: Official STS Lockpick Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

tomm
05-22-09, 02:51 PM
Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

http://69.5.169.94/STS-Lockpick-Harness.jpg

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/STS%20INSTALL%20AND%20DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.

trackbait
05-22-09, 03:49 PM
TOMM...

Nice update and consolidation of some really good info.

Just for clarification, on the 07 - 08 WITH mute button, do not need the Modified version, correct? And.. thus, the photo will look different for those that do not need the 'modified' harness, ...yes ?

And, on an unmodified lockpick unit (07's 08's), are all the dip switches still left in off position or is the last one in the on position (as coastaltech's vid implies), nor a connecton to the GPS wire??

Thanks,

tomm
05-22-09, 04:12 PM
TOMM...

Nice update and consolidation of some really good info.

Just for clarification, on the 07 - 08 WITH mute button, do not need the Modified version, correct? And.. thus, the photo will look different for those that do not need the 'modified' harness, ...yes ?

And, on an unmodified lockpick unit (07's 08's), are all the dip switches still left in off position or is the last one in the on position (as coastaltech's vid implies), nor a connecton to the GPS wire??

Thanks,

Correct 2007+ STS units with a mute button will get a harness without the activation switch and no GPS connectors. Dip 5 on the Lockpicks needs to be on for these vehicles only.

craig.martell
05-22-09, 04:21 PM
Tomm,

One quick question. I have a 2008 with the mute button. I recently received my lockpick from you and it works great. However, when I installed it I noticed that there is a red "ignition" wire hanging from the harness. The directions didn't mention this, and I didn't know where to attach it. So, I just left it hanging. All is working fine, but I was just wondering what the red wire was for.

Thanks,

Craig

EChas3
05-22-09, 08:47 PM
I remember that. I just taped it off and didn't connect it to anything on my wife's 2007 with a Steering Wheel Mute button.

tomm
05-24-09, 10:31 PM
Tomm,

One quick question. I have a 2008 with the mute button. I recently received my lockpick from you and it works great. However, when I installed it I noticed that there is a red "ignition" wire hanging from the harness. The directions didn't mention this, and I didn't know where to attach it. So, I just left it hanging. All is working fine, but I was just wondering what the red wire was for.

Thanks,

Craig

Only on 2007+ STS units with a mute button will this wire exist. For normal operation it does not get used. Its just an accessory +12v source in case you want an additional 12v device to get powered with the ignition key such as when you hard wire a radar detector.

craig.martell
05-25-09, 11:53 PM
Only on 2007+ STS units with a mute button will this wire exist. For normal operation it does not get used. Its just an accessory +12v source in case you want an additional 12v device to get powered with the ignition key such as when you hard wire a radar detector.

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Craig

darrenw23
05-27-09, 03:38 PM
I have an '08 STS and have installed an unmodified Lockpick I purchased from Tomm's site. I have an issue where the lockpick functionality not only turns on/off when pressing the mute button four times, but also when pressing any other radio buttons twice, whether on the steering wheel or the touch screen.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? I have contacted Coastaletech, but have not gotten a response as of yet.

Thanks.

tomm
05-28-09, 07:02 PM
I hope others can chime in, When working on the Mod for the 2005-2006's I had access to a 2007 STS and there were no issues and the unmodified unit worked perfectly in the 2007's. Again, I hope others that have them can share their experiences since I personally did not use it on a 2008. We can always exchange it and if the problem continues with a new unit you might need a modded one which will work on all models.

When installing the unit did you follow the coastal unmodified instructions? Dip 5 on?

darrenw23
05-29-09, 09:53 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly. I did follow Coastaletech's instructions and yes, DIP 5 is on. I was able to talk with their tech support and they aren't willing to give me any support since I didn't buy it from them or one of their approved vendors.

Unless you have another suggestion, I would be interested in exchanging it if possible. Just let me know what you think the best way to handle it would be.

tomm
05-29-09, 10:54 AM
Just send it back to us and we will send out another unit. Please contact me directly so we can discuss swapping options. You can pm me or email me and I will give you all the information.

darrenw23
05-29-09, 11:28 AM
Tomm,

I tried to PM you, but I'm not sure if it went through. Since I don't have your email address, please PM me and I will send you my contact information.

darrenw23

trackbait
06-02-09, 10:09 PM
Got my lockpick today and installed it. Very odd... It works GREAT... only problem is I don't have to push the mute button 4 times. It seems to just stay unlocked.

Had a DVD playing when I shut it off to do the install. Got it all connected and prior to putting it all back together started it up and the DVD picked up right where it left off.. Put it in drive and it kept playing :confused: So, went for a ride around and it never went back into lock mode no matter how many times I pushed the mute button. All the other functions normally locked out also seem to work fine without having to do anything.

Not complaining.... just was not expecting this pleasant outcome. Did I do something wrong on the install? Verified all dip switches off excpet last one, which is ON as it is supposed to be....

Oooops - just discovered pressing and holding the mute button for voice command no longer works ??? WTF???

tomm
06-03-09, 06:07 PM
Got my lockpick today and installed it. Very odd... It works GREAT... only problem is I don't have to push the mute button 4 times. It seems to just stay unlocked.

Had a DVD playing when I shut it off to do the install. Got it all connected and prior to putting it all back together started it up and the DVD picked up right where it left off.. Put it in drive and it kept playing :confused: So, went for a ride around and it never went back into lock mode no matter how many times I pushed the mute button. All the other functions normally locked out also seem to work fine without having to do anything.

Per our conversation I will be sending you a replacement unit on Friday. Just keep that one installed so you do not have to remove the radio again. Once you receive the replacement unit you will just have to disconnect the old unit and insert the new one. All will be good. I will have the unit tested prior to shipping.

EChas3
06-03-09, 07:40 PM
Kudos!

jmv5150
06-06-09, 12:32 PM
I am a recent STS owner and have two questions that may have already been answered.
Will this harness work on a 2009 STS with the mute button on the steering wheel?
Will this lockpick enable entering information on the GPS while driving?
Thanks!

EChas3
06-06-09, 01:20 PM
I am a recent STS owner and have two questions that may have already been answered.
Will this harness work on a 2009 STS with the mute button on the steering wheel?
Will this lockpick enable entering information on the GPS while driving?
Thanks!

Yes, the Lockpick will unlock DVD/Aux viewing, Phone Dialing, & Nav Input while in motion. Did you read the following post?

Correct 2007+ STS units with a mute button will get a harness without the activation switch and no GPS connectors. Dip 5 on the Lockpicks needs to be on for these vehicles only.

tomm
06-07-09, 09:37 PM
Correct... The 2009 would fit the 2007+ category... If it has a mute button you just need the $235 version which activates from the mute button on the steerling wheel.

STScadillac99
06-23-09, 11:19 PM
heya Tomm, havent been on the site in awhile..i believe i was one of the first guys to get the lockpick waaay back when ya first started selling them for my 2005 STS.. anyways, i had to remove the unit at one point and when i did i broke the solder on the little relay...was hoping i could send it back to ya for a repair.. i would pay all shipping and whatever fee you needed to fix it..all i need to know is where do i send it?
thanks
Johnny

STScadillac99
06-23-09, 11:33 PM
TOMM, can you PM me response when you can..thanks..
Johnny

tomm
06-24-09, 09:52 AM
PM Sent, Yours was one of the earlier versions and I think yours even had a different harness. Send it back and we will fix it up for you. Dont send the lockpick.. Just send the harness.

trackbait
06-24-09, 10:09 AM
Just want to say kudo's and a big HI-FIVE to Tom for working to resolve an installation on my 2008 STS lockpick.

Had a few glitches here and there, but finally, nailed it! Went with modified harness, that way, to quote him "no if's ands or but's about it...the modified will work on ANY STS regardless of the year".

Actually I rather like the modified one better. No guess work on pushing mute button 4 times - seems confusing. Just flip a switch OF or OFF. Hard to get any easier than that.

tomm
06-25-09, 05:05 PM
I use the manual version in my STS daily and it works well. A few folks asked where to mount the switch... What I have done is just mounted the lockpick to the right of the nav and just ran the switch down and stuck it where the carpet meets the console bottom.. See attached.

Doing it this way there is no mounting and it will stay right there. If I bring the car to the dealer and I dont want them to see it I just slide the switch back up behind the console.

horta
07-05-09, 08:12 PM
Tomm

I tried PM but you box was full.

Hello, just to start off thank you once again for you great help in this forum. I purchased a lockpick from you about a year or so ago. It had worked perfectly and wish to thank you for that.

Well about two months or two ago I started up the car and the Nav screen did not come nor any sound. The white lights around the volume and tune knob come on but thatís it. No function what so ever, you cannot even eject the Nav DVD. Well after a quick drive the next time I started the car up all worked like normal.

About month ago same thing, but this time it took several drive "errands" and then everything came back on like normal... Well unfortunately last weekend it all shut down again and has not come back on.

All this time I was sure it was the Nav unit and not the lockpic, (I had never read of a failure) so I knew I had to take it into the dealer but first I need to remove the lockpick. I removed it as easy as I installed it but as I was connecting the factory cables and put in the grey cable the whole system powered right up...? So I finished the install back to factory and drove it for a week. Everything works just like stock. So today I went to the garage and attempted to re-install the lockpick...

I had FM radio playing and notice the stereo kept playing and screen stayed lit as I removed all the connecters until I get to the grey one then it all shuts down. So I figured this will be an easy test if I can get FM and power up the screen so I installed the grey connector first but no luck. Something has gone bad in my lock pick...

I have not opened up the black box. Before I did anything I wanted to check with you. I did check the 5amp fuse and it looks to be fine..

So any advice will be appreciated. Again I do understand this is not a product covered by a warranty so no worries there. If you feel I need to send it back for you to test I will and wonít mind paying for your time.

Thank you again
Jerry Horta
Hortaja@bellsouth.net
(954)214-6104

tomm
07-06-09, 11:58 PM
Jerry, The Nav screen not starting up is a common issue with the STS Navigation system and not necessarily the lockpick. This happened twice to my STS before I even installed the lockpick. I called the dealer to make an appointment for it and they told me its a common problem and if I disconnect the battery terminal wait 60 seconds when I connect it all would start back up. Sure enough it did.

Essentially when you disconnected the lockpick and reconnected the power cords you essentially did the same thing but you did it the hard way with disconnecting the power from the back of the Navigation unit instead of just disconnecting the power from the battery.

When re-installing the lockpick power needs to be completely off, By connecting the lockpick with the power on it will not get the needed GM lan bus commands and the navigation system will not boot properly.

If you re-install with the power off I would bet almost anything that everything will go back to working normal. You just needed to disconnect the battery terminal and leave everything installed for it to reinitialize properly.

horta
07-11-09, 04:46 PM
Tomm

Thank you so much. Yesturday I reinstalled it and it is working perfectly... :bouncy:

Thanks again for such an excellent product.

Jerry

jimd05sts4
07-21-09, 10:46 AM
hello tomm. i am having the same prob with my 05. i took the unit out for a trip to the dealer for a speaker prob. put it back and it didnt seem to work. Im going to try what was stated above. if that dont work as we spoke on the phone, can i pay to have it repaired or looked at. i really miss my options. thanks tomm you are the best.

ssstealth
07-21-09, 10:14 PM
I used the power port as a switch location... easily hidden but easily accessed.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/img103.jpg

STScadillac99
07-22-09, 08:53 AM
heya TOMM..
i sent my damagaged harness back to you. did you receive it?
let me know cost to repair.
thanks,
Johnny

cramer619
07-22-09, 11:22 AM
what does this lockpick do?

EChas3
07-22-09, 05:07 PM
what does this lockpick do?

A Lockpick disables the 'feature' that prevents one's passenger from entering navigation system destinations, dialing a bluetooth phone, watching a DVD or the whatever source is connected to the RCA jacks found in the center console while the car is in motion.

You still have to press 'I Agree'.

It's a beautiful thing. :D

carter's_sts
07-23-09, 01:06 PM
The only buttons I want to "unlock" are the Search button and the Audio button. When you play DVD-Audio disks, you need those to access the different groups of tracks that have the different audio types (LPCM, PPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS).

It's the only way to get into surround sound mode sometimes and they blank those out while driving. That is really stupid since this is no different than changing the radio station or CD track - bad design.

I wish there was another way; the lockpick seems kind of drastic and intrusive (especially under warranty).

I know a lot of people are doing it and it works great, so don't flame me too much. :)

VineTime
07-23-09, 02:23 PM
Is anyone still making the lockpicks for 06 STS's?

gdbradberry
07-23-09, 03:03 PM
I just went to order a Lockpick for my 06 and the site said Out of Stock. Will they be in soon or are they no longer available?

EChas3
07-23-09, 03:33 PM
Tomm has been doing production runs periodically. How many are interested?

K STS
07-23-09, 04:57 PM
I also need one for an 06.

TheYoungDon
07-23-09, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys I was able to purchase one for my 06 STS yesterday.

Hi Tomm, I just purchased one of your lock picks for my 2006 Caddy STS with mute button. I am unable to view the video link of the installation. Can you please help? also is this something I can do or should I bring to a professional? Thank You

VineTime
07-24-09, 10:43 AM
I think theres three people who want them so far but I need mine ASAP. I leave for Florida in a week and a half. I absolutly need it for th 2000 mile trip.

trackbait
07-24-09, 10:58 AM
is this something I can do or should I bring to a professional? Thank You

If you can hold a screwdriver the right way and have a 10mm socket, about 1/2 hour tops, there is no reason you can't do this.

There is no way to screw it up. Only caveat is the extra wiring harness makes it a bit tedious to push all those wires up and behind the nav unit into the blank space behind it to get it put back in.

There are no electrical connections you have to make. Truly plug and play. I did mine sitting in the car during a thunderstorm and pouring rain with engine on for a/c and was all done in 10-15 minutes.

TheYoungDon
07-24-09, 06:57 PM
Thank you trackbait. U guys trying to buy one for the 06 what kinda problem are you encountering? I bought mine on wednesday night.

VineTime
07-24-09, 09:00 PM
Thank you trackbait. U guys trying to buy one for the 06 what kinda problem are you encountering? I bought mine on wednesday night.

Where did you buy it from?

TheYoungDon
07-24-09, 10:39 PM
off Tomms store link. I must have purchasedthe last one b/c i tried today and said all out

tomm
07-26-09, 08:00 AM
Guys... Was on vacation and I only have enough time on the weekends to produce a few units with running a business, family time and having a baby christening this weekend. I set a limit of a few units a week and to prevent bad customer service I cut off the amount available so I dont oversell what I cant ship.

All units ordered the past week will ship tomorrow. We will also open up more inventory to sell later in the day and those if ordered tonight would ship Tuesday or Wednesday.

tomm
07-26-09, 08:04 AM
Hi Guys I was able to purchase one for my 06 STS yesterday.

Hi Tomm, I just purchased one of your lock picks for my 2006 Caddy STS with mute button. I am unable to view the video link of the installation. Can you please help? also is this something I can do or should I bring to a professional? Thank You

I just checked the link and it worked fine. Just click the link and save the file. Its 13mb so its in a zip format. If it does not work for you let me know and I will put a video up on the site in a streaming version.

ddanila
07-26-09, 04:11 PM
Hi Tomm,

I have a question about the lockpick on the Cadillac STS 2008 (assembled in Russia) - will it work on it?
I know that it should work on the same Caddy built in US but I am not sure about Russian version (it should not have any differences from the US versionb but I can't state this for sure).

Thanks,
-- Dan

tomm
07-26-09, 10:04 PM
Hi Tomm,

I have a question about the lockpick on the Cadillac STS 2008 (assembled in Russia) - will it work on it?
I know that it should work on the same Caddy built in US but I am not sure about Russian version (it should not have any differences from the US versionb but I can't state this for sure).

Thanks,
-- Dan

I could only assume they use the same navigation unit in the US models but honestly I have no knowledge of the STS vehicles built overseas.

harnage
07-26-09, 10:24 PM
I thought I recalled reading somewhere that this only disabled speed sensor for 60 seconds? I have a 2007 STS and with this installed, after pressing the mute button 4 times I am good to go until I turn the car off next time?

thanks

tomm
07-27-09, 07:32 AM
I thought I recalled reading somewhere that this only disabled speed sensor for 60 seconds? I have a 2007 STS and with this installed, after pressing the mute button 4 times I am good to go until I turn the car off next time?

thanks

Many times it will stay engaged until you press the mute button 4x again so in some cases when you start the vehicle again it still might be engaged. For vehicles without the mute button or the 2005-2006 models they come with a switch which is either on or off.

EChas3
07-28-09, 11:21 PM
My wife didn't like her Lockpick sometimes being on when starting her car. It works great but I don't need it. Any interest?

widmann@hotmail.com
07-30-09, 07:49 AM
Echase3 sent you a PM

TheYoungDon
08-07-09, 06:25 PM
Hey Tomm, I purchased a lock pick from you about 2 weeks ago and installed it this past weekend. It was for an 06 STS with Mute button. It works just fine except for a few glitches I have the manuel switch yet still have to push the mute button 4 times for it to work. But my main problem is my GPS is not functioning now. I watched the install video where it said it would come back after 10 mins but mine never did, please advise.

tomm
08-10-09, 08:53 AM
Hey Tomm, I purchased a lock pick from you about 2 weeks ago and installed it this past weekend. It was for an 06 STS with Mute button. It works just fine except for a few glitches I have the manuel switch yet still have to push the mute button 4 times for it to work. But my main problem is my GPS is not functioning now. I watched the install video where it said it would come back after 10 mins but mine never did, please advise.

You have the wrong Dip settings.. Read the first page of this thread. The video shows installation in a 2007+ and you followed the dip settings in the video not the settings for the 2005-2006 units. The first page of this thread explains all the settings.

To change the settings the lockpick needs to be disconnected before changing the settings and then re-connect and all will work fine.

D_Lac
08-10-09, 01:05 PM
Silly question, do forum members get a discount on the lockpick?

MacMuse
08-10-09, 02:33 PM
> do forum members get a discount on the lockpick?

I believe the 'discount' comes in the form of knowledge that it even exists.

D_Lac
08-10-09, 03:03 PM
ooook well do they have a phone number, I'd like to order today but I need the part by Thursday, I'm willing to pay extra for the rushed shipping but I can't see to get a response through email.

EChas3
08-10-09, 09:58 PM
ooook well do they have a phone number, I'd like to order today but I need the part by Thursday, I'm willing to pay extra for the rushed shipping but I can't see to get a response through email.

Coastal spends more time on the beach than near a phone. You may never get any response. They do ship product occasionally.

Good Luck!

D_Lac
08-11-09, 08:25 AM
Yeah I get that impression from them thats why I went with someone else, its already been shipped and I'm getting it Wed of this week.

D_Lac
08-13-09, 02:53 PM
So I get a reply from coastal today about the lockpick fast shipping request I made on Monday, I wanted the product to arrive today. They offered to accomidate me but I declined seeing that I had ordered it from another dealer, received and installed it myself yesterday. My god their customer service skills are in need of serious work.

Anyway the product is in and seems to be working fine.

tomm
08-13-09, 05:30 PM
So I get a reply from coastal today about the lockpick fast shipping request I made on Monday, I wanted the product to arrive today. They offered to accomidate me but I declined seeing that I had ordered it from another dealer, received and installed it myself yesterday. My god their customer service skills are in need of serious work.

Anyway the product is in and seems to be working fine.

If you think there sales inquiries are slow you should contact them for service. Most of those calls will go unreturned. In any case I believe you purchased it from our site which would explain why you received it so quickly. Glad its installed and working good. 07's - 09's can be hit or miss, Most of the time they work well and there are no issues and sometimes the unmodified units refuse to work in some of them.

gdbradberry
08-13-09, 10:33 PM
tomm:

I received the Lockpick yesterday and installed it today. So far, after 2 hours, the GPS won't come back online.

Sometimes the movie will stop playing when I turn the Lockpick off (when in Drive), other times, it continues to just play.

I double checked the dip switches, all set to up. 2006 STS.

Any ideas? Thanks.

tomm
08-14-09, 12:43 AM
With a modified lockpick video will always play out of park and in drive but the video will cut off after 8MPH. This means that it is working as it should be because the lockpick is bypassing the GM LAN command that you are you have shifted out of park. The next thing the GPS unit does is it check the VSS and GPS signal to see if you are moving and once you hit 8 MPH these backup locks kick in.

On the modifed lockpick the video will continue to work after the 8 MPH and will continue to work until the switch is turned off.

The GPS Signal however can take as little as one minute to re-calibrate you and I have seen mine take as long as 15 minutes depending on the signal to re-calibrate you. The unit requires signal from 3 different satellites to do this.

If after driving you do not see the GPS Signal come back and the lockpick button is in the off position (Button Out) you need to check the pink GPS connectors to make sure they are connected properly and inserted all the way in and locked into place. Also check to make sure the center pin on the gps connectors is straight in the center. We have seen some bend when inserted on an angle.

gdbradberry
08-14-09, 01:47 PM
With a modified lockpick video will always play out of park and in drive but the video will cut off after 8MPH. This means that it is working as it should be because the lockpick is bypassing the GM LAN command that you are you have shifted out of park. The next thing the GPS unit does is it check the VSS and GPS signal to see if you are moving and once you hit 8 MPH these backup locks kick in.

On the modifed lockpick the video will continue to work after the 8 MPH and will continue to work until the switch is turned off.

The GPS Signal however can take as little as one minute to re-calibrate you and I have seen mine take as long as 15 minutes depending on the signal to re-calibrate you. The unit requires signal from 3 different satellites to do this.

If after driving you do not see the GPS Signal come back and the lockpick button is in the off position (Button Out) you need to check the pink GPS connectors to make sure they are connected properly and inserted all the way in and locked into place. Also check to make sure the center pin on the gps connectors is straight in the center. We have seen some bend when inserted on an angle.

Got it. It all appears to be working perfectly, now. GPS came back online about 1/2 way to work this morning.

Thanks!!!!

notso1951
09-09-09, 12:15 PM
I'm a new 06 STS owner and have been following the on going discussion about lock picks. Here's my question----what does the lock pick do? From what I can figure out by reading alot of threads it allows you to play DVD and have full use of navigation while driving. Is this correct? If so and if I order one who could I get to install this in my car being the electronic dummy that I am! In advance thanks for anyone that will offer the info I request.--Dave

ssstealth
09-09-09, 02:25 PM
Take note when you are driving. Any button that "grays out" once you start moving will be available after the lockpick is installed.

ChrisHall
09-09-09, 02:40 PM
How does one view the MP4 installation instructions on sheet 1 of this forum?

Cheers,
Chris

MacMuse
09-09-09, 03:53 PM
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

clear the checkmarked boxes, and you don't need the Pro version. The free version will be fine.

trackbait
09-10-09, 10:03 PM
who could I get to install this in my car being the electronic dummy that I am! In advance thanks for anyone that will offer the info I request.--Dave

Righty tighty, lefty loosey with a 10 mm socket. You can do that. If you can plug in a light to a wall socket, you can do this install. There is nothing difficult about the "electornics" - it's all plug and play - you can't hook it up wrong unless you are blind. All are color matched.

The hardest part (if you want to call it hard) is fitting all the extra wire back behind the unit so it will go back in flush. A fifteen minute job, max!

The most 'sensitive' part you will encounter is the GPS antenna connection and wire. It's obvious which one it is.

Joe Pagano
09-10-09, 11:33 PM
So if I put one in my 05 I would keep the switch off until I needed to access the "grayed out" features. And once I do that I would loose my satellite signal, correct? Then my GPS would re initilize once I put the switch back to off?
Now, the site tells me that they are out of stock. When can we make a purchase?
Thank you for the very informative information and this most welcomed mod............................. Joe

tomm
09-11-09, 07:25 AM
So if I put one in my 05 I would keep the switch off until I needed to access the "grayed out" features. And once I do that I would loose my satellite signal, correct? Then my GPS would re initilize once I put the switch back to off?
Thank you for the very informative information and this most welcomed mod............................. Joe

Yes, You are correct in how it operates. We have the parts in stock and if ordered today or tomorrow it would ship on Monday. We have corrected the backorder issue on the website.

EChas3
09-11-09, 09:08 PM

XM Radio will continue to work just fine. With the Lockpick engaged, your Nav will get lost but just disengage the Lockpick and it will find itself in a bit. It's a fine trade-off and Tom's a quality guy.

Joe Pagano
09-15-09, 12:55 AM
Tomm,
Just ordered my LockPick (05 STS) on your site. Looking forward to the upgrade. But a quick question. That switch I need, can you post a close up of it? I want to prepare the install and decide where I will mount that switch and if I need to find one other than the one supplied based on the location I plan to place it.
Thanks very much.................................... Joe P

tomm
09-15-09, 07:06 AM
Tomm,
Just ordered my LockPick (05 STS) on your site. Looking forward to the upgrade. But a quick question. That switch I need, can you post a close up of it? I want to prepare the install and decide where I will mount that switch and if I need to find one other than the one supplied based on the location I plan to place it.
Thanks very much.................................... Joe P

Great, Just note it has to be built and we will have it made and shipped within 2-3 business days. You will have it before the weekend.

Take a look at post 23 for a detailed picture of the activation switch and our recommended location:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/170225-official-sts-lockpick-thread-2.html

Joe Pagano
09-15-09, 01:25 PM
So is it that round rocker type mounted in the power port or the small red push type tucked in the crevace of the console tower and rug?
And thanks again.................. Joe

ChrisHall
09-19-09, 07:41 PM
Just installed my lock pick.

Couple problems.

GPS thinks I'm about 20 miles east of my actual position and clock is not displaying time at all. GPS symbol after 1.5 hours still has a line through it.

Cheers,
Chris

EChas3
09-19-09, 09:36 PM
Did you mess with the switches? Tomm generally sends them out ready to go.

ChrisHall
09-20-09, 07:44 AM
Didn't mess with the dip switches, but....

I took it out this morning and noticed I hadn't reconnected the single wire pink plug. Once I plugged this in, right away the clock started working and within 5 minutes the GPS with a line through it disappeared.

Problem solved.

What through me off was that the Nav system while I was driving was moving. Just not showing me in the right location.

Haven't had a chance to fully test unit yet, but I'm sure it's working properly.

Cheers,
Chris

Joe Pagano
09-20-09, 06:45 PM
Welll even though you failed to connect the direct antenna connection the unit will still capture some amount of signal. And in navigation you need to aquire at least
a few satellites to get a proper fix. Glad you solved it. I am waiting for my LockPick to be delivered. Wish it would have come yesterday before this trip we are on.
Joe P

EChas3
09-23-09, 10:23 PM
Joe, I think you might not have considered the integration of the VSS into the Nav. If all he was missing was the GPS antenna, it got zero, zip, nada signal. It doesn't pull in the GPS all that great when all is perfect! I think the Nav was just registering the VSS.

Chris, welcome to the happy community of Lockpick users.

Joe Pagano
09-23-09, 11:35 PM
Chas, great point. I got back to town today and found my LockPick delivered. Did the install, and yes, tucking the wires was a pain. I also mounted the switch on the face of the trim panel. Tested the unit real quick and with the switch depressed I had full phone use, also had no time to test video. But, my line through GPS did not go away after 20 - 30 minutes. Was too busy tonight and we used the CTS. Made a quick call to Tomm and he assured me it will come back. Fingers crossed, test drive in AM and I will post.................... stay tuned................ thanks........... Joe P

Joe Pagano
09-24-09, 12:33 PM
All is well, LockPick works just fine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Next - chrome wheels !!!!!!!!!!
Joe P

ChrisHall
09-28-09, 04:38 PM
Hi all,

When I first start the car the DIC says "Stability Competitive Mode" and the "TC" light is lit. After a couple seconds the DIC switches to "Stability Sys Off". After 20 more seconds, the "TC" light turns off by it self, but the "Stablity SYS Off" remains on the DIC. I can turn on the "Stability Sys".

My manual says if I install any aftermarket stuff in car things like this could maybe happen. This only started showing up after I installed my "Lock Pick". Could this "Lock Pick" be interferring with something in the computor?

Please help,
Chris

tomm
09-28-09, 04:46 PM
The lockpick does not do anything other that interrupt the GPS Signal and VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor wire for the Nav) - The two have nothing to do with any TC or Stability Systems.

BucShot
09-30-09, 02:41 PM
Tomm,

I got my unit today and had it install in abour an hour. Works PERFECTLY and just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!

BucShot

sts4ga
09-30-09, 09:35 PM
Tomm,

I'm interested in a lockpick and a Blinder M47. I noticed that your site only lists the M45. Are you going to carry the 47 in the future?

Thanks

ChrisHall
10-01-09, 07:42 AM
Hi Tomm,

Is it possible the VSS interacts with the Tracsion Control? I removed Lock Pick and now the TC button works. I will leave Lock Pick out for a week and see if problem comes back. Then re-install Lock Pick.

Chris

tomm
10-07-09, 09:53 PM
Tomm,

I'm interested in a lockpick and a Blinder M47. I noticed that your site only lists the M45. Are you going to carry the 47 in the future?

Thanks

Please PM me and I can get you a special price on the Blinder M47, They are in transit to us and we should have them in the next 1-2 days. Sorry for the late response but I was on vacation.

tomm
10-07-09, 09:55 PM
Hi Tomm,

Is it possible the VSS interacts with the Tracsion Control? I removed Lock Pick and now the TC button works. I will leave Lock Pick out for a week and see if problem comes back. Then re-install Lock Pick.

Chris

The lockpick device is directional, It only changes information in the GM Lan going to the navigation. Its probably just a coincidence that they happened almost at the same time.

Joe Pagano
10-07-09, 10:55 PM
Hey Tomm,
Did you ever get more info on the video output for the Nav screen to tap for external monitors? My headrest units will be delivered tomorrow and I would enjoy the cool factor of sending the dash display to those screens.
And I thank you also for the LockPick and quick service.
Joe P

tomm
10-08-09, 06:30 AM
Hey Tomm,
Did you ever get more info on the video output for the Nav screen to tap for external monitors? My headrest units will be delivered tomorrow and I would enjoy the cool factor of sending the dash display to those screens.
And I thank you also for the LockPick and quick service.
Joe P

There are no video outputs on the STS Navigation unit, It only has inputs. What I had to do in my STS was add an additional DVD player in my glove box which powers my rear headrests. I also have an output from the additional DVD player going to the AUX inputs on the navigation unit so the video can be seen on all three displays at the same time or just the rear.

STE_6000
10-08-09, 07:29 AM
I don't mean to go off topic here, but tomm i have to compliment you. you keep your product to this single post this whole time, instead of doing multiple postings. it actually makes it an enjoyment to come to this forum and not get a lot of commercial topic flooding. and surprisingly, i always seem to read this cause its all in one posting. ty for keeping it all in one topic :D

PGA2B
10-09-09, 01:14 PM
Tomm- On a 2006 STS V w/mute button which model do I need? As I understand it the unit I need is the one that deos not need to be modified with a switch, correct?

tomm
10-09-09, 01:20 PM
Tomm- On a 2006 STS V w/mute button which model do I need? As I understand it the unit I need is the one that deos not need to be modified with a switch, correct?

Incorrect... ALL 2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button need a modified unit with the manual activation switch.

There were changes in the GM Lan on 2007+ units so only 2007+ STS's with a mute button do not need the modified unit.

snum1fan
10-09-09, 01:27 PM
Hey Tomm,

On the bestradardetectors web site, when you look up STS lockpick, and where it says 2005-2006 model lockpicks are made when ordered.

Are those modified lockpicks? Is that why they are made to order?

If I order one of those for a 2005-2006 model lockpicks will it come already modified?

Thanks

tomm
10-09-09, 01:35 PM
Correct... Those are the modifed units and once you purchase it the unit will get produced. I usually only make the modified units on the weekends when I have time but If someone orders one in the beginning of the week (Monday or Tuesday) I try to get it made mid week for them.

If you ordered it today the unit would ship on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday and the carriers are closed.

With a family which includes 3 children I never have time to pre-make these units since it takes me over an hour to do each mod and my time is scarce so I have decided to make them only when ordered.

snum1fan
10-09-09, 01:53 PM
I already had ordered it and spoke with a rep today. It is to be shipped today. Just like you said I ordered it in the beginning of the week and it is shipping today.

I just wanted to make sure it was the modded one.

Thank You

tomm
10-09-09, 05:24 PM
Yes, I recall making your unit on Wednesday but UPS missed picking up a few packages last night so it went out today. If I remember correctly you are the one who installed the navigation unit into your non navigation STS? Let me know how the install goes.

snum1fan
10-09-09, 05:47 PM
Yea that's me.

I paid for over night shipping so it should be here tom.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get it.

Heath
10-10-09, 07:03 PM
Tomm, how do I go about ordering a unit for an 06 V , and when installed on my car will it make only the movie show up with no buttons on the screen? Thanks!

EChas3
10-10-09, 08:08 PM
Tomm, how do I go about ordering a unit for an 06 V , and when installed on my car will it make only the movie show up with no buttons on the screen? Thanks!

Just touch anywhere else on the screen to hide the buttons. Tomm's site usually allows orders.

Heath
10-10-09, 10:18 PM
What is his site?

EChas3
10-10-09, 10:37 PM
Look at the first post of this thread.

snum1fan
10-10-09, 10:38 PM
www.bestradardetectors.net

snum1fan
10-10-09, 10:39 PM
Type "lockpick" into the search box on the top left side of Tomm's site. It will bring you to the STS lockpick, then you select which year you want.

tomm
10-11-09, 07:56 AM
Yea that's me.

I paid for over night shipping so it should be here tom.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get it.

Overnight with UPS on Friday is a delivery on Monday, Sorry if you were expecting it on Saturday. UPS only counts business days in their shipping calculations.

snum1fan
10-11-09, 11:26 AM
Yea it was sent next day air saver anyways

JackG
10-16-09, 11:33 AM
It would be great to see a price reduction on this. Anyone know where I can get this (much) cheaper?

tomm
10-16-09, 01:48 PM
Coastal sells the unmodified units for $249.95, (We charge $235) We charge $50 more than Coastal for a modified one. If you are looking for this unit for less you will have to wait till someone sells their STS and offers their used lockpick for sale. Even used it probably would sell for more than you want to spend.

Dewayne4608
10-17-09, 08:38 PM
Ordered mine Tomm,

Should be getting it in the next few days. Hope everything works well. Thanks for offering a great product.

Heath
10-17-09, 09:38 PM
It would be great to see a price reduction on this. Anyone know where I can get this (much) cheaper?

You must be joking right?

JackG
10-18-09, 01:48 AM
Why does that sound like a joke to you? Its just some wires and a harness... maybe a chip inside? The cost to produce seems like it would be $20 bucks.
Maybe I am wrong?

tomm
10-18-09, 08:18 AM
Why does that sound like a joke to you? Its just some wires and a harness... maybe a chip inside? The cost to produce seems like it would be $20 bucks.
Maybe I am wrong?

You certainly are wrong. Maybe you need to do some research and see what a lockpick does before you start talking trash like you know whats inside of one. There is alot of circuity needed to communicate with the GM Lan bus. This is not a manual device with some wires and "a chip inside" like you think. I would like you to refrain posting in my threads until you educate yourself.

Dewayne4608
10-18-09, 10:48 AM
Tomm

Don't get discourage about comments like that bro!

I have a 06 and I gladly paid $300 more mine.
The price is fine for most of us, We are caddi owners for christ sakes. LOL!

My only question was why is the 06 more than the 07. My 06 has a mute button on the steering wheel. I was not sure what to get so I just bought the 06 model for more.

Also with the switch that comes with it, can I just leave it on all the time and will it work. Or everytime I start the car I have to turn it on again. I guess I will find out shortly but if you got a few seconds let me know.

I am excited!!!!

tomm
10-18-09, 11:12 AM
Tomm

Don't get discourage about comments like that bro!

I have a 06 and I gladly paid $300 more mine.
The price is fine for most of us, We are caddi owners for christ sakes. LOL!

My only question was why is the 06 more than the 07. My 06 has a mute button on the steering wheel. I was not sure what to get so I just bought the 06 model for more.

Also with the switch that comes with it, can I just leave it on all the time and will it work. Or everytime I start the car I have to turn it on again. I guess I will find out shortly but if you got a few seconds let me know.

I am excited!!!!

There was a change somewhere between the late model 2006's and early 2007's in the safety checks that the navigation system does to see if you are moving.

In 2005 the navigation would get locked under any of the following conditions:

1. Vehicle was moved out of park.
2. The VSS detected the vehicle was moving through the speed sensor wire.
3. The GPS signal showed the vehicle moving over 8 MPH.

For 2007's this seemed to change to where the unit no longer relied on the GPS Signal to lockout if you were moving over 8 MPH so the lockpick only had to emulate 2 functions instead of three.

The modifed unit for 2005's and 2006's also includes a GPS antenna bypass so when activated it will also disabled the GPS signal going to the navigation system. This feature was no longer needed after the 2007's were introduced and therefore they did not need the modified version.

If you have a 2006 with a mute botton there were some that said the unmodified unit worked and some it did not. There are also some folks that had early model 2007's which said the unmodified unit did not work properly so a change was made somewhere in between this time frame.

Remember that the lockpick works by tricking the navigation system to think that the vehicle is still in park and not moving. Therefore if left on you will have access to all of the locked functions but you can not use the navigation system for directions since it will show you not moving when activated.

Most of the time if using the davigation for directions I leave it off, If I want to make a call or use any locked fuction such as find a destination, make route changes, etc. I press the button to activate it and do what I have to do and when finished I deactivate it and let the nav re-calculate myself back to my route.

Dewayne4608
10-18-09, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info I totally understand now. You rock!

Heath
10-19-09, 10:22 AM
Maybe I am wrong?

Its a very well engineered piece of equipment actually. I would venture to guess it would cost more than $100 just for the plugs that are on the Lockpicks harness, much less to design and build the circuit board and tehn wire the harness up. I would think the profits are actuall pretty damn slim on a Pick.

JackG
10-19-09, 10:25 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post up and clarify a little on what these things are all about.

Heath
10-19-09, 10:59 PM
Its a very well engineered piece of equipment actually. I would venture to guess it would cost more than $100 just for the plugs that are on the Lockpicks harness, much less to design and build the circuit board and tehn wire the harness up. I would think the profits are actuall pretty damn slim on a Pick.

I think that came out sounding wrong when I said "much less". I meant that sacastically. Teh Lockpick is worth the mone for sure and Tomms work to is probably covers parts and $20 for his time (and engineering) maybe.

Dewayne4608
10-19-09, 11:48 PM
Mine came today, and it works. At first I thought it didn't. but went together real easy and works perfectly, just need to figure out where to mount the box, was thinking about 2 sided taping it in the capartment over the glove box.

Thanks Tomm!!

Heath
10-20-09, 06:55 PM
I think that came out sounding wrong when I said "much less". I meant that sacastically. Teh Lockpick is worth the mone for sure and Tomms work to is probably covers parts and $20 for his time (and engineering) maybe.

Dang, I need to quit typing in the dark. :bonkers:

KM5BH
10-31-09, 08:58 PM
I admit it. I want it all.

I have a 2008 STS V8 and want to unlock the Nav so it can be used properly. I know about the LockPick and where to get that from.

I also want to add HD Radio and be able to use it with out doing away with the XM or Aux inputs. Is it possible and what do I use to make it happen?

I want to see the station and the program or song displayed that's playing. It needs to be compatible with the LockPick and I don't want to loose anything that I currently have.

Has anyone configured this yet? If so, what did you use, and who did you get it from?

Tomm, am I asking the right questions. Your opinion would be really appreciated.

What kind of money am I looking at?

And most importantly, does it work like you expected it to?

I tried this question in another part of the forum and never got an answer. I hope this works out better.

Thanks,

Lewis

EChas3
10-31-09, 10:11 PM
Hi Lewis,

I've done as you describe. I needed one of Tomm's modified Lockpick's for my 2006. An unmodified one will work for you. I'd buy from Tomm before Coastal, just because I'm a loyal sort. Tomm's a goodguy.

IMHO, HD Radio really isn't worth it but since the uPAC-STS (Pacific Accessories Corp) provides support for up to two expansion modules, I did get the HD-Radio to compliment the i-pod connection I really wanted. You will need a separate antenna for the HD because a splitter would steal 3dB signal from the primary radio. (Don't be tempted). PAC recommends using their unit for all radio because it will also pull in conventional FM. I prefer the Bose radio because tone settings are saved with the presets and there are so many presets. The A-G plus regular bands provide 54 presets per driver!

I had a spare temporary-window-mount cell antenna. I just have it in the glovebox with my i-pod and pull it out and fit it to the top of the passenger window if I need better reception. Between the manuals, i-pod and the little whippy antenna, my glovebox is nearly filled, but usefully so. PAC provides plenty of wire to pull out the i-pod. All modules & i-pod can all be controlled from the Nav controls & screen.

When you switch to XM, do nothing and after five seconds the uPAC may as well not be there. A little twist during that time activates an alternative source. The Nav screen display is not up to the OEM but is adequate on both. The total cost for all three was about the same as a Lockpick. PAC won't sell direct and may have stopped production of some pieces but they're still around and work fine.

I think some other vendors have also stepped up and offer similar solutions. I still haven't figured out how to display the manual .pdf's from the i-pod to the Nav display. When I do, I'll gain back enough glovebox space for a pair of gloves!

KM5BH
11-01-09, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the excellent reply. I'll order the parts this week and that will be my project for next weekend.
The lockpick is going in first. It is ridiculous not to be able to make a call or use the GPS while moving.

Thanks again, :thumbsup:

Lewis

tomm
11-04-09, 05:03 PM
Hi Lewis,

I've done as you describe. I needed one of Tomm's modified Lockpick's for my 2006. An unmodified one will work for you. I'd buy from Tomm before Coastal, just because I'm a loyal sort. Tomm's a goodguy.

IMHO, HD Radio really isn't worth it but since the uPAC-STS (Pacific Accessories Corp) provides support for up to two expansion modules, I did get the HD-Radio to compliment the i-pod connection I really wanted. You will need a separate antenna for the HD because a splitter would steal 3dB signal from the primary radio. (Don't be tempted). PAC recommends using their unit for all radio because it will also pull in conventional FM. I prefer the Bose radio because tone settings are saved with the presets and there are so many presets. The A-G plus regular bands provide 54 presets per driver!

I had a spare temporary-window-mount cell antenna. I just have it in the glovebox with my i-pod and pull it out and fit it to the top of the passenger window if I need better reception. Between the manuals, i-pod and the little whippy antenna, my glovebox is nearly filled, but usefully so. PAC provides plenty of wire to pull out the i-pod. All modules & i-pod can all be controlled from the Nav controls & screen.

When you switch to XM, do nothing and after five seconds the uPAC may as well not be there. A little twist during that time activates an alternative source. The Nav screen display is not up to the OEM but is adequate on both. The total cost for all three was about the same as a Lockpick. PAC won't sell direct and may have stopped production of some pieces but they're still around and work fine.

I think some other vendors have also stepped up and offer similar solutions. I still haven't figured out how to display the manual .pdf's from the i-pod to the Nav display. When I do, I'll gain back enough glovebox space for a pair of gloves!

Thanks for the reply, I have never researched an HD Radio module before so I did not have any info on it but you did a good job explaining it. I wonder if HD Radio will even survive, I used to hear advertising for it but advertising has seemed to stop in my area which is usually bad news.

EChas3
11-08-09, 01:54 PM
HD Radio is cheap for the broadcaster and gives them air time they can sell to lower cost/niche advertisers. The world of music is changing to the i-pod model. Radio and media sales need to find a business model that competes.

tomm
11-12-09, 09:58 PM
HD Radio is cheap for the broadcaster and gives them air time they can sell to lower cost/niche advertisers. The world of music is changing to the i-pod model. Radio and media sales need to find a business model that competes.

I agree.. Looks like radios with hard drives like in the CTS will be the future. I guess there will always be a market for broadcasters but it will certainly get more difficult in the future.

Maximln
11-20-09, 11:58 PM
I just wanted to offer a customer review of the Lockpick. I think it is the most wonderful device to ever be produced! I have had it I think going on 2 years & it makes driving my car so much more enjoyable. Anytime I have to do something that GM thinks I shouldn't do, I just flip my little switch & I can do anything I want!! The kids really enjoy being able to watch movies while driving & you know keeping kids happy is not an easy task! I keep my switch in the little "ash tray" so I didn't have to have it installed anywhere. That little compartment is not good for anything anyway so the switch is hidden when not being used & when I need it, it is only a push away! I would also like to give Tomm some kudo's for taking the time to make the product and for all the time he has taken in answering the endless tech questions that are asked as well as all the product support he gives everyone when something isn't working right. I cannot even imagine all the time this project takes him away from his family. We should also give some kudo's to his family for all the time this project has taken away from them!

It is also too bad when people feel the need to try to diminish all the work that Tomm has done on this project. If they only knew all the joy that it could bring them for the super low price that it is being sold for. Good luck trying to find anything else that works like the Lockpick. They will not find it for any price!

A VERY satisfied Lockpick customer!!

Max

ski_loose
11-21-09, 03:22 PM
Tomm,

I purchased and just installed a lockpick on an 06 sts. I tried to pm you with a couple of questions, but the system wouldn't let me. Could you please pm me so I can ask the question? Thanks.

Troy

tomm
02-05-10, 10:54 AM
Since we started selling additional lockpick modules for different vehicles we have negiotiated better pricing on the STS Lockpicks. Below is the new pricing going forward:

2007+ STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $209.95
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $269.95
2007+ STS units without mute button $269.95

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

sundazes
02-21-10, 07:24 PM
Tomm, I am in the process of getting an 06 STS that DOES have a mute button. I just want to be clear that I will need the modified one with the button, correct? Also is the button a toggle or momentary switch? Where do you recommend installing then button?

tomm
02-21-10, 09:18 PM
Tomm, I am in the process of getting an 06 STS that DOES have a mute button. I just want to be clear that I will need the modified one with the button, correct? Also is the button a toggle or momentary switch? Where do you recommend installing then button?

Correct, Very few 06's with the mute button actually worked with the unmodified units. The few that did work were very late model 06's. For guaranteed compatibility you will need the modified one which is guaranteed to work. If you look on page 2 of this thread you will see a picture of my 2005 with the override switch in our recommended location.

wrigley
03-24-10, 10:09 PM
Tomm

I just purchased a lockpick for an 07 sts with a mute button. The nav is getting lost sometimes without hitting the mute button. I think it is doing it with all the buttons on the steering wheel. Do you have any idea on what i can do to fix this issue?

Trent

EChas3
03-24-10, 10:23 PM
My wife's 2007 occasionally behaved like that. I think the Lockpick sometimes engaged when starting the car. If the electrical system is always on, noise on the LAN could cause odd behavior. Try checking to see if you find a pattern of its being on unexpectedly.

Worst case, ask Tomm for the on/off button modification.

STE_6000
04-20-10, 06:38 PM
how long does it take to receive a lock once it is ordered?

tomm
04-20-10, 08:12 PM
how long does it take to receive a lock once it is ordered?

Next batch of modified units will be produced on Wednesday and shipped Thursday.

ChrisHall
04-21-10, 11:17 AM
Hi Tomm,

Quick question.

After I engage the lockpick, Nav map doesn't update with my position when I'm moving. It stays put. When I disengage LockPick, the Nav map updates with my position and works OK.

Does lockpick have to be disengaged inorder for Nav map to update my position.

Chris

tomm
04-21-10, 11:21 AM
Hi Tomm,

Quick question.

After I engage the lockpick, Nav map doesn't update with my position when I'm moving. It stays put. When I disengage LockPick, the Nav map updates with my position and works OK.

Does lockpick have to be disengaged inorder for Nav map to update my position.

Chris

Correct. Lockpicks work by tricking the navigation unit into thinking that your vehicle is not moving. You cant watch a movie and use navigation at the same time. If you are using navigation and want to make a change to your route you need to just activate the lockpick and make your changes and they deactivate it and you will get re-calculated.

STSinBama
04-21-10, 07:12 PM
I just want to say a big Thank You to Tomm. Ordered my modified lockpick for my 06 STS 1SG and installed without problems. The biggest part of the installation is making sure the wiring harness goes back in to allow the radio to mount flush. Works perfectly!

I do have one quick questions Tomm. My 06 is a Feb 06 build. Not sure if that is considered mid-year or late build, but I have seen where you have mentioned late 06 STS and the 07's are slightly different, (in that they don't look at the GPS sats to determine if the car is moving). I know I still need the modified lockpick because I have no mute button, but I am wondering if I still need to connect the GPS antenna wire thru the lockpick harness? Would perhaps make the navigation not lose its position or it would not work because the car is still looking at the GPS sats for movement/non-movement. I know I could just try it, but I thought you might already know? I don't really want to fight routing the wiring harness again...lol. It did take a while to get the wires just right so the radio would go back in. That really was the hardest part of the installation.

Otherwise, works as advertised! Don't really watch movies, but I have already countless times had to plug-in a destination during my trips and it was nice not having to pull over for my passenger to input addresses or points of interest.

Thanks Tomm. Great job. Very satisfied.

taruin
04-22-10, 09:22 PM
Hey Tomm,

Just bought the lockpick on bestradar for my 2005 cadillac sts and the lock pick does not seem to be working. It did not come with a side gps wire or a switch and the # 5 switch is down. i was wondering if you could help me fix the problem.

STE_6000
04-29-10, 08:47 PM
tom, u said the lockpick lets dvd video work by disabling the gps antenna?

tomm
04-29-10, 09:04 PM
Hey Tomm,

Just bought the lockpick on bestradar for my 2005 cadillac sts and the lock pick does not seem to be working. It did not come with a side gps wire or a switch and the # 5 switch is down. i was wondering if you could help me fix the problem.

You ordered the 2007 version not the 2005 if if did not come with the GPS connectors and the #5 dip was down.

tomm
04-29-10, 09:06 PM
tom, u said the lockpick lets dvd video work by disabling the gps antenna?

It does much more than just disable the GPS signal, Its also disables the vehicle speed signal and sends a GM Lan signal to the navigation unit that you never put the vehicle in drive.

BooYaKa
04-30-10, 05:41 PM
hey tomm, I bought a lockpick from you back in 07 for my 2006 sts. I'm planning on trading it in for an 08 1sg. I remember you saying something was slightly different on 05-06 models and thats why I have a switch to turn it on and off, Question is can I take the one from my old car and put in in the 08 without the switch? What would I have to do to make it work using the mute button? Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

Scott

tomm
04-30-10, 11:04 PM
hey tomm, I bought a lockpick from you back in 07 for my 2006 sts. I'm planning on trading it in for an 08 1sg. I remember you saying something was slightly different on 05-06 models and thats why I have a switch to turn it on and off, Question is can I take the one from my old car and put in in the 08 without the switch? What would I have to do to make it work using the mute button? Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

Scott

You can use the same unit and harness and it will work 100% no issues. If you dont want to use the switch we can exchange the harness for you so you can use the mute button on the 08. Just PM or email me when you make the trade.

jmac660
05-01-10, 08:33 PM
Another satisfied customer...Mine works great and it was worth every penny. Thanks

andrewriccardi
05-02-10, 04:55 PM
Tomm i have a 2006 sts with a mute button bought one of our lockpins a few months ago and just got it installed do i remember correctly pin 5 should be like the others or should it be on.....

lreddiablo
05-04-10, 03:59 PM
Have one of the origional lockpicks from way back in Tom's first batch (or was it 2nd O got in on). Anyways about two years later and still going strong. Thanks Tomm!

Rotorhead
05-13-10, 12:12 AM
Tomm:

I'm ready to order for my 2008 STS V-6. I would also like a backup camera with it. Thought I read that you had this available, but can't find it tonight.

Let me know and I'll get my order in.

dbennett451@q.com

SRXman
05-13-10, 05:41 PM
I just want to say a big Thank You to Tomm. Ordered my modified lockpick for my 06 STS 1SG and installed without problems. The biggest part of the installation is making sure the wiring harness goes back in to allow the radio to mount flush. Works perfectly!

I do have one quick questions Tomm. My 06 is a Feb 06 build. Not sure if that is considered mid-year or late build, but I have seen where you have mentioned late 06 STS and the 07's are slightly different, (in that they don't look at the GPS sats to determine if the car is moving). I know I still need the modified lockpick because I have no mute button, but I am wondering if I still need to connect the GPS antenna wire thru the lockpick harness? Would perhaps make the navigation not lose its position or it would not work because the car is still looking at the GPS sats for movement/non-movement. I know I could just try it, but I thought you might already know? I don't really want to fight routing the wiring harness again...lol. It did take a while to get the wires just right so the radio would go back in. That really was the hardest part of the installation.

Otherwise, works as advertised! Don't really watch movies, but I have already countless times had to plug-in a destination during my trips and it was nice not having to pull over for my passenger to input addresses or points of interest.

Thanks Tomm. Great job. Very satisfied.

Tomm, I think I buried my question in my last post. Here it is again, if you have time to respond. Thanks....

My 06 STS 1SG is a Feb 06 build. Not sure if that is considered mid-year or late build, but I have seen where you have mentioned late 06 STS and the 07's are slightly different, (in that they don't look at the GPS sats to determine if the car is moving). I know I still need the modified lockpick because I have no mute button, but I am wondering if I still need to connect the GPS antenna wire thru the lockpick harness? Would perhaps make the navigation not lose its position or it would not work because the car is still looking at the GPS sats for movement/non-movement?

mxdxm
05-13-10, 10:14 PM
Has anyone tried the Nav-TV module for the 2007 and up STS? Anyone have any issues with it?

kschwed
05-16-10, 11:23 PM
What is the price for a lockpick for a February 2006 STS, with the mute button?

tomm
05-17-10, 03:09 PM
Tomm:

I'm ready to order for my 2008 STS V-6. I would also like a backup camera with it. Thought I read that you had this available, but can't find it tonight.

Let me know and I'll get my order in.

dbennett451@q.com

Because there is no factory backup camera option you can only add a camera and tap into the AUX jacks in the center console. This will allow you to see the camera but its not automatic. You would have have to select the AUX option in the nav menu to view it.

tomm
05-17-10, 03:11 PM
Tomm, I think I buried my question in my last post. Here it is again, if you have time to respond. Thanks....

My 06 STS 1SG is a Feb 06 build. Not sure if that is considered mid-year or late build, but I have seen where you have mentioned late 06 STS and the 07's are slightly different, (in that they don't look at the GPS sats to determine if the car is moving). I know I still need the modified lockpick because I have no mute button, but I am wondering if I still need to connect the GPS antenna wire thru the lockpick harness? Would perhaps make the navigation not lose its position or it would not work because the car is still looking at the GPS sats for movement/non-movement?

Yes, If you do not have the mute button you definately need the modified one. If you do not run your GPS signal through the lockpick you will still get locked out in motion.

tomm
05-17-10, 03:13 PM
What is the price for a lockpick for a February 2006 STS, with the mute button?

You need the modied lockpick which is $269.95, You can go to our site at http://www.BestRadarDetectors.net and in the search box type STS Lockpick.

STSinBama
05-17-10, 09:11 PM
Yes, If you do not have the mute button you definately need the modified one. If you do not run your GPS signal through the lockpick you will still get locked out in motion.

Thanks Tomm. Just the answer I was looking for. Great product! Great Job!

ddanila
06-24-10, 05:35 PM
Just installed the lockpick. Generally it works and it's great.

But we're also experiencing one weird problem. From time to time (quite often) during movement (without switching the gear) the screen blinks during playing video and turns from the fullscreen video to the video+buttons. Then I have to click on the screen to hide buttons. It's really annoying.

Need advice.

Thanks,
-- Dan

ozmt
06-25-10, 09:17 PM
Tomm,
i bought a used lockpick for my 2008 STS-V. I am having a strange problem with it maybe you can help me with. I certainly do not expect you to warranty it since i bought it used.
After about 5 minutes, it goes into "over ride" mode on its own. It is as if i pressed the mute button 4 times. Once i catch it, i press the mute button 4 times and it returns to normal again for about 5 minutes. It is really frustrating when i am navigating and i don't catch that it is in the 'over ride' mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

ozmt@msn.com

ddanila
07-05-10, 08:20 AM
Just to clarify - it blinks every 30 sec (I've measured) moving quite fast. If I am moving slowly in the traffic jam - everything is OK.

Tomm, I do need your advice. This is extremely annoying. Video is unusable when moving :(

-- Dan

EChas3
07-05-10, 02:03 PM
It acts the same as if you're touching the screen? Try tilting the screen to a different positions.

Is it every 30 seconds regardless of all other facors?
Worse on a rough road?

ddanila
07-06-10, 10:07 AM
It acts the same as if you're touching the screen?

Not exactly the same. It looks like:
1. Screen with "Picture not available when driving" message appears for 1/2 sec.
2. Blank black screen appears for 1/2 sec.
3. Menu playing the movie with controls appears after that.

All these steps 1-2-3 replace each other very quickly.

Is it every 30 seconds regardless of all other facors?

Yes. When I move quite fast, it's about 30 seconds regardless of all other factors. When I move slowly (in traffic jam) it does work fine regardless of all other factors again :)

Worse on a rough road?

It's the same on a rough road. Not worse.

tomm
07-06-10, 11:21 AM
Just to clarify - it blinks every 30 sec (I've measured) moving quite fast. If I am moving slowly in the traffic jam - everything is OK.

Tomm, I do need your advice. This is extremely annoying. Video is unusable when moving :(

-- Dan

Never seen this before. You also did not state what year vehicle you have and did not mention which lockpick version you purchased. Also what dip settings did you use when you installed it. And also when it comes to dip settings you can not make changes after its connected. All dip settings need to be made prior to connecting the unit.

EChas3
07-06-10, 10:43 PM
Is the Lockpick unit itself securely mounted to something or hanging loose?

ddanila
07-08-10, 03:16 AM
Is the Lockpick unit itself securely mounted to something or hanging loose?

It's securely mounted.

You also did not state what year vehicle you have and did not mention which lockpick version you purchased.

Sorry.
It's Cadillac STS 2008 built in Russia (screw-built, should be the same as the US model).

Naive question about lockpick version - where should I look to get one? I mean - is version printed/whatever on the lockpick body?

Also what dip settings did you use when you installed it.

AFAIK, default ones :) (yeah, I know that this is quite dumb)

And also when it comes to dip settings you can not make changes after its connected. All dip settings need to be made prior to connecting the unit.

This is bad. So if the dip settings are incorrect, does it mean that this will not be fixable? Are there any workarounds?

ddanila
07-08-10, 08:22 AM
Quick fix for my previous message.
Person who connected the lockpick said me that actually it was the following way:
1. Lockpick was installed with the default dip settings.
2. Car was turned on, then we realized that we should change the dips.
3. Dips was set according the video instruction in this thread without uninstalling the lockpick (with turned off battery of cause).

The only thing that I can say about the version is that this was a lockpick for STS'08 with mute button.

EChas3
07-08-10, 09:48 PM
OK - model is w/o manual switch. I wouldn't have a clue as to the differences in a Russian build. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few.

It sounds like it needs to be disconnected, the switches set and reconnected. Don't take any action until Tomm has a chance to post his observations.

Tomm is the Master. Listen, grasshopper & learn.

tomm
07-09-10, 11:24 AM
Quick fix for my previous message.
Person who connected the lockpick said me that actually it was the following way:
1. Lockpick was installed with the default dip settings.
2. Car was turned on, then we realized that we should change the dips.
3. Dips was set according the video instruction in this thread without uninstalling the lockpick (with turned off battery of cause).

The only thing that I can say about the version is that this was a lockpick for STS'08 with mute button.

What I meant earlier with the dip switches is that the lockpick needs to be disconnected when making dip changes. If you have it connected and make changes, the changes would not go into effect until its disconnected and re-connected.

For the 2008 it should be set with DIP 5 Down. I would check it and you should be able to easily disconnect it, adjust the dips and re-connect it without removing the navigation system.

I also dont recall sending a unit to Russia, Did you order it from us?

wyldefreebyrd
08-03-10, 09:14 PM
Got my lockpick yesterday and installed today. Works great on my 2006 STS. Also works great with iPhone and video connection in the armrest.

tomm
08-06-10, 04:58 PM
Glad it worked out for you!

rob3980
08-07-10, 12:56 AM
I got my lockpick instal was extremely simple and works awesome!

downingbrandon
08-17-10, 06:46 PM
Tomm, I just recieved a lockpick for my 06 sts about 10 days ago and it works fine except when the button is on, the GPS does not get a signal. I just took it out and verified everything was plugged in correct. The GPS will work if the button is disengaged though. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Brandon

tomm
08-17-10, 07:45 PM
It is working 100% correctly. In order for the navigation unit to unlock all functions the unit needs to think you are not moving. If you are not moving you cant move on the map while its activated. This is normal with all lockpicks and has been explained many times in this thread.

bamccoy
08-21-10, 06:17 PM
Never seen this before. You also did not state what year vehicle you have and did not mention which lockpick version you purchased. Also what dip settings did you use when you installed it. And also when it comes to dip settings you can not make changes after its connected. All dip settings need to be made prior to connecting the unit.

Hello Tom,

I have read the entire post before sending this, so please bear with me.

I have a 2008 STS built 11/26/07. I received my unmodified LP from you all last week. I installed it this morning (Saturday).

I’m having issues and would welcome your thoughts.

The DIP switches are correct, all off but #5 is on. I connected the LP last.

The first time I started the car it gave the disabled video at all times. Then after restarting it seemed to be on all the time. I could play a DVD while in park or drive etc.

After being out most of the day and 4 or 5 key cycles, I played a DVD for my daughter (without needing to press the mute button) and like the another guy on this board, the screen blanks quickly, then redisplays video with all the menu buttons on the screen. My wife or I kept touching the screen to clear them until my daughter just told us to turn it off.

I noticed on the way home my position on the NAV screen would not change from where I had been or would change and then stop again. I read the entire thread again and saw comments regarding the GPS signal being blocked while the LP was in use. I admit I originally thought this was only occurring on the 2005-2006 models, but see a couple references to 08’s doing the same thing.

I even tried pressing the mute button 4 times to shut it off but it still shows video.

Now that I’ve rambled on for a bit, here are the questions:

1. How can I correct the playback issues?
(Still an issues and occurs aprox 30 seconds apart) <== Edit day 1
2. How can I resolve the on/off issues so the GPS will show my position and I can use the Navigation system?
(After more controled testing, I verified I was able to turn the LP on and off now.) < Edit day 1
(Sunday: Unit turned itself on at some point during drive home from lunch. Noticed GPS was stuck again.) Edit day 2
3. Before I pull everything apart is there any direction on what I can do or what may need to be exchanged?

Thanks for your time. I tried to send a PM but I’m new to the forum and can’t.

Bill McCoy

I'm not sure if the harness could be bad on the unit itself. During the Sunday ride home from lunch the only button pressed on the wheel was the volumn. While parked and reseting my home position I noticed the radio would start to scan. I went back and saw the GPS was again disabled. I pressed the mute button four times and after a short time noticed it aquired its position.

downingbrandon
08-24-10, 12:49 PM
It is working 100% correctly. In order for the navigation unit to unlock all functions the unit needs to think you are not moving. If you are not moving you cant move on the map while its activated. This is normal with all lockpicks and has been explained many times in this thread.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't get the chance to read all 180 of the postings before purchasing. Great product nontheless and thanks for the prompt reply.

tomm
08-26-10, 05:21 PM
Hello Tom,

I have read the entire post before sending this, so please bear with me.

I have a 2008 STS built 11/26/07. I received my unmodified LP from you all last week. I installed it this morning (Saturday).

Iím having issues and would welcome your thoughts.
Sorry for the late response. I subscribe to this thread so I usually get a notification when someone posts but for some reason I did not get the notification. Please contact me directly so we can discuss your issues. 1-888-229-7594 extension 84. I will be in the office after 10:00am tomorrow.

Need a good radar detector? We have all the best brands at the best prices. Escort, Beltronics, Whistler, Cobra... http://www.BestRadarDetectors.net (Cadillac Members save 10% on Radar Detectors (http://www.bestradardetectors.net) PM Me for a coupon code)
Common Requested Links:STS Lockpick (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm),CTS Lockpick (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Lockpick_for_2007_Cadillac_CTS_p/ctslockpick.htm),Gen 5 Lockpick (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Gen_5_GM_Lockpick_p/gen5.htm),GMX-322 Lockpick (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/GMX322_GM_Lockpick_p/gmx322.htm)

TobyJohnson11
08-30-10, 06:23 PM
Tomm,

I ordered a lockpick from you over a year and a half ago for my 05. It has worked great with no problems. (Thanks again)

Now my XM radio is not working. It says no signal. I canít even get the preview channel. I called XM and they did a test and said it was defiantly something in the car radio.

I took it to my dealer (who knows about the lockpick and does not have a problem with it) and he wanted me to remove the lockpick prior to them looking at the radio.

I am not real happy with having to remove the lockpic, when I donít think it has anything at all to do with the problem. Anyway if I do have to remove it, since it was one of the first ones you produced, I was just wondering if there was anything new or updated out since I purchased this one. I would just as soon have a new one in case I damage this one taking it out.

Thanks
TJ

ddanila
08-31-10, 08:46 AM
Tomm, thanks for the reply.

For the 2008 it should be set with DIP 5 Down. I would check it and you should be able to easily disconnect it, adjust the dips and re-connect it without removing the navigation system.

OK, thanks, will try to.

Tomm, I also have one more question. In video guide the lockpick is connected to the working device - without turning off the power. Is this right? Or it's better to turn car/device off before connecting the lockpick?

I also dont recall sending a unit to Russia, Did you order it from us?

Originally unit was bought in US (not sure where exactly) then it was send to the friend of mine in US, then it was send to Russia. So it was a long queue of agents and I am not sure what it was exactly bought.

ddanila
09-01-10, 11:57 AM
Tomm, thanks again!
We've tried your suggestion and the issue with blinking disappeared. Now it works like it should to.

So we know now that lockpick does work with Cadillac STS'08 built in Russia. (and it should to cause it's just a screw-build version of the original US Caddy)

-- Dan

mosssa
09-04-10, 08:01 PM
Dear Tomm,

I really don't know if there is such solution? but I have been wondering? Why a hardware solution? Why there isn't a software solution?

I am wailing to pay for any available Software solution to unlock TV, DVD, Radio and Navigation functions while driving for my STS-V 07.

Thank you,

EChas3
09-04-10, 11:14 PM
The Nav OS is proprietory to GM and manufactured under contract by Denso. Their lawyers tell them to limit their liability in this way. Even if a GM engineer could get the code, 'liberate' it and modify it to suit our needs, they would be risking jail time to eliminate a $300 box. Why bother?

My lockpick works great. Why so anti-hardware?

mosssa
09-05-10, 10:28 AM
The Nav OS is proprietory to GM and manufactured under contract by Denso. Their lawyers tell them to limit their liability in this way. Even if a GM engineer could get the code, 'liberate' it and modify it to suit our needs, they would be risking jail time to eliminate a $300 box. Why bother?

My lockpick works great. Why so anti-hardware?

Good, but who said that I am asking GM to do it for me :suspect:? I am still wondering? Why there is no one up to now has a software solution?

What's wrong with hacked firmware? :annoyed:

Beside, I don't like to modify my stock, this modification should be done via software not hardware. One of my friend's owns Mercedes Benz and he did it within seconds via tool that updated the system!? also it's annoying that each time to activate the lockpick press four or three or what times required the mute button in order to activate it. Beside there are some side effects of the lockpick.

EChas3
09-05-10, 09:15 PM
Tomm's Lockpicks modified to use a switch work great. No negatives at all.

If hacking the firmware is so easy, do it.

TobyJohnson11
09-07-10, 03:48 PM
Hi Tomm,

I ordered a lockpick from you over a year and a half ago for my 05. It has worked great with no problems. (Thanks again)

Now my XM radio is not working. It says no signal. I can’t even get the preview channel. I called XM and they did a test and said it was defiantly something in the car radio.

I took it to my dealer (who knows about the lockpick and does not have a problem with it) and he wanted me to remove the lockpick prior to them looking at the radio.

I am not real happy with having to remove the lockpic, when I don’t think it has anything at all to do with the problem. Anyway if I do have to remove it, since it was one of the first ones you produced, I was just wondering if there was anything new or updated out since I purchased this one. I would just as soon have a new one in case I damage this one taking it out.

Please Advise
Thanks
TJ

glider
09-10-10, 01:54 PM
Lockpick was delivered 9/7 and just got around to installing it on 2008 sts 9/10 Works as stated and easy job after seeing video Thanks alot for great product and fast shipping.The only trouble was with the wires and that was because I didn't want to back into the house to find a flashlight After 3 tries and then getting light, positioning wires, was easy to insert unit into place
Thanks

tomm
09-14-10, 08:03 PM
Hi Tomm,

Now my XM radio is not working. It says no signal. I can’t even get the preview channel. I called XM and they did a test and said it was defiantly something in the car radio.

I am not real happy with having to remove the lockpic, when I don’t think it has anything at all to do with the problem. Anyway if I do have to remove it, since it was one of the first ones you produced, I was just wondering if there was anything new or updated out since I purchased this one. I would just as soon have a new one in case I damage this one taking it out.

Please Advise
Thanks
TJ

Sorry for the delay (Not sure my my subscriptions are not sending emails) But in any case the original STS Lockpicks were different but the methods are the same. We just from doing so many over time modified the harness slightly, used different relays and smaller relay housing. There should be no issue removing the unit and re-installing it.

tomm
09-14-10, 08:15 PM
Dear Tomm,

I really don't know if there is such solution? but I have been wondering? Why a hardware solution? Why there isn't a software solution?

I am wailing to pay for any available Software solution to unlock TV, DVD, Radio and Navigation functions while driving for my STS-V 07.

Thank you,

Lockpicks work perfectly as designed and leave nothing behind to show you modified anything. Besides it being illegal to modify the firmware in these units you also would immediately void your warranty on the head unit and also your warranty could be voided on any device that connects to the GMLAN Databus. Many units are Bricked when getting the factory firmware legit updates, Using a hacked firmware which no one would support anyway would lead to many dead navigation units and they are extremely expensive to replace. You will never find anyone hacking the firmware when lockpicks are the easy and sensible solution.

bamccoy
09-19-10, 06:28 PM
Hello Tom,

Finally installed with the modified harness. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks again for the help.

Bill

AirForce81
09-25-10, 10:28 AM
Tomm,

I installed my lockpic on my 05 STS and I am having a bit of trouble with it. I click the override button and it will display the video for a few seconds and then go to the screen saying picture not availble while driving. It will bouce back and forth between this screen and the movie. Not sure whats going on. Do you have any ideas?

bamccoy
09-25-10, 01:34 PM
Tomm,

I installed my lockpic on my 05 STS and I am having a bit of trouble with it. I click the override button and it will display the video for a few seconds and then go to the screen saying picture not availble while driving. It will bouce back and forth between this screen and the movie. Not sure whats going on. Do you have any ideas?

I have an 08 built in Nov of 07. Mine did the same thing in about 30 sec intervals. I’m now using the modified harness and all is well.

Tom explained my Nav unit may have been an older one where the signal keeps telling the Nav the car is in motion so it then switches off the video and immediately the lock pick tells it to play again. For me, mine would be playing the movie, then the screen would flash and the movie would come back on with all the menu buttons. I’d have to touch the screen to clear the menu buttons each time.

AirForce81
09-25-10, 01:49 PM
Yes...that is what mine is doing. Is there any fix for the problem? I have the lockpick with the override button.

tomm
09-25-10, 06:46 PM
On an 05 with the modified lockpick all Dip Switches need to be in the OFF position. If you followed the install video you probably set Dip 5 on but that is only for 2007+ units without the modified lockpick. If you have a modified unit and its causing this issue your dip settings must not be set correctly.

You will need to disconnect the lockpick from the harness and make the changes and reconnect it.

AirForce81
09-29-10, 09:05 AM
On an 05 with the modified lockpick all Dip Switches need to be in the OFF position. If you followed the install video you probably set Dip 5 on but that is only for 2007+ units without the modified lockpick. If you have a modified unit and its causing this issue your dip settings must not be set correctly.

You will need to disconnect the lockpick from the harness and make the changes and reconnect it.

Thank you Tomm! I will try give this a try.

tomm
10-01-10, 04:57 PM
Thank you Tomm! I will try give this a try.

How did you make out? Want to make sure its working for you.

AirForce81
12-20-10, 08:51 PM
Hey Tomm...I finally got to my lockpick this past weekend. Now I followed your instructions and after looking at the lockpick all dip switches were in the off position. So I disconnected and reconnected and I am getting the same problem. Its weird because if I adjust the volume or skip chapters it comes up with "picture not available while driving. Then if I dont mess with anything it will play, sometimes minutes at a time, and then just go to the Picture Not Avail" screen. Do you have anymore suggestions or is there something I could be doing wrong, or possible faulty unit?

tomm
12-20-10, 11:22 PM
AirForce81 please call me tomorrow anytime after 12 Noon EST. 1-888-229-7494 Extension 84, It will be easier to just troubleshoot with you over the phone than going back and forth in the forums.

1BadCadSTS
12-30-10, 11:58 AM
Hey Tomm, I'm about to install a upac STS with my lockpick. I believe they share one plug. Does it matter which order they are plugged in? Should the upac or the lockpick be plugged directly into the unit? Its an 05 STS with the modified lockpick obviously. Thanks!

tomm
12-30-10, 12:21 PM
Based on my quick glance on how the UPAC works my best guess is that it should not matter. My concern is the space behind the Navigation unit for another harness. It's going to be real hard getting the unit back in with two harnesses.

1BadCadSTS
12-30-10, 12:54 PM
Yea I fiured it wouldnt be a fun task but without XM anymore and the fact my 05 wheel doesnt scan presets its pissing me off the scan haha.

tomm
12-30-10, 01:59 PM
Before you do the install what ipod do you have?

Compatibility Notes: IMPORTANT NOTICE!

This product is not compatible with iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 4 (6-21-10).

1BadCadSTS
12-30-10, 03:12 PM
An ipod video and my itouch gen2 is still running older firmware, my father has the upac on his 07 STS and it stopped working with his itouch guess why, he updated his firmware and it no longer read it. Upac makes some update chip which fixes it but for 40 bucks. I just gave him another ipod classic i had and hes fine with that so now i have 2 touches and 1 classic.

EChas3
12-30-10, 08:44 PM
I think I've got it wired in the order NAV/Radio, Lockpick, uPAC-STS and car. Thanks for the pointer on the iPod OS.

This setup does make it even harder to reinstall the NAV/Radio. I found that I could hold the wiring (& plugs) in place with a couple long strings run behind the vents & frame members. Until I tried that, I could only get so close before something moved and kept the NAV/Radio from sliding into place.

<Laughing> I did break one of the strings when pulling them out. But it was still a victory!

sba300
01-01-11, 05:07 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to use a cable tie to fasten the new harnesses from the upac-sts and lockpick to the original cables? That way all the connectors going to the back of the radio will be lined up together exactly like the original harness. The boxes can stick to the side/back/top with a little all weather 3M double sided foam tape. That's typically how I have done it in the past. Looks like there might be enough slack on the wires that way, but I might be wrong. Just a thought.

EChas3
01-01-11, 05:54 PM
Try it and see!

I'd be interested in suggestions from other members, too. I wrestled with the extra connectors for much more time than I anticiapated. (One add-in harness wasn't hard at all. I found two to be a trick!)

esimp64
02-17-11, 05:39 PM
Just got my lockpick in today, installed it myself, Thank you Tomm works perfect....

tomm
02-18-11, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you had no issues with the install.

sundazes
02-21-11, 09:39 PM
Hey Tomm,

I ordered a 2006 modified lockpick today. Any idea on when it might ship?

tomm
02-21-11, 10:02 PM
If you ordered a modified unit it will ship within 2-3 days if not sooner.

nefarious35
02-22-11, 02:34 PM
I apologize if this has already been covered, but is there a version of the lockpick that has an integrated ipod connector that allows the radio controls to operate the ipod?

Thanks.

07 sts-v w/ mute button

EChas3
02-22-11, 08:32 PM
Nope. The Lockpick is not an Audio/Video device. Try the uPAC-STS or one of the other devices notes in other threads.

bbjorklund99
09-19-11, 06:24 PM
I recently purchased a lockpick for my 2006 STS. I received the modified lockpick because the 2006 requires the modification. I installed the unit per my instructions in the video. I removed the 2 connectors on the back of the radio/nav unit. I connected the harness to the back of the unit and the 2 connectors into the harness. I unhooked the GPS antenna and hooked up the harness to the unit and the wire I disconnected to the the harness. I mounted the button in my ask tray. To unlock the DVD, Bluetooth, ect I need to press the red button once. It stays bypassed until I push the button again. Everything seems to work as advertised except for the GPS portion of the unit. If I have the lockpick engaged I can change the GPS route while the car is moving but once I have an addressed entered I cannot use the GPS until I press the red button again. I receive a GPS with a slash through it until I press the red button. Is this normal or do I have something wrong with my lock pick unit? I left all the switches in the off position on the lock pick box as instructed for the modified unit instructions. It seems odd that I need to switch back and forth but maybe this is how it is designed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

tomm
09-19-11, 06:32 PM
This is how all lockpicks operate. In order to unlock all the functions the GPS needs to be tricked into thinking that you are not moving. If the navigation unit sees a signal from VSS or a signal from GPS that you are moving all features would re-lock on you. If you are using navigation and want to make a change on the fly or use the Bluetooth keypad etc. you need to activate the lockpick, do your changes and then disable it again to continue on your journey.

bbjorklund99
09-20-11, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the response. I got to thinking that might be the case but I had never heard people talk about this when reading the thread. It is really nice to be able to use my hands free bluetooth without having to stop to make a call. The GPS is not such a big deal because I typically set my destination prior to leaving the house. The ability to find a POI on the fly is nice when in a large city and I have someone else who can operate the GPS.

Relate27
09-23-11, 05:15 PM
Hey I am getting ready to install my lockpick this afternoon when I get home from work, sorry to ask this but do I need to disconnect my car battery before or after the installation of the lockpick? can the car be running while I install the lockpick or does it need to be off ?

tomm
09-23-11, 05:22 PM
Hey I am getting ready to install my lockpick this afternoon when I get home from work, sorry to ask this but do I need to disconnect my car battery before or after the installation of the lockpick? can the car be running while I install the lockpick or does it need to be off ?

No, You do not have to disconnect the battery but I would suggest installing it with with the accessory power off.

Relate27
09-23-11, 06:46 PM
Ok I could use a little help here. I am installing my lockpick into a 2007 STS With a mute button on the steering wheel. I am pretty sure I have everything hooked up correctly it was all plug and play really simple. Ok so when I start my car and move it into reverse the DVD stops playing, OK so I hit my mute button 4 times and nothing happens. I think maybe I have switches on the lockpick itself in the wrong position? Also I have a red button that came with my harness and from what I read the 07 sts did not need ones or am I wrong ? Anyway some advice would be greatly appreciated !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/lockpicksteering.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/lockpick.jpg

tomm
09-23-11, 07:04 PM
Ok I could use a little help here. I am installing my lockpick into a 2007 STS With a mute button on the steering wheel. I am pretty sure I have everything hooked up correctly it was all plug and play really simple. Ok so when I start my car and move it into reverse the DVD stops playing, OK so I hit my mute button 4 times and nothing happens. I think maybe I have switches on the lockpick itself in the wrong position? Also I have a red button that came with my harness and from what I read the 07 sts did not need ones or am I wrong ? Anyway some advice would be greatly appreciated !

If when you put the vehicle in drive and the DVD stops you did not follow the instructions and left all pins in the up position when installed. You probably watched the old install video which had DIP 5 Down. All 2005-2007 vehicles need the red activation button. You will not press any buttons on the steering wheel to activate and deactivate the lockpick.

If when you powered the unit on for the first time you had Dip 5 Down and made the correction afterwords it will not make any difference until the unit is disconnected from power and powered back on. So if all Dips are up (The way it would have been mailed) disconnect the battery for a minute and re-connect so it re-initializes with the proper settings. If the navigation system is still out you can also just disconnect the lockpick from the harness for a minute and re-connect.

Relate27
09-23-11, 07:08 PM
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I appreciate your time and help!

Hey I can't get it to work for some reason. I made a video that shows what I'm doing maybe you can give some more advice on what I am doing wrong Thanks !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvudjGNRCU

So the video is still uploading, but keep checking because it should hopefully help someone smarter then me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again for the help. I need a beer..Gonna button up the car for now and will get it fixed tomorrow.

tomm
09-23-11, 07:14 PM
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I appreciate your time and help!

Your welcome. Let me know if this solves the problem. With the modified lockpicks when you put the vehicle in drive the DVD will continue playing and will only lock out after you drive over 8MPH, If you press the red activation button the video will stay on no matter what speed you are driving until the red button is deactivated. When you press the button this is essentially disabling the vehicles VSS & GPS Signal so the navigation system thinks you are not moving.

Relate27
09-24-11, 10:17 AM
Ok so I am still having trouble here and I need some help to troubleshoot what's going on. Ok so first off this morning I went back the car and unplugged everythings and then hooked it all back up again, making sure all the connections were solid. I also pulled the car battery just in case that system needed a restart before the lockpick worked. So after doing all of that the lockpick still does seem to work ,so I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I took some more pictures this morning and hopefully they'll help, also the video I took last night obviously didnt load for some reason..

Okay..so in this first pictures I have the factory brown and grey cable pulled from the navigation and they are paired with the harness I was sent.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/connection.jpg

In this pictures it shows where I put the brown and grey plugs after connections. the brown one seems to be missing the pink lock but I dont think it matters because the DVd player works, just not when I put into drive even after pressing the button.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/hookup.jpg

This third and 4th picture basically just show the gps cables and that I hooked up those up too..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/gps.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/gps2.jpg

This last picture shows the lockpick unit itself exactly the way it came shipped and of course it's plugged in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/relate27/lockpick-1.jpg

So I get into the car the dvd players works fine, I start driving and picture turns off. I hit the red button that was shipped with the harness and nothing. Now when I hit the red button the gps does cut off in the navigation screen and I can enter a destination while driving, but for some reason I the movie won't play which is really what I want. Any advice ? I have the car basically unbuttoned for now so If I get some good advice it will only take a few minutes mess with it. Anyway thanks for the help !

nathanjax
09-24-11, 10:31 AM
edit: no idea...

tomm
09-24-11, 10:48 AM
You are doing nothing wrong. When you shift into gear no matter what the red button position is in the video should continue to play. The only difference is when you go over 8MPH the button will need to be activated if you want to keep the DVD playing. If this is not happening then the GM Lan communication filtering which occurs in the lockpick module itself is not working. Please send it back to me and I will replace it. Post office is open today so if you can please mail it back to us and let me know the cost and I will reimburse you the cost of the shipping and I will pay to send the replacement back to you.

Relate27
09-26-11, 11:36 AM
You are doing nothing wrong. When you shift into gear no matter what the red button position is in the video should continue to play. The only difference is when you go over 8MPH the button will need to be activated if you want to keep the DVD playing. If this is not happening then the GM Lan communication filtering which occurs in the lockpick module itself is not working. Please send it back to me and I will replace it. Post office is open today so if you can please mail it back to us and let me know the cost and I will reimburse you the cost of the shipping and I will pay to send the replacement back to you.

Thanks again Tomm,

I really appreciate the time you took to reply while I was having trouble with the unit. I mailed the unit back to you via priority mail on Saturday from the post office ,it was only like $ 5.50 so don't worry about reimbursing me for the shipping, It's no biggie. If you have any questions for me feel free to PM or reply to the thread, I check the boards here quite often.

mjs1992
09-29-11, 08:28 PM
Installed my lockpick today in my 05 sts. Everything worked fine but my GPS was not working. I pulled it out and checked all connections. Still nothing. Fiinally i surfed this thread and found my answer. The GPS is inactive when the red button is active. That is a bit of info that would have been nice to know 3 hours ago... How difficult would it have been to include that tidbit of info in the package? Just an observation. In the end it works perfectly. Thanks :)

tomm
09-30-11, 10:18 AM
Installed my lockpick today in my 05 sts. Everything worked fine but my GPS was not working. I pulled it out and checked all connections. Still nothing. Fiinally i surfed this thread and found my answer. The GPS is inactive when the red button is active. That is a bit of info that would have been nice to know 3 hours ago... How difficult would it have been to include that tidbit of info in the package? Just an observation. In the end it works perfectly. Thanks :)

This is not a Retail product and we only produce these units for members of this forum. It was discussed many times that lockpicks can only work by tricking the navigation unit into believing that you are not moving. The Early STS Navigation units had 3 fail safes to prevent you from viewing the DVD while in motion.

1. Once in Gear vehicle will automatically lock screen
2. If the first fail safe above fails the Navigation unit will check the VSS signal to see if you are moving.
3. If both fail safes above fail as a last resort the navigation system will check your gps signal to sense if you are moving.

This was lessened in the later model years (Seemed to remove the GPS Signal Check) which is why there are easier lockpick setups for 2008+ STS units without using a lockpick that does all 3 interupts.

In any case even if you have a 2008-2011+ You still can not use GPS when you have the lockpick engaged. I am sorry you did not see this information sooner. Glad in the end have your lockpick working properly.

Relate27
10-10-11, 04:09 PM

Tomm,

Just a quick follow up, I received the replacement Lockpick in the unit several days after sending the original back. The new lockpick unit worked perfectly and I just wanted to say thanks for taking care of the situation as quickly as you did. Obviously I know that Lockpicks aren't your main business and I appreciate the time you took to help troubleshoot my problems and also the Private messages. Once again Thank you from a very satisfied customer and If I am ever in the market for a radar detector you'll be the first place I go ! Jason

Maximln
10-19-11, 07:41 PM
Tomm,

I just wanted to start out by saying once again, you are the STS God! Your lockpick is an amazing device. I have had mine for years & it works perfectly! I have a friend that just bought an 08 STS-V & he would like to get a lockpick. I see on your website where he could order it (on sale I think for only $199.95!). The question that I have is that on the website, it says that the lockpick is operated by using the "Source" button on the steering wheel but here in the forum, everything I see says that you use the "Mute" button. Which button ends up operating the lockpick? His car has the heads-up display but does not have radar cruise so I think he does have the "Mute" button on his steering wheel. Also, when he does get the lockpick, just for clarification, all the switches will be up except for the #5 switch which will be down?

Thanks again,

Max

tomm
10-19-11, 09:41 PM
Tomm,

I just wanted to start out by saying once again, you are the STS God! Your lockpick is an amazing device. I have had mine for years & it works perfectly! I have a friend that just bought an 08 STS-V & he would like to get a lockpick. I see on your website where he could order it (on sale I think for only $199.95!). The question that I have is that on the website, it says that the lockpick is operated by using the "Source" button on the steering wheel but here in the forum, everything I see says that you use the "Mute" button. Which button ends up operating the lockpick? His car has the heads-up display but does not have radar cruise so I think he does have the "Mute" button on his steering wheel. Also, when he does get the lockpick, just for clarification, all the switches will be up except for the #5 switch which will be down?

Thanks again,

Max

Alot has changed in the past several months. The units we have always sold and modified were original STS Lockpicks from Coastal. The original Lockpick was a re-flashed version on the Gen 5 lockpick and a special harness made only for the STS model. GM has now standardized on two different connection methods which enabled Coastal to make universal units which work on multiple vehicles. The Gen 6 + GMX550 which works on over 70% of the GM Lineup and they will have a new unit coming out in a month or so which will cover around 20% of the other GM vehicles including the CTS (Finally) but since sales on the STS Lockpick were very slow and they would need to manufacture older units only for the STS the STS lockpick has been killed off.

The current STS unit that we sell for the 2008-2011's are not made by Coastal and there are no DIP switches. The new units also do not use the mute button for activation but rather by holding the source button down for 2 seconds. Instructions are with the new units and its completely plug and play and I have personally installed a few and there are no issues with them.

The current Modified Units (2005-2007) are running on a special modified Gen-6 and custom harness made in house. These will also be killed off soon because demand for the units is very low and they take me over 2 hours to produce each modified unit. I also test each modified unit I produce by installing it in my personal STS which will be paid off in 2 more months :thumbsup: and I plan on selling it or trading it. Once its gone I will not be able to test the units I produce.

So long story short... Your friend will have no issue with the $199.95 2008+ STS Lockpick that we are currently selling and its completely plug and play with no jumpers.

madmanmogan
10-19-11, 10:47 PM
Tomm,
Just wanted to say I love the product. Got mine back at Christmas time while the special was going on but it wasnt installed until Sept. It works flawlessly dont know how I ever did without it. Two thumbs up and thanks for doing the wiring work on your own time. I know from experience wiring work can take sometime.
Michael

Maximln
10-19-11, 10:56 PM
Alot has changed in the past several months. The units we have always sold and modified were original STS Lockpicks from Coastal. The original Lockpick was a re-flashed version on the Gen 5 lockpick and a special harness made only for the STS model. GM has now standardized on two different connection methods which enabled Coastal to make universal units which work on multiple vehicles. The Gen 6 + GMX550 which works on over 70% of the GM Lineup and they will have a new unit coming out in a month or so which will cover around 20% of the other GM vehicles including the CTS (Finally) but since sales on the STS Lockpick were very slow and they would need to manufacture older units only for the STS the STS lockpick has been killed off.

The current STS unit that we sell for the 2008-2011's are not made by Coastal and there are no DIP switches. The new units also do not use the mute button for activation but rather by holding the source button down for 2 seconds. Instructions are with the new units and its completely plug and play and I have personally installed a few and there are no issues with them.

The current Modified Units (2005-2007) are running on a special modified Gen-6 and custom harness made in house. These will also be killed off soon because demand for the units is very low and they take me over 2 hours to produce each modified unit. I also test each modified unit I produce by installing it in my personal STS which will be paid off in 2 more months :thumbsup: and I plan on selling it or trading it. Once its gone I will not be able to test the units I produce.

So long story short... Your friend will have no issue with the $199.95 2008+ STS Lockpick that we are currently selling and its completely plug and play with no jumpers.

Thanks for the clarification Tomm! I will let him know!

Max

triumph.man
12-29-11, 10:19 AM
Tomm, you still taking orders? I recently purchased an 07 STS w/ a mute button on the steering wheel, and want this feature on my STS...

tomm
12-29-11, 10:25 AM
Tomm, you still taking orders? I recently purchased an 07 STS w/ a mute button on the steering wheel, and want this feature on my STS...

I plan to make just a few more. I have one person on back-order for two weeks because he ordered right before the Christmas rush and I have had no time to work on these. I am off on Monday so I will do the back-order on Monday and if you order one I can have it made the same day.

triumph.man
12-29-11, 10:51 AM
Thanks Tom. What is the cost for the model I need. On your webpage there is only one version available for a 2007 STS. (doesn't specify w/ or w/o mute button) as this thread implies there are 2 versions.

Can you direct me to the proper link so I can proceed to order one. Thanks!

tomm
12-29-11, 11:01 AM
Thanks Tom. What is the cost for the model I need. On your webpage there is only one version available for a 2007 STS. (doesn't specify w/ or w/o mute button) as this thread implies there are 2 versions.

Can you direct me to the proper link so I can proceed to order one. Thanks!

Alot has changed since this thread started. There are only two models now. 2008+ or 2005-2007 now. Mute button no longer makes a difference since Coastal discontinued the STS Lockpick almost a year ago.

cadillacmike68
12-30-11, 12:39 AM
I WAS going to ask WTF is a lockpick, but i think i figured it out. it allows you to play DVDs while driving - correct? But you have to remove the radio to install it - also correct??

nathanjax
12-30-11, 03:38 AM
I WAS going to ask WTF is a lockpick, but i think i figured it out. it allows you to play DVDs while driving - correct?

It allows playing of DVDs, but it also allows full use of the navigation and bluetooth while driving as well

But you have to remove the radio to install it - also correct??

Yes, take maybe 10 min, all just plug and play.

joe hochreiter
01-03-12, 09:50 PM
Will your lockpick also come with iPod and HD radio wiring? Some models for the SUV does both, but I've not seen that available for the 09 STS.

tomm
01-03-12, 09:56 PM
Will your lockpick also come with iPod and HD radio wiring? Some models for the SUV does both, but I've not seen that available for the 09 STS.

No, There is no GMX-550, or any similar type of lockpick for the STS.

triumph.man
01-04-12, 11:50 AM
Hi tomm, I'm ready to order and just wanted a clarification.

I have an 07 STS with a mute button on the steering wheel. Can I go to purchase the 2008-2011 STS - (These models are activated by holding the Source button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds) as I've read on this thread that it can be activated through the mute button, or would I need to purchase the 05-07 that's activated through a manual switch. I would like everything to be incorporated from the steering wheel.

tomm
01-04-12, 11:53 AM
Hi tomm, I'm ready to order and just wanted a clarification.

I have an 07 STS with a mute button on the steering wheel. Can I go to purchase the 2008-2011 STS - (These models are activated by holding the Source button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds) as I've read on this thread that it can be activated through the mute button, or would I need to purchase the 05-07 that's activated through a manual switch. I would like everything to be incorporated from the steering wheel.

Unfortunately the answer is no. Unless you can find an old STS Lockpick from someone selling their vehicle you will not be able to get the 2008+ version. That version will not work on any 2005-2007's regardless of having a mute button or not.

tomm
01-16-12, 09:48 PM
Until further notice we are no longer accepting orders on the 2005-2007 STS Lockpicks. I have run out of all parts and interest has died down to a level that its not beneficial to re-buy the parts needed to produce any more of these units. The spool of cable used to make the GPS lines alone costs over $200 and it took me 3 years to go through the 1000ft of cable.

We will still of course continue to sell the 2008+ STS Lockpicks and since the STS has been discontinued we expect this product will also eventually come to an end probably in the next year or so. The STS was the only GMLAN 11bit radios and after 2007 everything moved to GMLAN 29bit so just about every manufacture stopped producing units for 11bit radios since there was only a small amount of users using these 11bit products.

EChas3
01-16-12, 10:35 PM
Tomm - Thanks for all that you've done for us. Here's to your continued prosperity, health & happiness!

Cheers!

MacMuse
01-17-12, 07:39 AM
Ditto tomm!

Hope you stick around here and stay in the Cadillac family.

tomm
01-17-12, 08:52 AM
Ditto tomm!

Hope you stick around here and stay in the Cadillac family.

I will be here a while. I sold my SRX and my STS is for sale but I am shopping for an Escalade.

EChas3
01-17-12, 09:32 PM
I've thought about an Escalade. I like the V8 but would miss ACC. Opinions vary.

PS: Macmuse reminds me... My best wishes to your family, too!

tomm
01-17-12, 10:09 PM
I've thought about an Escalade. I like the V8 but would miss ACC. Opinions vary.

PS: Macmuse reminds me... My best wishes to your family, too!

Thanks! For me with 3 kids my family has outgrown the STS. They squeeze in the back seat and with a car seat and booster seat it takes a long time to maneuver everyone to even get the seat belts on. My STS has been great to me and I have had 0 issues with it. The V8 is the most solid engine in my opinion. I am definately going to miss the ACC & HUD but even more important to me is the lifting the door handles to unlock and pushing a button to start.

EChas3
01-17-12, 11:47 PM
I agree with the entry & starting of the STS. It spoils a person. Isn't the Escalade due for a refresh?

Time to visit another room!

Chuck.
01-27-12, 06:28 AM
I have an 08 STS-V I assume this will work but just want to make sure before I order.

tomm
01-27-12, 07:58 AM
I have an 08 STS-V I assume this will work but just want to make sure before I order.
Yes, The $199 STS lockpick on our site will work with the 2008 STS-V with no issues.

tomm
01-27-12, 04:37 PM
Until further notice we are no longer accepting orders on the 2005-2007 STS Lockpicks. I have run out of all parts and interest has died down to a level that its not beneficial to re-buy the parts needed to produce any more of these units. The spool of cable used to make the GPS lines alone costs over $200 and it took me 3 years to go through the 1000ft of cable.

We will still of course continue to sell the 2008+ STS Lockpicks and since the STS has been discontinued we expect this product will also eventually come to an end probably in the next year or so. The STS was the only GMLAN 11bit radios and after 2007 everything moved to GMLAN 29bit so just about every manufacture stopped producing units for 11bit radios since there was only a small amount of users using these 11bit products.

Found a new supplier that will sell me smaller quantities on some of the parts I needed and I found a 100FT roll of GPS Cable instead of the larger rolls I purchased in the past so it will bring my costs down to be able to make one more batch. I will make 10 more units and that will be it. Every-time I shut them down you guys wheel me back in but this will be it. I have opened back-orders back up and the site will take only up to 10 back-orders on the 2005-2007 models.

DHerman
01-29-12, 09:41 AM
Found a new supplier that will sell me smaller quantities on some of the parts I needed and I found a 100FT roll of GPS Cable instead of the larger rolls I purchased in the past so it will bring my costs down to be able to make one more batch. I will make 10 more units and that will be it. Every-time I shut them down you guys wheel me back in but this will be it. I have opened back-orders back up and the site will take only up to 10 back-orders on the 2005-2007 models.

Tomm;

This is great news, I read through the whole thread only to find I could not get a Lockpick for my 2005 STS N*, which I just bought last week with only 18,000 miles on it. Looks like it just came out of the showroom. Ordered the lockpick this morning, great start to a Sunday. Look fwd to the install. Have had a Lockpick in my 2009 F350 Super Duty for two years and it makes all the difference. Thanks again for spooling back up one more time.

nathanjax
01-29-12, 09:45 AM
I have one for sale in the classifieds if you don't want to wait and want to spend a little less for one.

KingOfLacs
01-30-12, 02:28 PM
Anyone else have the issue with lockpick shutting down entertainment system ? Today drove for 30 minutes nav went dead no sound picture ect. Shut car off for about 3 minutes came back on for like 5 minutes. Shut car off 30 minutes worked for 5 more minutes. Drove home no nav no music got a 06 all pins off the one with a switch. Any feedback would be great.

Joe