: Starter Replacement

CaddyChillin77777
05-24-09, 03:07 PM
Ok, so a couple days ago I went to start my car and as I turned the ignition instead of firing up like usual, I just heard a screech noise and the car never started. I talked to a friend and he said it sounded like an issue with the starter. I looked them up online and they're give or take $65 for a new/rebuilt one. However, is this something I can replace by myself? I know there are 2 or 3 bolts then a couple wires, but do I need to get underneath the car to change it? Or is it possible to do from above? My car is just sitting in the garage now and I've been looking forward to summer cruising for a while! Any advice??

Lee

Angry Matt
05-24-09, 05:50 PM
Have you tried to start it since then? Or just that once? Sometimes my gears will miss when I go to start and make a loud screech, but that doesn't mean a new starter. If you feel the need to replace it, it is very easy. Just make sure you disconnect the ground from the battery before you get started. 2 bolts and two wires and you have to do it from underneath. Unbolt the wires, then the two bolts, and don't let it fall on your head. Put it back the way it came out.

jayoldschool
05-24-09, 06:17 PM
There is some how-to on my 81 coupe project thread. I'm with Matt, though. It may not be the starter. You might be missing a tooth or two on the flexplate, and it just didn't catch. If you do take it out, take it out and get it tested before you get another one. All the parts places test starters for free. Keep the shim(s)! Re-use them on the install to make sure it is lined up correctly...

CaddyChillin77777
05-25-09, 01:53 PM
I have tried it more than once. My friend told me that if I tried rolling it out of the garage then start it up maybe the gears would re-align. So I tried it and still got that terrible, terrible noise. But alright, I just don't have a way to get underneath the car.

If it turns out it isn't the starter, any other ideas?? The engine doesn't turn or click before it like it normally does. It just immediately lets out this scream.

Lee

75sled
05-26-09, 04:22 PM
On my 75, i just jacked it up like I was changing the front tire. Matter of fact, it was easier to access once i removed the tire. Also, check with Rock Auto. Mine was brand new AC delco for $35 plus shipping. I thnik it was les that $40 total.

I rebuilt mine once and it was still dragging, so I bit the bullet and bought a new one and now it starts great anytime.

Yours almost sounds like the solenoid isn't engaging and it is just free spinning the starter motor. You might get under there and tap it a couple of time with a hammer (not TOO hard) and see if it frees it up.

jayoldschool
05-26-09, 05:10 PM
Yes, do the hammer trick. You have to tap on it while someone is trying the key, though. Make sure the car is well supported on jackstands! I got my 81 to start this way when the starter went bad.

CaddyChillin77777
06-15-09, 02:42 PM
I'm actually working on the car right now. Should I removed the front right tire, front left tire, or both?

jayoldschool
06-15-09, 04:15 PM
You don't have to remove either, but the starter is on the passenger side if you want a little more clearance when you sliding under...

CaddyChillin77777
06-15-09, 08:04 PM
Ok yeah, I realized I didn't have to removed either as I just came under from the front side. Too bad I'm an idiot and took off the drivers side one haha :D. Anyways I swapped em, and the car works now. Nothing like a nice convertible cruise in the summer evening...

But thanks anyways Jay.

Lee

jayoldschool
06-16-09, 11:56 AM
Glad to help! Take some new pics... you know we all love that car :D