store today to look at car seats. I have to say that I am a bit overwhelmed by all the different seats. I think I would like a convertible.

This is our first child, so this is all new to me. I would like something that fits in the V easy. I would also like something that looks sporty, or goes with the car. The safety of my baby is the most important aspect though!!

Also, our baby is named Tegan Veliciti and yes Veliciti was a direct take off from the V!!

Pics would be great if you got em.

Thanks Billy

Junior1
05-25-09, 12:32 AM
For all 3 of mine, we started with the Peg Perego carrier.
Once age/weight is there they went to the Britax Marathon.
Now they are in Recaro seats which go from harness to booster

tmwfla
05-25-09, 12:58 AM
Short answer: Britax Frontier, and my daughter absolutely loves it. Considered Recaro, but went with this one for multiple reasons. Recaros are good too, based on my research. (just went out and snapped these pix for ya)

Long answer: I JUST went through this whole fiasco a couple weeks ago. My daughter is almost 5, but is 48" tall and 45 pounds. Originally, she was in a "normal" inexpensive harness-type car seat (after the infant click-in-click-out system), and I recently changed her over to a backless booster seat because of her weight and height. I never felt very safe with the backless booster in case of a side impact, etc., and she didn't like that when we turned she would be caught a little off balance since there's no lateral support in these types of boosters, so the search was on. When I talked to her about what she liked and disliked, she said she wanted a harness seat again. Not an easy feat since she's over the normal 40 lb limit for most harness seats. I wanted to use the LATCH system this time, because I HATE trying to deal with the seats via seat belt, etc. So, my criteria were: Harness with a high safe weight limit, LATCH system, full seat (with back), adjustable to grow w/her, great side impact safety (even though she's in the middle of the back seat). Her criteria: harness, deep cup holders, and pink (LOL). Anyway, after researching this thing to death, and then some, I landed on the Britax Frontier. It gets high ratings from IIHS, user ratings, she can be harnessed up to 80 lbs if she wants, and it can be converted to a regular booster seat when SHE'S ready, it's adjustable to grow with her, has really good side impact protection (including head), etc. etc. etc. I bought it from amazon because nobody had the pink one in stock near me, and it was impossible to find anyone who actually carried the Recaros (even though they were listed as an authorized seller). The 2 Recaros I considered didn't have cup holders for her anyway, if I recall correctly.

Couple helpful links:
http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html
http://www.car-seat.org/

VforMe
05-25-09, 09:33 AM
These guys are steering you in the right direction. I have a Britax Boulevard for my daughter whose 3 and still use the graco carrier for my son whose 5 months. The carrier is the way to go for the fist year so you don't have to get them in and out of the seat everytime you get out of the car. Just get an extra base for your wifes car and you're set. The recaros looked cool but the Britax seats beat all the others in safety and when you drive like daddy does you want the safest ones you can get.

BacDoc
05-25-09, 10:00 AM
I thought the Recaro's didn't get the best reviews?

silver02stang
05-25-09, 10:39 AM
my wife and i used a graco w/ the "mountable" base for the first few months. @ around 9months we upgraded to this:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2887/simpsonbabyseat.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/my.php?image=simpsonbabyseat.jpg)

Junior1
05-25-09, 10:48 AM
Forgot to mention, I've got the Recaro Young Sport models

BLACK CAR
05-25-09, 12:44 PM
I stayed up late last night looking at seats and reviews. I have narrowed down the selections to: Britax Boulevard CS, Marathon CS, and Recaro Signo.

These 3 seem to be top notch, and will have the ability to go from newborn up.

I appreciate the advice and pics. If anyone is using one of these 3 please chime in and give thoughts.

The Recaro did get good reviews btw.

Thanks Billy

2003RC51
05-25-09, 02:18 PM
I have been using the Recaro Signo since my daughter was born. I have had no issues with it and it fastens incredibly good into our Tacoma. The latch system is amazing. It will not move 1/4" in any direction. my daughter finds it very comfortable as well. She is usually asleep within the first couple minutes every time we go somewhere. We also have the Recaro Como in another car but I would definitely spend the extra and get the Signo. The latch system on the Como is not nearly as good as the Signo. I went with the Recaro because they are a seat maker. If they can build race car seats that protect people at very high speeds then I trust them to do this.

I have set the Recaro in the V but never latched it in. It will fit much better forward facing but you have around a year before you can do that. Rear facing it does take up a lot of space and you need to make sure that it does not touch the front seats. I would recommend going by a baby store and test fitting them before you buy one. I believe babies R us has also started carrying Recaro.

Here is the Signo in the Tacoma.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o245/vlocit/CIMG7469.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o245/vlocit/CIMG7465.jpg

OzarksHillbilly
05-25-09, 03:17 PM
I never thought I'd be offering advice about child seats on the V board, but as a very experienced grandfather and V owner since 2005, here goes:

Britax Boulevard for infants, Britax Frontier for older young'uns. Good LATCH systems, good adjustability, etc.

nmaier2201
05-25-09, 06:30 PM
I hate to say it, but I got two of these in black to match the Raven, and dumped the two arm carrier things... works great.

Amazon.com: Evenflo Titan Elite DLX Convertible Car Seat - Columbia: Baby (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YZ7ZRM)

ctsv154
05-25-09, 06:41 PM
Boy I'm glad this isn't going to be a mod of mine for quite some time!

Rockafella
05-25-09, 08:47 PM
We have the Graco infant carrier but both kids were out of that by 7 months. Then we bought the Britax Roundabout (similar to the Marathon). My 4 year old currently rides around in a Britax Frontier.

Britax has their own sled for testing and they get good reviews on all their seats. They are easy to use too. My 2 cents.

rjoffe
05-25-09, 10:09 PM
After they get out of the infant carrier, check out www.safeguardseat.com, in my opinion some of the best. I have a 3 1/2 and a 6 year old, both fit very nicely in the the safeguard go model.

One thing to note, Our V's (at least V1) the latch mount points are buried way deep in the seat. They are a major PITA to get to. The safeguard seats, have the absolutely best LATCH connector I have seen. The LATCH connector is about 3 inches long, with a hook at one end, and a release button on the outside end. To hook you just push it on, and to unhook you press the release. It is 100% better then the previous seats I had which had a spring loaded hook, that was a major pain to get in and out.

Ron

BLACK CAR
05-25-09, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys you have all been very helpful. I believe the Recaro Signo is the one that we will be getting. My wife loves the blush (thank you 2003RC51) and since we are having a girl its OK by me.

The babys R us store did not have the Recaro, but some of the reviews I read people were putting this seat RF in smaller cars than the V so I think it will fit fine. I am only 5'9" so I won't have the seat back too far.

Once again thanks for your time and efforts helping me on this. I know you all care for the safety of your children and that was one of the reasons I bought a V in the first place.

400 HP and precision handling doesn't hurt either!!!:devil:;)

lollygagger8
05-26-09, 10:23 AM
Graco here for my 7 month old. Since you have to face em backwards, it fits well and looks good.

Mine is this style, but black and red....I can't find mine on here....
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3441623

But I'm not sure why nobody else has this, or mentioned it.....but get a seat protector for underneath it! I bought a Prince Lionheart or something like that from Babys R' Us......my seat still looks brand new!

Agree with rjoffe.....our safety latch loops SUCK to get to!!

justin311
05-26-09, 11:35 AM
Boy I'm glad this isn't going to be a mod of mine for quite some time!

I'm with you. My brother just had a little girl and I'm good being a uncle for now.

dmilamj
05-26-09, 03:44 PM
.....but get a seat protector for underneath it! I bought a Prince Lionheart or something like that from Babys R' Us......my seat still looks brand new!

Agree with rjoffe.....our safety latch loops SUCK to get to!!

The LATCH connectors are a beyotch, no doubt.

I've got a Graco Roundabout, forward facing (I've only had the V while my son has been facing forward.) I think it's a great seat, smaller than the Marathon, and it is very very easy to adjust, so easy that you can do it every time you put them in the seat.

Don't know about the rear-facing or connector/base type in the V. Based on my previous experience in my old Maxima, I imagine that the passenger seat will have to go well forward to fit them in...