: It's time for new tires. Suggestions?

Skiman
05-24-09, 08:14 PM
My 2004 V8 SRX AWD's OE Michelins are in need of replacement. Since I have a second set of wheels with mounted Pirelli Scorpion snows, winter traction is not a concern for the new tires. I intend to stay with the stock 235/60 F and 255/55 R 18 size. Fortunately, there are now quite a few brands available in the stock sizes. I was satisfied with the performance of the OE Michelins, but with one major fault; the mileage. I only got approximately 25,000 miles out of them ( I have three cars, and switch to the Pirellis during the winter). And, of course, new Michelins are pricey. So I'm looking at other brands. What do you recommend?

robhersch
05-25-09, 04:45 PM
We also found our OEM Michelin Pilots to be wearing very quickly; 2005 SRX N*V8, F: 235/60-18 (very fast wear), R: 255/55-18 (~normal expected wear) even after several wheel alignment checks & tweaks.
We also preferred 4 replacements of the same size; we rotated F to R, etc for ~ 7000 miles and found negligible differences with the 255s in front except that the 255s seem to wear better on front than the 235s. (Caddie says NO to 4@255-18s, but YES to 4@255-20s for extra $8,000.)
We preferred either Goodyear or Michelin as replacement; and after checking pros & cons on-line and with local sellers, we went with Michelin Energy MXV4 plus - 255/55-18 - all around. One sway factor was a 50,000 wear warranty along with lifetime rotation & rebalance each 5,000 miles. After 2,000 miles, We believe the new tires to be somewhat smoother than OEM with no degradations in handling, etc (so far)!
Good luck.

Northern SRX
05-26-09, 06:45 AM
Like you, we have a 2nd set of winter wheels mounted with Nokian snows. Unlike you, we'll be a few years yet before we'll have to replace the OEM tars. That being said, I really like what I've read about the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge and, if I was in the market now, that's what I'd get.

If you are really concerned about tire wear, like robhersch suggests, I'd go with either 255s or 235s all around (and probably 255s). There's nothing like tire rotation to extend treadwear - especially on AWD.

05awdupstater
05-26-09, 09:11 AM
My experience with GY ResponsEdge was horrible. I put 255's all around on my '05 V6 awd. The center tread pattern wore on all 4 tires in 20,00+/-. The edges were much better. Maybe that's where the name came from. Tire pressures were not raised, alignment was checked.
The local GY store said that was the wrong tire for my heavy awd vehicle. I was also told that the ResponsEdge has no treadwear warranty. GY did a special credit for me on a different set.

louisn
05-26-09, 03:48 PM
I'm going with Kumho ROAD VENTURE APT-KL51 using the factory recommended staggered sizes. About $620 total including mounting, balancing and taxes from a local tire shop. They get amazingly good reviews on Tire Rack for the price too. I figure I would be looking north of a 1000 total for the OEM michelins which are rated lower on Tire Rack. I had Michs on another car and both replacement brands, Sumitomo and Yokohama?, were just as good if not better and CHEAPER.

conedoctor
05-26-09, 05:40 PM
Did you try searching this, it has been covered in great great great length here.

jwoodie
05-26-09, 09:59 PM
I am mystified by all the reports of uneven/premature tire wear. My OEM Pilots have 25,000 miles on them with plenty of rubber remaining. Also, how can center tire wear be due to anything but overinflation? No criticism intended:)

Northern SRX
05-27-09, 06:04 AM
My experience with GY ResponsEdge was horrible. I put 255's all around on my '05 V6 awd. The center tread pattern wore on all 4 tires in 20,00+/-. The edges were much better. Maybe that's where the name came from. Tire pressures were not raised, alignment was checked.
The local GY store said that was the wrong tire for my heavy awd vehicle. I was also told that the ResponsEdge has no treadwear warranty. GY did a special credit for me on a different set.

Thanks for the information. Curiously, your experience doesn't jive with any of the written reviews I have read - including glowing ones on tirerack - but, admittedly, none of those reviews were of an SRX application. That makes yours all the more valuable to us here.

Still, the load index of the ResponsEdge is higher than the OEM Michelins - indicating that they would indeed be suitable for a vehicle like the SRX. While the SRX is a heavy vehicle, it is not that much heavier than a large passenger car - and certainly less heavy than a true SUV.

Admittedly, GY's site does not distinguish a crossover from an SUV and does not push the ResponsEdge for SUV applications.

TTopJohn
05-27-09, 11:28 AM
I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Response Edge in the stock 235/60/18 front 255/55/18 rear size. The reviews on the Tire Rack and the test results seem very good, price is a nice discount from the OE Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, and based on the test and survey results they may be a bit quieter, better resistance to hydroplaning, and a touch softer riding while keeping the same "grand touring" tire handling. Also, with a 50,000 treadwear warranty, Goodyear expects they will last longer than the ~35,000 I'm going to get out of the Michelins. And finally, the Goodyears appear to have a rim protector, which is sorely lacking on the OE Michelins.

The Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 is tempting, as I've had good results with Kumhos in the past, but apparently you have to mix speed ratings (V on the front, H on the rear) to get the size and load rating required for the SRX, and I'm not real comfortable with that. Also, it's a "highway all season" while the ResponsEdge and the OE Michelins are "grand touring all season" - the two categories are not that far apart, but a grand touring all season should be a bit sportier and more responsive ("Ultra High Performance All Season" would be more responsive still) while highway touring will have more focus on treadwear and comfort. I don't want to alter the current athletic feel, so I'd like to stay with the OE specs here. Particularly given that these Kumhos only work out to be approx $166 less than a set of the ResponsEdge Goodyears. Kumoh has a grand touring all season in 255-55-18 the Solus KH16, that is V rated and has a 109 load rating, Tire Rack has these for $149 each. But for only $18 more per tire, I'd like to try the Goodyears just to see how they are.

Regarding sizes, I suspect the 255s all around work just fine, but I am so pleased with the way the car drives right now that I don't want to run even the slightest risk of introducing tramlining or increased chance of hydroplaning - not saying those two things will happen if you go to 255s all around, but in general, wider tires are more succeptible to these things, narrower tires less so. If I couldn't find a tire I liked in the stock sizes, or if there was some significant cost savings with 255s all around, I would reconsider.

JD2004
05-27-09, 03:04 PM
Ttopjohn, Let us know what you buy! Im also considering Goodyear RE`s, but I am a little conserned about comfort and quietness.

I was originally going for continental Crosscontact UHPs, anybody got some experience with these to share?

rackey
05-27-09, 10:17 PM
10K miles on the Continental Crosscontact UHPs. 255s all around and treadlife looking good. No complaints at all, feel and drive better than the OEM Michelins.

srx2005
05-28-09, 12:03 AM
Bought (Tire Rack) GY ResponseEdge for my 2005 AWD - retained stock sizes. Significant ride and performance/handling improvement over stock Michelins.

Was so happy with them on the SRX that I put a set on my 2000 Eldorado when it needed tires.

Autobahn_Burner
05-28-09, 09:05 AM
I have very good experiences with Continental Cross Contact UPH too. German engineering... Even treadwear, high mileage, and best of all the most silent one ever driven. Have 255 on all four corners.

conedoctor
05-28-09, 10:28 AM
10K miles on the Continental Crosscontact UHPs. 255s all around and treadlife looking good. No complaints at all, feel and drive better than the OEM Michelins.

I love mine, 255 all around.

I bought these for my wifes care so I would not put an unsafe tire on the car, I did not think twice about 255 all around and my big concern was rain and at just over 3/4" wider it will not make any real world difference IMO.

The Continental Crosscontact UHP is a summer tire and has no trade offs to deal with snow so you get a better tire for what you are using it for, yes it will suck in the snow but you have winter tires.

This and more is covered in some huge threads, get your search on :)

Darth Xed
05-28-09, 10:36 AM
With just under 12k on my 2008 V6 AWD SRX with 17" wheels, my OEM Goodyear RSA's have shown little wear, so I am a ways away from having to replace them.... the RSA's always get bashed, but my experience with them has been fine on several vehicles... of course, that doesn't mean you can't find something better.

But, when the time comes, I am planning on going with Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance... Family members have used them on several applicationos, and love them, and they have extremely high ratings on tirerack from other owners.

The main thing holding me back from this is that They don't offer a 255/60-17 ... so I'd have to put 235/65-17's all around, rather than just up front.

Skiman
06-03-09, 04:03 PM
After a lot of research, I decided to purchase a set of Goodyear Response Edge in the stock sizes. So far, I like them very much. It has only been three days of driving on them, however. Noise is acceptable, ride is smooth, and cornering is nicely responsive. I got them at Discount Tire, and thought I'd share a little tip. Discount tire has two websites; I used Discountiredirect, which is apparently intended to be used by consumers ordering tires without a local Direct Tire dealer and has lower prices. I was able to get the local Discount Tire dealer to agree to the online price, which included free shipping and an additional discount of $40 that matches the Goodyear rebate. Local sales tax still applies of course.