: How to lock flywheel without $150 tool?

aac123
05-21-09, 07:01 PM
1999 deville need to set timing anybody know a way to do it without buying the 150 dollar tool that locks the flywheel in place? Can i just get a helper to hold something wedged in there so i can turn the crankshat to get it out?

clarkz71
05-21-09, 08:03 PM
Nothing easy, maybe an helper with a screwdriver?? .;)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/E-bay014.jpg

tateos
05-21-09, 08:38 PM
I installed a longish bolt in through the starter flange (with the starter removed) through the flywheel into the torque converter to lock the crankshaft to remove the balancer bolt. I think maybe it was an exhaust manifold or starter bolt, but not 100% about that. It did bend the bolt a little, and leave a slight dent in the flange, but I had some extra bolts.

I regretted not using my usual trick before dissasembly. You position a breaker bar and socket on the balancer bolt so the end of the breaker bar is touching the the ground or some sturdy part of the car - make sure it is facing the right way to loosen; then, just bump the starter a few times with the ignition coil disconnected and the starter does all the work of loosening the bolt.

Krashed989
05-21-09, 11:50 PM
Why do you need to lock it in place?... Are you removing the harmonic balancer?... I just used a pry bar in the hole where the starter goes. One person holds the flywheel steady with the breaker bar and the other loosens the 19mm bolt.

clarkz71
05-22-09, 06:27 AM
It's not removing that's the problem, it's tightening it when
installing it. Takes over 200 ft lbs (don't remember the spec off hand)

If it's not tight enough the oil pump can slip.

tateos
05-22-09, 12:38 PM
I found the removal extremely difficult - the install extremely easy. The crankshaft bolt is tightened to a certain torque - I can't remember exactly - maybe 24 ft pounds - and then 120 degrees/1/3rd turn. I thought it was really easy to install - felt like maybe 60-80 ft pounds. It was so easy compared to removal that I thought I did it wrong and loosened it and tried it again, but same result and everything with the engine, including oil pressure, has been perfect.

jeffrsmith
05-22-09, 11:52 PM
I used the bolt through the starter opening as Tateos mentioned, it worked great - saved $150. I am really glad I am a member of the forum and had access to the advice of its members - I was really sweating the idea of buying a $150 single use tool.