: How to remove oil filter adapter???

larryntripp
05-22-09, 12:19 AM
I'm trying to replace my A/C compressor on my '96 STS and have read the step by step posts on this. But I cannot figure out how to remove the oil filter adapter. I can remove one bolt and the two oil lines, but cannot find the second bolt that needs to be removed. Once I get the oil filter adapter out, I think I can access the bolts on the back of the A/C compressor, but without removing the oil filter adapter it appears almost impossible. If anyone can give me some advice on where and what the best tool to use to remove it, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm getting a bit frustrated with this, my car is undriveable due to the A/C compressor clutch freezing up.

Revision17
05-30-10, 01:15 AM
Not sure if you're still watching this thread but I ran into this same problem last week. If you have the cadillac repair manual (the power train book), you can see a diagram of the oil filter adapter in there.

Coming in from the bottom, as you saw the first bolt is easy enough to spot. The second one is sort of upward diagonal to the right side of the car. If you feel around for it, you'll find it. I was able to remove mine with a 1/4" ratchet using the same size socket as the other bolt.