: Odd noise from A/C system

bbshriver
05-22-09, 12:25 PM
Not sure how to best describe this, but sometimes my 05 has a faint "toot" sound (almost sounds like a supressed fart...) seems to come from the center console area.
It's pretty random, but it does seem to be tied to the fan somehow, when it changes speed, or something. Any idea what this could be, or is it "normal"?

R1chard
05-22-09, 12:39 PM
Not sure how to best describe this, but sometimes my 05 has a faint "toot" sound (almost sounds like a supressed fart...) seems to come from the center console area.
It's pretty random, but it does seem to be tied to the fan somehow, when it changes speed, or something. Any idea what this could be, or is it "normal"?

LOL, mine does the same thing and I've narrowed it down to:
1) when anything is changed with the climate control
2) the sound is coming from the front passenger seat

Yet, I have no idea regarding a fix :-(

bbshriver
05-22-09, 01:08 PM
Mine does it with no one in the passenger seat.. I thought at first it could be the leather/vinyl rubbing something, but it has done it when the car is stationary so I don't think that can be it..

amgqmp1
05-22-09, 06:10 PM
Mine does the same thing...but most of the time it's straight-up arse ripping...not a subtle "toot". ;)

It only happens when the A/C is on, and never with the climate control system running, but the A/C off.

EChas3
05-22-09, 07:58 PM
This is a known problem discussed in other threads and has a factory TSB. Get the dealer to lubricate the offending 'door' that controls airflow.

dhemrick
05-22-09, 08:44 PM
This happens when the recirculation door closes and opens automatically. You should be able to reproduce the sound at will by pressing the recirculation button on the climate control.

amgqmp1
05-22-09, 10:57 PM
This is a known problem discussed in other threads and has a factory TSB. Get the dealer to lubricate the offending 'door' that controls airflow.

Thanks for the tip on the root cause of the problem. I'll use the wonderful search feature to track down that TSB...then determine if I can do it myself...

Is the drivers door electronic lock randomly not working a known problem with a TSB too? (not being snarky, it's my latest STS oddity)

z06bigbird
05-23-09, 12:13 AM
Heck, if enough of us sign up, we can be ready for Christmas. We can come up with a tune called the "Cadillac Ode to the Sphincter muscle," in g major. I am sure that many many here have such talents.

R1chard
05-23-09, 12:45 AM

@EChas3: Do you know what is the factory TSB number for this issue?

Thanks!

cocaines
05-23-09, 02:49 AM
my car has been doing this for the last 3 years, i just learned to live with it.

amgqmp1
05-23-09, 11:27 AM
my car has been doing this for the last 3 years, i just learned to live with it.

In fairness, I'm torn between whether it's a bug or a feature. That's an especially difficult call to make when you've been in the software business as long as I have... ;)

This issue is in the FAQ...here's the TSB info:

Subject: Groan Noise Coming From Right Side of Instrument Panel (Install Recirculation Door Actuator Lever Service Kit) #06-01-39-009 - (09/29/2006) - Models: 2005-2006 Cadillac STS

bbshriver
05-23-09, 12:24 PM
Thanks! I'll get the dealer to check it out!

EChas3
05-25-09, 10:19 PM
In fairness, I'm torn between whether it's a bug or a feature. That's an especially difficult call to make when you've been in the software business as long as I have... ;)

This issue is in the FAQ...here's the TSB info:

Subject: Groan Noise Coming From Right Side of Instrument Panel (Install Recirculation Door Actuator Lever Service Kit) #06-01-39-009 - (09/29/2006) - Models: 2005-2006 Cadillac STS

Thanks for digging it out. I've been on holiday.

I think this is another STS Undocumented Feature.:shhh: